PDA

View Full Version : Biopesticide for Fire Ants Possible


tremor
05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
This could be big news if someone is able to develop this into a cost effective product that works.

In short the SINV-One may be able to wipe out a fire ant colony if properly presented.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6475831&nav=1TjD

Hey, stranger things have happened.

Ric
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Steve

Northerners have no idea of how much a problem Fire Ants can be here in the south. So far we have not been able to control Fire Ants only suppress them. Baits seem to give the best control, but they only work on about 90% of the population in an area. Blanket sprays only get 75% at best. Strong repellent insecticides are used mostly to chase away the other 25% not controlled by spraying. Just North of me is Manasota State park where research on Biological controls have been tried by the U of F. So far they have had little success. Fire Ants are not generally home or structure invaders, In our dry season they will invade structures looking for water.

BTW in our sandy soil areas Top Choice doesn't have the residual that it does on Clay soils. Lack of Chemical holding power (CEC) of sand is the problem not necessarily Top Choice.