PDA

View Full Version : finale

olive123
05-05-2007, 07:13 PM
is finale translocated or can i chemically edge runners with it.

Ric
05-05-2007, 07:40 PM
is finale translocated or can i chemically edge runners with it.

Olive

Finale (Glufosinate ammonium) does translocate to the roots and faster than glyphosate at a higher cost. Chemical edging would be your call on how big an area you might want to treat. Aren't you a Broward county Employee with Road & Ride Away??? I believe on Road curbing you would see very little die back. BTW St Augustine needs but just touch of Finale or Roundup to kill it, 0.5 oz to a gallon will do the job.

olive123
05-05-2007, 09:30 PM
yeah the trouble starts when the lawn crews spray the tree rings and are too lazy to edge them first. You can as much as a foot+ in these dry conditions.
I read the label once and wasnt sure if it was trans or not. For some reason I thought it was contact. Just like to use the city to test everything and every scenario.

Jason Rose
05-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I didn't even know that Finale was still on the market... Haven't seen it around here, even in the consumer stores in several years.

I have used it in the past, years ago, it did work well, and it did seem to kill more than I sprayed, lol. Also had risidual effects, such as, step on a place you sprayed a bit ago and then onto the lawn = brown footprints! Roundup never seemed to do that.

Ric
05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Olive

Diquat and Pelargonic Acid are both contacts that work very well. Diquat is sold as a genetic But Reward is a name brand that most people know. I find, you must add a lot of sticker to make it work. Pelargonic Acid is a very cheap chemical but I can not find a genetic for it and must pay the high price of Scythe. IMHO Scythe works great as a stand alone product. Scythe can also be mixed with Glyphosate for a fast knock down and will not effect the systemic action of the Glyphosate. You will see the weeds wilt within 2 hours after applying Scythe. If your spray guy doesn't edge first then these contacts might work well for you.

Several counties have started to Chemically mow Road & Ride Aways that have Bahia. I approached my county about doing it at a great cost saving. I must not know the right people because I couldn't sell the Idea even with plenty of documentation from U of F and many other counties. Has Broward county done any Chemical mowing???

olive123
05-06-2007, 10:43 AM
i work for a city within broward county, I dont believe so. City and county work is a strange thing. It often depends who your supervisor is. Some are there so long they are jaded to new ideas and theories. If an idea fails it looks bad on them becaUSE all the big wigs look th them not the employees that perform.
And there are those who wont accept an idea unless it came from their brain.
I basically run the citys program and I am told what they want done. I get to experiment with certain things but the mind set is if they dont see results immediately it doesnt work. It can get mighty challenging when they want to see bahia grow 5x faster that it is possible! (true story) Its an eight hour day, no headaches from customers, retirement and it doesnt conflict with my commercial license. All in all you cant complain, just have to pick the battles.

Ric
05-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Olive

I worked for the State of Louisiana for many years and can Identify with your statements about the bureaucratic system and the employees. My experience with Government jobs has been 90% of your time is spend politicking your job and 5% of the time spend actually doing the job.

BTW I have a ex sister-in-law who lives in Pembroke Pines. We are friendlier than I am with my ex-wife. In fact We do some investment together. But the point here is that area has some very upscale housing and the roads have some great landscape. You may have the traffic, I am a small town guy and prefer to stay that way.