PDA

View Full Version : ZTR stalls w/o brake engaged

bill bass
05-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Hit a metal rod in the yard on my Snapper czt19480kwv. Engine died. Turned off blade , restarted,backed up, engaged blade, engine died. Turned off blade , restarted, and drove it into the garage. Now , it will start with parking brake engaged, but, dies as soon as the brake is released. It also will die (with the brake on) if, I try to engage the blades. I have replaced the blades and they do spin freely. I checked the 4 fuses under the seat and they are all good. The blade was really not that damaged. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Restrorob
05-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I understand this has nothing to do with the blade hitting that rod but it sounds like a classic case of the seat safety switch taking a dump at the same time.

bill bass
05-05-2007, 11:28 PM
I checked the switch with a vom. It is normally closed, so I have unplugged it from the seat.

Bill Kapaun
05-05-2007, 11:54 PM
IF normally closed, did you "jumper" the wires?
Or am I misunderstanding you "backwards?
IOW, do you consider "normal" to be when you are sitting on it?

Restrorob
05-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Some seat switch plug connectors have a switch made into to them that is activated when plugged onto the seat switch. On some of these units you can't just un-plug the seat switch or jump it because this second switch will not be activated.

John Gamba
05-06-2007, 08:58 AM
Hit a metal rod in the yard on my Snapper czt19480kwv. Engine died. Turned off blade , restarted,backed up, engaged blade, engine died. Turned off blade , restarted, and drove it into the garage. Now , it will start with parking brake engaged, but, dies as soon as the brake is released. It also will die (with the brake on) if, I try to engage the blades. I have replaced the blades and they do spin freely. I checked the 4 fuses under the seat and they are all good. The blade was really not that damaged. Any and all ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Are your blades turning freely

bill bass
05-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Normally closed- there continuity through the switch until I sit on the seat. When I depress the plunger on the switch, I lose that electrical continuity. That is why I unplugged it. It does sound like the seat switch circuit would cause it. It used to start without the parking brake applied. I currently have the new blades on, but need to loosen them and adjust to torque. I don't know why it won't move under it's own power. Anyone have a wiring diagram ?
I do appreciate the help.

bill bass
05-06-2007, 09:13 PM
I'll take a closer look at the seat switch Monday

Restrorob
05-06-2007, 09:43 PM
The red X shows what I was speaking of with the seat switch plug connector.

Good Luck

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/SnapperZTRWireDiagram.jpg

bill bass
05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the diagram. Aren't they the tricky ones.

bill bass
05-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Taped the switch plunger down and hooked up the connector. Lawnmower works- didn't try the blades till I retorque them. Thank you very much

Bill

:)