PDA

View Full Version : Impossible Southern Turf Yard????

RAlmaroad
05-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Well Guys:
I'm in trouble--Another clients wants me to do the impossible--I need help. The yard is full of Green Kyllinga (can be treated with Basagran), Dallisgrass--can be treated with Vantage and Dichondra (ponyfoot)-treated with Atrazine and three way.

I have plenty of Atrazine and Three-way--never used any Basagran and Vantage.

OK--question is what mix would be in a cocktail to treat all of these in a CENTIPEDE YARD????? Yard is about 7500 sf.

Dallisgrass could be spotted with Roundup which still leaves a problem with the Dichondra

Any help from Southern Turf guys????

Thanks,
Roy

ThreeWide
05-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Certainty is labeled for control of Kyllinga and can be used on Centipede. The good news is you can use Certainty for lots of other things as well. Such as Fescue and Poa removal from Bermuda/Zoysia and Nutsedge control on most warm season turf. I don't think it would sit on your shelf unused.

Too bad you have Dallisgrass, that is a pain under any circumstance. No choice but Vantage there.

Dichondra can be controlled with Atrazine or a 3-way mix, but not with a single app. Some formulations of 3-way are not labeled for Centipede depending on the percentages of 2,4-d. Trimec Southern is one that you can use.

Roigator
05-06-2007, 09:41 PM
I would mix basagran w/ manor or blade for most broadleaf weeds and dicondra (I found that basagran alone does nothing). For quick results for broadleaf weed control, mix manor/blade w/ quicksilver or octane. Sedgehammer works alright for green kyllinga. When was that centipede grass lawn put down? In the FL area, those don't survive too long due to ring nematodes and ground pearls.

RAlmaroad
05-07-2007, 06:43 AM
This yard has been down for years--I've advised the guy on leveling and replacing the sod, which he has done. He put in his irrigation. Now he wants me to help on the weeds. It's a hard yard to manage as it is partically in shade, has some St. Augustine, bare spots, and on and on. What about Atrazine and Basagran. Ric has a cocktail of this for his Bermudagrass in Fl. St. Augustine and centipede are so picky. He's a neighbor and old. His road fontage is pure sand without any irrigation. Any ideas there? I was thinking of that mulch and Bermudagrass.
Thanks,
Roy

Ric
05-07-2007, 10:53 AM
This yard has been down for years--I've advised the guy on leveling and replacing the sod, which he has done. He put in his irrigation. Now he wants me to help on the weeds. It's a hard yard to manage as it is partically in shade, has some St. Augustine, bare spots, and on and on. What about Atrazine and Basagran. Ric has a cocktail of this for his Bermudagrass in Fl. St. Augustine and centipede are so picky. He's a neighbor and old. His road fontage is pure sand without any irrigation. Any ideas there? I was thinking of that mulch and Bermudagrass.
Thanks,
Roy

Roy

Correction I work mostly with St Augustine turf. The Basagram and Atrazine cocktail is used on St Augustine. Atrazine is not recommend on Bermuda. My area is too hot for Centipede so I can't help you there.

BTW My own yard 5 acres is mostly Bahia and Bermuda. I chemically mow it with Roundup every 6 weeks and have no weeds. I only cut it every 6 weeks in the rainy season right before I chemically mow it. Chemical mowing with Roundup is best done with a well calibrated low volume boom sprayer. The trick is in the calibration.

RAlmaroad
05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Ric:
Most of the chems that refer to St. Augustine are the same for Centipede with exception to amt. that is used. They both grow from stolons. Is there something other than the gene pool of the plants that i should know about? What would you use for that Green Kyllinga, yellow sedge(Sand spurs) and Dichoranda (Wild geranium type of stuff--low growing on the ground) I have Atrazine, Image, Sedgehammer, Southern Speedzone, Southern Ag's Weed Killer with Trimec--formulated for Centipede and St. Augustine (10% Mecaprop) and Basagran. I was thinking of using the Trimec (Dichondra) with the Basagran (Sedges) at the lower limits. Or, two applications: One with Image for the sedges and Trimec for the Dichondra.

Ric
05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Roy

Sledge Hammer or Image should take care of Killinga, Sedge, Dichoranda and Sandspurs.

The ""(Wild geranium type of stuff--low growing on the ground)"" I would try a thing a bob with a do hickey on it.

RAlmaroad
05-07-2007, 12:39 PM
We'll try the whatamathing with the whirrlygig . Should work.
Thanks for your vast knowledge.
Roy

vegomatic40
05-07-2007, 08:37 PM
It's been many moons ago when I last worked in a St. Augustine market but Dichondra was always a pain then. Unable to spray it with Trimec unless the turf was completely dormant as I recall but could be wrong...hell I thought Roger Clemens was done LOL.

