PDA

View Full Version : 18 HP Briggs & Straton in a MTD No spark

sefh
05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Well I thought that I had a bad solenoid on my older (At least 15 years old) MTD and it was the starter. There is a green wire and red wire on the solenoid that I crossed when I put the solenoid on and the motor had alot of smoke (electrical) coming out of it. Now I can get the motor to crank but no spark. What do I have to replace now so I can get this to run. Thanks for the help.

bgarr
05-06-2007, 09:10 PM
disconnect the ground wire thats goes to the coil.if you have spark then you have a wiring problem.if not your coil is bad.

sefh
05-06-2007, 09:33 PM
Where would I find that wire?

Restrorob
05-06-2007, 10:15 PM
If this is the "L" head engine (No model #'s posted) it will exit the flywheel cover with the plug wires.

sefh
05-07-2007, 08:45 AM
I forgot the model of the motor at home. I will post it tonight.

sefh
05-07-2007, 09:45 PM
I had another coil off a 16hp Briggs, so I replaced it with this one. I took the ground off both old and new and it didn't run on old but runs on new but now it won't shut off. So I bought a toggle switch and ran it to the ground and coil and it now shuts off. I know it is not the correct way but for a 15 yr old tractor I think it will work fine. The tractor has set for 2 years now and the mice got to some of the wires. So it runs and that is all that matters. Thanks for the help.