PDA

View Full Version : Compression 30 hp KOhler spec

newblade
05-05-2007, 02:29 PM
What should the compression be on a 30 hp kohler when it is new, I checked mine to see how it was.

Thanks,
Chris

Bill Kapaun
05-05-2007, 04:33 PM
You really can't get an accurate reading because the ACR holds the exhaust valve open too long at cranking speed. I'd venture to guess a slight difference in crank speed would have an effect.

Restrorob
05-05-2007, 08:15 PM
As Bill stated there is no accurate or set compression reading due to variances with ACR's.

If a leak-down tester is not available a compression test will give some info. of the condition of a engine.

Engines with/without ACR should have at-least 60 lbs compression to start and at that low reading could be harder to start.

A compression test on a twin cylinder engine w/wo ACR can give a good idea of any major problems by the variance between the cylinders (cylinder balance). For example; If one cylinder tested at 180 lbs. and the other tested at 110 lbs. one could be safe in thinking there is a problem with the low cylinder.

That's where the leak-down test comes in, To determine what the problem may be, Valves, rings or blown head gasket.