RAlmaroad
05-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Veg: There's a lot of vacant lots and centipede on county roads in SC. I'm going to put my chemistry to work and come up with some cocktails of Sedgehammer and Atrazine for a test, some image(Imaquine) and Sedgehammer (Halosulfone) using the lowest of recommended use and just try. These guys that I'm helping aren't paying me. They're neightbors and they will buy what chems I need. I just brings my medium tanks and sprayer and piddle. But I'll get the correct mix. I just don't want to wind up with a bunch of useless stuff. I have Atrazine, Sedgehammer, Basagran, Trimec Classic, Southern Ags. Trimec. here in Tennessee. I bought some image and the neightbors are just glad to have someone to help them out without costing an arm and a leg (gas prices). There's only 5 now 6 neighbors that really care about their yard. I'm sure that Trimec would kill the St. Augustine and Centipede. Atraziine is #1 choice of many. I'm working with the County Extention Agent who is willing to supply some sample bottles, provided I give them a written report on findings. Hell, that's nothing--I've done that for 40 years.
Anyway, Thanks for the heads up on the Trimec

wrivers
05-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Certainty at 1.25 oz/acre will control Dichondra and green kyllinga easily. It can also be used to supress Dallisgrass. It's expensive, but at least it's available in 1.25 oz bottles now instead of the 5 oz bottles only at $375 a pop. Make sure you use a surfactant.

Ric
05-08-2007, 06:02 PM
RAlmaroad

One thing you to need to know about Sedge Hammer. Once you mix it, It is only good for less than 4 hours. Then it loses it effect. For that reason I only use it in a back pack sprayer unless I have a very large area to spray. I have never mixed it with an other chemical for the same reason. BTW It should get your thing of a jig with a what you call it that looks like a geranium. Good Luck.

RAlmaroad
05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
RAlmaroad

One thing you to need to know about Sedge Hammer. Once you mix it, It is only good for less than 4 hours. Then it loses it effect. For that reason I only use it in a back pack sprayer unless I have a very large area to spray. I have never mixed it with an other chemical for the same reason. BTW It should get your thing of a jig with a what you call it that looks like a geranium. Good Luck.

Thanks Rick: I did not know that there was a time factor but the times that I used it--just mixed and sprayed generally in early time of day thing also for less evaporation. Mine are the 9 gram:gal small pack in the backpack. With that time factor/cost--no testing--Gees, 4 hours but IF It'll work that thingy geranium weed too. Actually that is the Dichondra--mean stuff. Image didn't do a very good job on it last year--about a 25% damage rate.
Thanks again
Roy

RAlmaroad
05-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Certainty at 1.25 oz/acre will control Dichondra and green kyllinga easily. It can also be used to supress Dallisgrass. It's expensive, but at least it's available in 1.25 oz bottles now instead of the 5 oz bottles only at $375 a pop. Make sure you use a surfactant.

Thanks Wrivers: I've never used any of the "Certainty". The fescue and bluegrass mix here in TN did well with Speedzone and Trimec. The St. Augustine and Centipede is in the little community where we have a house in SC. I only take care of 6 yards for some older friends and neighbors. They buy the chems to apply, I bring the medium stuff from TN and spray their yards. My biggest pay was a huge platter of Bar-ba-cued Country Style Pork Ribs. Can that small pack be broken down for mulitple uses? As mentioned, I don't know anything about it. Educate me.
Thanks,
Roy

ThreeWide
05-08-2007, 07:57 PM
You can also use the Certainty to clean up Bermuda. Not quite as good as Revolver, but close.

It will work well for you at home too.

wrivers
05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks Wrivers: I've never used any of the "Certainty". The fescue and bluegrass mix here in TN did well with Speedzone and Trimec. The St. Augustine and Centipede is in the little community where we have a house in SC. I only take care of 6 yards for some older friends and neighbors. They buy the chems to apply, I bring the medium stuff from TN and spray their yards. My biggest pay was a huge platter of Bar-ba-cued Country Style Pork Ribs. Can that small pack be broken down for mulitple uses? As mentioned, I don't know anything about it. Educate me.
Thanks,
Roy

Yes, the Certainty comes in a bottle and has a scoop very similar to your Sedgehammer. One 1.25 oz bottle has ~45 scoops and will treat a lot of turf. Mix 1 scoop in 2 gallons of water, add 4 teaspoons of non-ionic surfactant, and this will treat 1000 sqft. BTW, using too much surfactant makes it hotter. Wes

