PDA

View Full Version : 23hp Kaw upper seal

bobinMD
05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
exmark lazer z hp 52" with ~1100 hrs on it. this weekend mower started shaking and losing power and so i quickly shut it down. had just finished mowing 3 acres, dip stick showed no oil and seemed to be running hot, oil was fine before mowing. added a little bit of oil, maybe 1/4-1/2 qt , until it showed low on dip stick and re-started only to have a good deal of oil come out the top seal. removed flywheel and top seal was damaged/blown. removed valve covers and all seems intact, need to run compression test to verify cylinders when i get a new seal. can i check compression by just turning crank with a wrench? have heard some stories of these kawasaki's having upper bearing problems, any advice on checking for play withouth taking everything apart? if i need a new motor does anyone know what all of the kawasaki codes mean after the fh680V-? it is an FH680V-as10. what does the a or s or 10 stand for, i do not see any exact matches online? any idea on cost at a dealer for the same motor, lead time? thanks

MowerMedic77
05-06-2007, 07:04 PM
First let me say WELCOME to LAWNSITE :drinkup:

No you will not be able to turn the engine over fast enough to check the compression, you will need to reinstall the flywheel and remove the pto belt from the clutch to check if you have top end play(once flywheel is on you can grab it and see the movement side to side). The code will mean little to nothing to you it is how Kawi id's its motors. I cannot pull up kawi's site right now for some reason so I can't give you the engine price I will try again in a little bit.

bobinMD
05-06-2007, 08:10 PM
thanks for the welcome and info. i believe that what i am looking at now that the seal is removed is the crank/bushing interface? i think the manual allows a .010 dia gap, it is clearly more than that right now, i would say 3x that. i can live with a bit of an oil leak, but anyone know with that gap if it is just going to puke everywhere again immediatly? i'm guessing if a replacement case is available it is probably so expensive as to make buying the whole engine worthwhile. was hoping just to understand the engine codes so i could tell if the engines i find at smallenginewarehouse will work or not? i know there is a difference in pto/clutch interface dia's and length's but 23 numbers worth? are there different mounting patterns? or anything precluding me from picking any engine code with the right pto diameter? there seems to be several hundred dollars worth of price difference in different codes. thanks

MowerMedic77
05-06-2007, 10:07 PM
FH680V-FS06-S 1" PTO 23HP STD MSRP $1,550.00, This is the direct replacement.

This is the replacement with the Heavy Duty A/F assembly
FH680V-DS28S 1" PTO W/ H/D AIR FIL MSRP $1,640.00.

Restrorob
05-06-2007, 10:11 PM
As MM stated the numbers are for Kawasaki to identify their engines.

All FH series engines have the same bolt pattern and FH601 through FH721 all have the same charging systems. So all you should really need is the crank dimensions to find a replacement engine.