PDA

View Full Version : belt drive? or direct drive?

Turfinator1
05-06-2007, 02:13 PM
I was wondering which in you opinon is better? What are the ups and downs of each? Thanks

jameson
05-06-2007, 05:22 PM
I was wondering which in you opinon is better? What are the ups and downs of each? Thanks

What are you going to use the pressure washer for?

You'll get a lot more GPMs (higher PSI) from a belt-drive but for most usages, a direct drive will suffice (plus no belts to change). If you go with a direct drive, look for a ceramic plunger type.

squirtgun
05-06-2007, 06:07 PM
If you can afford a belt drive(only a few hundred $$ difference)get it.Belt cost are minimal compared to reliability.

bsoneill
06-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Sorry if this is a newbie question, I've just been researching PW over the last few days and want to make the right decision.

What makes the belt drive models better of the direct drive? Is it just the higher GPM and PSI? Or, will you get more life out of one versus the other? Initially, you would think DD is better (if you match the same GPM/PSI), but I trying to figure out what I am missing.

poolboy
06-02-2007, 06:03 PM
The pump on a belt drive unit is not worked as hard and it is located further away from the heat of the motor.

FCPWLLC
06-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Belt driven pumps rotate at lower rpms and don't vibrate as bad as a direct drive. Cooler and longer lasting. More times than not, a belt driven machine usually has a better quality pump mounted than the cheaper direct drive machines.

bsoneill
06-07-2007, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the advice.