PDA

View Full Version : Soap Suds In The Fountain...

powerreel
08-09-2001, 07:58 PM
I do a few fountains, nothing special just skim the schmeg and toss in some shock every now and then. I have this one fountain that gets dishsoaped once a month - six weeks. I try to keep the area super clean, not even cigarette butts but the bratty kids have @ it now and then. Keeping up on trash flow really helps to reduce vandalism, what do other people do and do others have these crisis also? Any funny stories?

Stonehenge
08-10-2001, 08:19 PM
I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but.......Huh? Schmeg, shock, trash flow?

You appear to be speaking language that's foreign to me.

Lanelle
08-10-2001, 09:32 PM
Are you certain that it is dishsoap and not excess protein that is foaming? Please check out the more biologically friendly control systems available, starting with Aquascape. Shocking turns into a vicious cycle because the dead algae is fertilizer for the next crop of algae. I have had a pond for two years and have never shocked it or needed to and the water is clear.

powerreel
08-11-2001, 12:54 PM
These are high traffic fountains @ commercial banks that take some fire from vandals. Schmeg is little bits of leaves,windblown trash,Fir needles,gum wrappers,cigarette butts,etc. sorta looks like this:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1472735&a=11082911&p=46683642
looks like that but it floats! as for shock treatment I use that maybe once a month. Stonehenge, sorry if Generation X is rising to power you need to adapt!;)

Stonehenge
08-12-2001, 10:33 PM
Well, I'm certainly no expert in the field of water features, but am learning. As for adapting to gen-x taking power...there's about 7 dog years between your age and mine...not over the hill just yet.

Let's talk hardscapes and I'm confident my language will appear unfamiliar to you.

But I do appreciate the lingo/water feature education - I had a problem with the picture, however - a photopoint window pops up asking me for a login and password when I load this thread.

powerreel
08-13-2001, 09:49 PM
Hope I didn't offend you that was NOT my objective. Here is the image of what schmeg is, I am confident you know what it is.....
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1472735&a=12746407&p=46683642

The water forum was dormant and I just wanted to liven it up a bit with a trademark offbeat post. I never meant to attack you or make you feel put off. I just got the 128 mg card for my camera so I will post some true photos of Soap Suds In The Fountain soon, teenagers willing! ;)

Stonehenge
08-13-2001, 10:37 PM
Don't worry - my skin is thicker than that. I just wanted you to know I wasn't as much of an old fart as you might think.

As I'd said, I'm a novice at the water feature thing, so someone with much more experience appears to be speaking Greek to me.

diginahole
08-17-2001, 06:45 PM
In a town near me they have a fountain that flows at about a bizillion gpm. One morning I drove by and it looked like someone dumped 10 gallons of dish soap in it. There was bubbles for 30 feet on all sides of the giant fountain.

t
09-07-2001, 11:38 PM
what is shock?

powerreel
09-13-2001, 03:38 AM
Bleach...

t
09-13-2001, 09:15 AM
oh' thanks::eek:

LAWNGODFATHER
11-26-2001, 08:34 AM
Chlorine, like for a swimming pool.

I wouldn't use bleach for cleaning, although it's not much different.

To shock a pool, you would put in an excecive amount. Then wait for it to stablize