PDA

View Full Version : Is my Encore WB belt drive a good mower?

Lil Encore48
08-09-2001, 10:56 PM
I just bought it used for $1500.00 about 2 months ago. Did I pay too much? Its about a 95 or 96 model. It has a 14 hp Kaw single cyl. engine, 48 inch deck, stock blades, and a homeade velky that works ok. Has what I estimate between 300 to 400 hours, engine doesn't use oil at all. The left wheel is a little higher than the right indicating a collision of some sort but the deck itself seems flat. Tranny is a peerless, has double belts to each wheel, uses the same spindles, bearings and housing as early Scag so I guess that is good or is it? I see Scag has a new bearing design. Does that mean the old stuff is junk. The deck where the spindles go through is about .310 inch. Is that thick enuff or shoud I reinforce the deck for longer life? How does the quality of cut of this mower compare to others in its class/price range? What blades would you recommend for this type deck and engine size?
Do I need to resell it while its still in reasonably good shape and get something else or just live with my decision and keep it.
Oh, and don't be bashful, tell me what you really think!
Jay R.

lawrence stone
08-10-2001, 10:14 PM
Do a search of the word "encore".

Lil Encore48
08-10-2001, 10:37 PM
Been there, done that.

vipermanz
08-11-2001, 04:03 AM
and?

Eric ELM
08-11-2001, 10:31 AM
There are not very many Encore owners on Lawnsite, so this is the reason for very few responses. If it cuts good and you are happy with it, you didn't pay to much. You don't get much for $1500 any more.

vipermanz
08-11-2001, 06:49 PM
how true eric , how true!

Lil Encore48
08-11-2001, 07:33 PM
I am looking for more detailed info dealing with this particular unit's weakness and strong points. Not really interested in Encore quality in general or lack of it, just how it pertains to my exact unit. Like any and every piece of equipment I have ever owned, I want to learn how to make it better but I must know its true weaknesses/qualities first. There is not a whole lot of meaningful responses in the archives that relate to my particular mower.

Responses like, piece of crap, tears up ever time I run it, made bush hog out of it, you get what you pay for, I bought two of em and won't be buyin any more, I like my x-er's better than my Encore is NOT what I am looking for and are of NO value to me. However I have absolutely no brand loyalty and could care less how strongly one feels against Encore. Say what you may, you won't get any fire back from me.

However, responses like, spindle don't last but here is what you use to replace them, bearings have short life if you don't install and lube em like this, housing cracks prematurely and needs to be reinforced, pulls to one side and here's what I found wrong, front wheel wobble but there is a fix, and so forth. These are the type of responses I am looking for. Tips to make life with my mower better, ultimately, thats what I am looking for. ;)

65hoss
08-12-2001, 01:26 AM
This was your 1st post...
"Do I need to resell it while its still in resonably good shape and get something else
or just live with my decision and keep it.
Oh, and don't be bashful, tell me what you really think!
Jay R."

You want info but then tells us...
"Responses like, piece of crap, tears up ever time I run it, made bush hog out of it,
you get what you pay for, I bought two of em and won't be buyin any more, I like
my x-er's better than my Encore is NOT what I am looking for and are of NO value to
me. However I have absolutely no brand loyalty and could care less how strongly
one feels against Encore."

Then why ask????

The answer to the original questions are yes you paid to much. Encores are cheaper $$ than other mowers. It was probably on $1800 new in 95 or 96.
Yes you should try to resell it quickly. Find some other sucker who will not mind replacing parts often.

I can't tell you how to make the bearings last longer. I never could figure it out. Be very easy with opc switches. They break very easy and often.

You originally wanted responses, so deal with it. The cut quality sucks!! Blade speed is way to slow. $h1t breaks often, and the parts are usually hard to find. Due to lack of interest in these machines. The only thing I can say good about it, the 14 kawi has been awesome. Lots of power and it never let me down.

Lil Encore48
08-13-2001, 08:58 PM
Please take note that I have spent the last 4 nites searching the archive for every tidbit of info I could get that pertains to my WB mower. This is one of the best orchestrated board IMHO and has one of the greatest search formats I know of. Even though I was not able to pinpoint much info concerning my particular Encore unit, I feel I was able to discern a great deal of info of very similar units that will untimately help with my quest to keep up and maintain my Lil Encore48.

Thanks to all that have made this board a reality, and thanks to all the knowledgeable people that have taken the time to pass their wisdom to others.

Jay R.