Or is it... ?

http://nikka.cheb.com.au/pics5%20001.jpg

http://nikka.cheb.com.au/pics5%20002.jpg

Lesco spreader.... $400
scrap steel from local shop..... $27
Having a friend that can weld you anything... PRICELESS

mcwlandscaping
05-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Those plow mounts sure do come in handy for all types of things!! :)

Nice work

ed2hess
05-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Nice job on it but I would look for backup location.....$400 spreader on the front of the truck:hammerhead:

mkroher
05-05-2007, 10:38 PM
where else could you put a spreader with 80lbs of material in it, and that's it's easy on your back?

lawn king
05-06-2007, 12:21 PM
That will not fly with the massachusetts DOT. I hear the CT DOT is even stricter. Time will tell?

lawnservice
05-06-2007, 03:23 PM
we carry spreaders in front. never had a legal problem with it in MA

but the statement of carrying 80# product in a spreader is not being responsible in my opinion.

lawn king
05-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Have you been pulled over by the dot for an inspection?

lawnservice
05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
never while we have had a spreader on front. but SUV's carry racks in front all the time. the coke-a-cola guy carrys his hand truck in front.

my buddy is with the rmv and I have asked about this....funny thing is nobody seems to know for sure. the 'advice' i've got is as long as no lights are obstructed (headlights or signal lights) and the registration plate is visible

these days very rarely do we have anything mounted to the front end so its no longer an issue for us. and in my honest opinion....its kinda ugly

mkroher
05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
carrying 80lbs in a spreader is not responsible? what about the guys with 120lbs of product in a permagreen hanging off the back of the truck?

no i haven't been inspected by the dot yet.

I didn't realize i'd get all this bashing on lawnsite.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
If you think this is bashing then you need to toughen up a little. Sounds more like concern and constructive thinking.....

ampeg76
05-07-2007, 04:10 PM
carrying 80lbs in a spreader is not responsible? what about the guys with 120lbs of product in a permagreen hanging off the back of the truck?

looks good to me bro!

i think the possibility of having the fertilizer and possible impregnated chemicals spill in a wreck is what the concern is about, nasty stuff:)

best to have it empty when traveling

lawnservice
05-07-2007, 06:17 PM

easy there fella. nobody is bashing you in fact I for one am glad you found a good and inexpensive way to carry your spreader. Good for you.

I just feel traveling with a full hopper is less than ideal and doesnt matter to me if its 80#, 120# or 10# in the hopper. Really no need for it.
peace

americanlawn
05-07-2007, 08:13 PM
LOL, but the pic reminds me of all those "rednecks ways to do it" jokes I get emailed to me.

Sorry, but it made me laugh. No offense, but it looks like an additional front bumper? Maybe a five star rating now, so you can save money on car insurance? Sorry, but it cracks me up.

Bottom line: I'm sure it works well. In fact "All American Turf Beauty" uses front spreader racks like these.
We use rear spreader racks too, but they mount inside the hitch receiver on the rear of our trucks (LESCO), and they look professional.

Our rear spreader carriers are nice for 2 reasons:
1) guys do not have to lift them onto the bed of the truck.
2) they mount on the rear where the bags of fert are.

lawnservice
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I'm guessing he tows a trailer, hence the front mount for spreader?

mkroher
05-08-2007, 06:34 PM
yes i tow a trailer.

redneck? no way. I think my rig looks awesome and professional. :P

I do get a lot of looks though. A few people thought I actually drive on the lawns to spread product... c'mon now.

americanlawn
05-08-2007, 07:41 PM
mk -- I understand now why you use the front end carrier. I would do the same thing if I pulled a trailer. Sounds like you're prepared for different jobs. That saves gasoline money so you do not have to make a second trip.

I did not mean to criticize -- sorry, cuz I think you're doing the right thing.

Cool! American.

mkroher
05-08-2007, 08:26 PM
As far as the DOT, I'm not concerned. I've heard that a front mounted leaf vac with the pipe going across the front is illegal. I haven't been stopped yet. (knock on wood). I guess it depends on the mood the inspector is in. The way I see it, he has bigger trucks to worry about. I'm rarely on the highway when I work, all side roads, especially if I'm carrying a load. I drive oil trucks in the winter so I'm well aware of laws/pull overs/inspections enforced by the "evil DOT".

lawn king
05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Im not against the front mount, i just dont want anything at all to catch the eye of a dot cop. If it works for you thats great, good job!

americanlawn
05-09-2007, 08:52 PM
lawn king -- you got that right...the D.O.T. is always looking for a buck.

One of my guys was stopped last month by D.O.T. cuz he had a carrier rack on the back with a PG ride-on. Anything that sticks out the back over 48 inches requires lights. TOO BAD for the "DOT guy"-----cuz our rack was 47 1/2 inches!!! LOL - FINALLY we got one over the government!

lawn king
05-10-2007, 06:11 AM
I dont have any beef with the dot or any other cops, i just dont need the day schedule messed up with an inspection!