PDA

View Full Version : "itchy-balls"??

ACutAbovesiny
05-05-2007, 11:40 PM
What is the correct name For "itchy-balls?"
What type of tree do they fall from?

I hate going to customers houses and saying "its gonna be hard to blow all they itchy balls."

Just curious...if anyone knows what they are please tell.

fga
05-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I find it easier to replace the term "blow" with "clean-up" itchy balls.

or "Its going to be tough trying to clean-up itchy balls with the blower"

On a side note.... how are you dealing with the local new enforced regulations? have you applied for you dumping permits yet? Alot of $$$$

Companies are droppping like flies this year due to them.

ACutAbovesiny
05-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I find it easier to replace the term "blow" with "clean-up" itchy balls.

or "Its going to be tough trying to clean-up itchy balls with the blower"

On a side note.... how are you dealing with the local new enforced regulations? have you applied for you dumping permits yet? Alot of $$$$

Companies are droppping like flies this year due to them.

Im waiting for a reply. The app for the business integrity commision was like 40 pages.

How did you find out about it?? I had a customer tell me about it.

I have been using another place out in Jersey called Generated Materials in Edison. No lisence needed. Have you ever used they to dump? They take everything except dirt.

ACutAbovesiny
05-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Its gonna cost us about $2200.

$1000 for the lisence
$350 per principle
$??? per truck
etc.

ACutAbovesiny
05-05-2007, 11:59 PM
I still dont know how much they are gonna charge per yard/ton.

SoloSulkySurfer
05-06-2007, 12:05 AM
You know when I saw your post calling them "itchy balls" I had to laugh. The only other person that I know that calls them that is a customer from Staten Island (must be a NY thing?). They come from a sweet gum tree. They are an absolute pain to pick up. Even my walkbehind blower does'nt get them all out of the grass. The only way to really get them out of the grass seems to be to rake them. Do yourself a favor and charge accordingly, then suggest to the customer to have the tree cut down.

ACutAbovesiny
05-06-2007, 12:09 AM
LOL thanks.

fga
05-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Its gonna cost us about $2200.

$1000 for the lisence
$350 per principle
$??? per truck
etc.

I heard it can take up to 3 years to get the permit.

I don't remember the cost of the permit annualy, but you have to pay $320 for a temp permit immediately.

Its $6 a yard, but you have to have to open an account there, like E-Z pass. You have to put $1000 into that account just to start (so add an additional g to the cost:rolleyes: ). you swipe your card each time you go.

The thing that really bothered me, was minimum required insurance premiums. You can't have standard commercial insurance, you had to have 100-300.. which would increase my truck insurance from $1600 a year, to around $3800-4000 a year.:dizzy:
Between, GW in NJ, and mulching, and customer dump areas, i may wait until next year. No customer wants an increase, so they are coming up with ways to dispose also. I just bought a second trailer, an open one, for dump runs.

ACutAbovesiny
05-06-2007, 03:27 AM
Check out that place generated materials in Edison. it costs alittle more but you dont need all those requirments. PM for the phone number.

mdvaden
05-06-2007, 03:51 AM
Are you refering to the small prickly round pods that fall off of the sweet gum tree? Maybe 3/4" diameter.

That's what I call them, instead of little balls with pricks.

topsites
05-06-2007, 04:28 AM
They're called gumballs, the br600 backpack cleans them up with a relative ease.

ACutAbovesiny
05-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the info. Had no idea they were from sweet gum trees.

QualityLawnCare4u
05-07-2007, 01:58 AM
:laugh: :laugh: When I saw this post I was thinking "this is going to be a good laugh here":laugh: I have never heard a term down here like this so can't say I know what they are. Only itchy balls I dealt with was after getting in some poison ivy:laugh: Sorry, could not resist! Good luck in finding a solution!

ACutAbovesiny
05-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Its so weird that everyone around here knows exactly what Im talking about but other people have no idea. It must be a Staten Island thing...Ive always referred to them as "itchy-Balls."

StBalor
05-07-2007, 08:08 AM
They're called gumballs, the br600 backpack cleans them up with a relative ease.

We call them gumballs here also.

cutbetterthanyou
05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
We call them gumballs here also.

here too

I run over them a couple of times with my lazer with the bagger on it. It does ok but they will jamm in your pulleys and throw the belt off some times.

Fordsuvparts
05-07-2007, 11:33 PM
We call it Jock Itch here.

tdf
05-08-2007, 12:33 AM
After a week of 90+ temps we call it having the dog balls.

chris638
05-08-2007, 12:41 AM
If you really want to make some money. Become a custom applicator and then sell your customer's tree injections using a product called 'Snipper' that prevents the gum balls from forming. Some judge years ago had a hankering to go around and plants Sweet Gums everywhere. People get fed up with raking them. People around here pay decent money for that injection.

ACutAbovesiny
05-08-2007, 12:46 AM
If you really want to make some money. Become a custom applicator and then sell your customer's tree injections using a product called 'Snipper' that prevents the gum balls from forming. Some judge years ago had a hankering to go around and plants Sweet Gums everywhere. People get fed up with raking them. People around here pay decent money for that injection.

Interesting...how long is the process? Multiple injections or seasonal?