RAlmaroad
05-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Well, now that sheds a lot of light on the subject. I was under the impression that 1.25oz would be a one shot in the tank mix. 1.25 oz ain't much. Thanks, Southern turf is a whole world apart from this tuff fescue. I have the Southern Ag. Sufacant and generally use 1 teaspoon/gal.
Thanks,
Roy

wrivers
05-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, now that sheds a lot of light on the subject. I was under the impression that 1.25oz would be a one shot in the tank mix. 1.25 oz ain't much. Thanks, Southern turf is a whole world apart from this tuff fescue. I have the Southern Ag. Sufacant and generally use 1 teaspoon/gal.
Thanks,
Roy

Well, don't put Certainty on any fescue or other cool-season grass you want to keep. It will smoke it like nobody's business. Good luck. Wes

RAlmaroad
05-09-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm needing to treat a SC centipede lawn. Looked at the label for it--impressed.
Thanks. My license is in TN and don't charge my neighbors anything except the cost of the chem. With that in mind, are there any samples packs from suppliers? Maybe if I call Monsanto? Worth a try.

RAlmaroad
05-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Sedge Hammer or Image should take care of Killinga, Sedge, Dichoranda and Sandspurs.
Ric:
What temps would the Sedgehammer be safe to spray--below 90 degrees in a spot treatment situation?
Thanks,
Roy

Ric
05-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Sedge Hammer or Image should take care of Killinga, Sedge, Dichoranda and Sandspurs.
Ric:
What temps would the Sedgehammer be safe to spray--below 90 degrees in a spot treatment situation?
Thanks,
Roy

Roy

I am not the quick version of Readers Digest. I feel I have already given you a lot of information. Do I have to come spray it for you also????

Read the Label, read the Label. If there is no heat restriction on the label, then there is no heat restriction. But any restriction on the label is there for a reason. Print a hard copy of the label and read it several times. Then with a felt tip pen, high-lite the information that you feel is most important to find quickly. Place this label in your label binder with all the other labels of pesticides that you use. Be sure to also have the MSDS in that same binder. That is the way most professionals do and the state inspector likes to see.

OK so I am a Cantankerous Old Guy. BUT. If I give you a fish, I feed you for a day. If I teach you how to fish, I feed you for a life time. BTW Where do I send my bill.

RAlmaroad
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Thanks Ric:
The label makes no reference to St. Augustine grass and since I'm new to the St. Augustine I thought with you experience that some of these things might not be as effective when used ln cooler climates. Like, the label makes no mentioning of the 4 hour time limit that you told me about in an earlier post.
Thanks again
Roy--I'm probably older and a more cantankerous old coot than you.

Ric
05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks Ric:
The label makes no reference to St. Augustine grass and since I'm new to the St. Augustine I thought with you experience that some of these things might not be as effective when used ln cooler climates. Like, the label makes no mentioning of the 4 hour time limit that you told me about in an earlier post.
Thanks again
Roy--I'm probably older and a more cantankerous old coot than you.

Roy

May I suggest you sub this job out to someone who can read labels. At 66 years old and without my reading glasses I can clearly see the words "St Augustine" listed as a tolerant warm season turf on the label.

As for the 4 hour mixed life of Sledge Hammer. There are a lot of things not on the label that should be. That is where reading the supplements and all manufacturer's information about their product counts. Reading makes you informed and an informed Applicator is a Professional Applicator.

RAlmaroad
05-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Ouch--You've got 4 years on me. I saw the St. Augustine, Centipede and other grasses. What I was refering to was that some chems are best not used over 90 degrees and though with your vast knowledge of warm season grasses that you may had experienced something like this. I know that Atrazine will do harm on centipede if applied over 90 degrees. An by no mentioning St. Augustine or any other grasses in the instructions that was all that I was referring to; even with my old eyes i could see the tolerent grasses.
Thanks again have a great weekend, we need rain badly in TN
Roy
PS I have a neighbor that is moving to Dade County--Are you close to there?

Ric
05-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Ouch--You've got 4 years on me. I saw the St. Augustine, Centipede and other grasses. What I was refering to was that some chems are best not used over 90 degrees and though with your vast knowledge of warm season grasses that you may had experienced something like this. I know that Atrazine will do harm on centipede if applied over 90 degrees. An by no mentioning St. Augustine or any other grasses in the instructions that was all that I was referring to; even with my old eyes i could see the tolerent grasses.
Thanks again have a great weekend, we need rain badly in TN
Roy
PS I have a neighbor that is moving to Dade County--Are you close to there?

Roy

Glad to hear you finally found your glasses in time for todays Readers Digest review. In this chapter Readers Digest will disscuss heat restrictions of Atrazine as listed on the label and the lack of a heat restriction on the label of Sledge hammer. Be sure to order your copy at this website

https://www.greenbook.net/shop/cart/shop.asp

PS Dr. Ex-wife of Ric and Soon to be Dr Daughter of Ric both live in Dade county Fla. Tell your Neighbor Espero que hablen espanol. Ningún hable ingles.