PDA

View Full Version : Oil problems with Kohler

yardboyltd
08-09-2001, 09:07 PM
I'm looking at a Snapper 60" midmount about 6 years old. It has 2100 hours on a 20hp Kohler. The owner stated that he had probems with a build-up running 10w-30 and so he replaced the case. Would this be some type of varnishing from running in the summer? Why whould he have to replace the case? Anything I should be weary of? Is this engine dependable? Thanks

Dave
08-09-2001, 09:53 PM
what do you mean buy haveing build up??also what do you mean by case?? was this a new engine he put in ?? short block or mini block??2100 hours is a fairly large amountof hours for a air cooled engine.I would get documentation on what he did to this engine before I would buy it and possibly a service record of it

Eric ELM
08-09-2001, 10:07 PM
I would like to add to Dave's questions, what 20 hp Kohler is it? Is it the Command or the Magnum? One that age could be either since that is about when they switched over to the Command engine.

If it is the Magnum, it is about all done for, if it's the Command, it could have quite a bit of life left. I have a 22 hp Kohler Command with over 3550 hours and I've heard of them going over 4,000 hours. It all depends on how they are taken care of and how good the filtration is on it.

vipermanz
08-09-2001, 10:14 PM
is it splash lube or full pressure?

awm
08-10-2001, 03:33 PM
man i lke that projection on the command engine eric. if thats the case this thing might not ever let me get me a hustler z.
course by that time some problem with the hustler may have come up. good kinda problems to have.:)

yardboyltd
08-10-2001, 06:57 PM
I went to the dealer that sold it to him today. They said they think he put in a shortblock 1.5 years ago. It's the magnum..., will it last me a year to make me money for a new Z?

TLS
08-10-2001, 07:11 PM
I would personally stay away from any commercial equipment that is 6+ years old. Another thing is that it is a Snapper. Not the top of my list of good commercial equipment. Add to that the shakey engine story and then that it is a Magnum engine (outdated flathead design). I'd stick with what you got now "?" or go with some kind of inexpensive belt walkbehind.

yardboyltd
08-10-2001, 07:39 PM
I'll go ahead and explain what's going on. I've been offered to purchase part of a business. This would be part of the deal and necessary to maintain the yards I'd get. I only need it to last the next season and I'll have more than enough to buy a new mower.

TLS
08-10-2001, 07:45 PM
Here's some advise....

Take that business buying money and buy yourself a new ZTR. Take the rest of the money and solicit more business. I would never recommend BUYING someone elses business/nightmare. This purchase deal may sound like a good idea (and it may well be) but if the equipment lineup is shakey what are the accounts like?

Think things over...

yardboyltd
08-10-2001, 09:55 PM
Don't worry I'm doing my homework. The lawns are very nice. He's probally does the most quality work in town. One is a large 6 site industrial account. One is for a CEO of a public traded oil company. I've seen most of the yards. Most are for the wealthier people. Some of his equipment prices are high and if they don't come down, I'll be getting my own.

johnhenry
08-10-2001, 11:03 PM
I would agree with TLS .You should stay away from it .For a snapper to have that many hours on it ,Not only the engine but the frame and esp the deck might be shot.I had a friend a few years back buy about used snapper ztr and ran it for two weeks and then the deck just cracked at the spindles.I agree with Eric also about the kohler engine.But sometimes we worry too much about the engine we buy and dont look at other possible hazzards when buying. Best of luck I know its not easy getting started in this business.

Mark
08-11-2001, 12:19 AM
Hum Snapper does not make what i call grade A commercial equipment. I personally think they make the best walkbehind on the market. Ive had one for 9yrs and it still will do the bush-hog thing. Guess its just where your location is. I demoed the new Scag advantage 52" walkbehind last week for 3 days and it broke down two out of the three days. Two where idler springs that broke,then a motor pump was slugish,prob just made the specks. So im gettng a new Snapper next month,and use my 9yr old for a backup and sell my scag i already have. Marks Mowing Service

accentlc
08-11-2001, 01:46 AM
I thought you always use staight 30 wt oil in anything air-cooled, because the high temps break down multi-weight oi!!