PDA

View Full Version : Actually got fired because...

Shades of Green LService
05-06-2007, 10:48 PM
My Daughter was in the hospital all week and wasn't about to leave her side except to tend to my other daughter. Has anything like this happend to you guys?

Roigator
05-06-2007, 11:04 PM
That's insane!

Shades of Green LService
05-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Good ridens i say

QualityLawnCare4u
05-07-2007, 01:54 AM
Was you fired by a boss or a client? If it was an employer he was a first class jerk, if its a client they are still a first class jerk! My family comes first, none barred the h*ll with work will have to wait untill I get there or kiss my lilly white azz goodbye!!

thomsoutdoor
05-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Stuff like that is why I started working for myself.

Duekster
05-07-2007, 06:48 AM
My Daughter was in the hospital all week and wasn't about to leave her side except to tend to my other daughter. Has anything like this happend to you guys?

Depending on the size of the company they may have to offer you FMLA.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

MarcSmith
05-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Shades. When you daughter ended up in the hosptital, did you call your boss to let him know the situation.????

If a customer quit as a result of this, did you think to let your customers know with a phone call or something. "Hey my daughter got hurt and is in the hospital. I may be a bit late with my services this week?"

I had a guy, not the bst employee, no call no show for 4 days. I fired him on the 5 th day. 2 days later he comes in with a Dr's note.

He stayed fired. If an employee doesn't care enough to at least call in and protect his job, Good riddance.

If I was your customer, and I'm used to seeing you on Wed. and I don't see you or hear from you for 3-4 days and the weather is fine....Guess what....I'm calling someone else.

Communication is what separates the good companies from the bad ones.

While you were sitting in the hospital, how hard would it have been to grab you customer list and call your clients, or call your boss......

I am not a heartless SOB, and I tell my guys that family comes first, But their job is what keeps their family eating each night and keeps a roof over their head. having a job and keeping a job is very important. No work, no pay, no pay no food, no rent....

MarcSmith
05-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Depending on the size of the company they may have to offer you FMLA.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

If the company offers it, that is great. but it's usually the employee's responsibility to ASK for it...

garydale
05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
My best to your daughter and family.

I would need to know more about the situation to sympathize completely.

Having been an employer for forty years, I have heard many a sad tale.
Most (75%) were not valid reasons for missing work.IMO

Such as the same Grandmother repeatedly dying.

MarcSmith
05-07-2007, 11:01 AM
My daughter got a real bad ear infection two years ago. so bad that she ended up in the hospital for 12 days... and ultimately had to have surgery on her skull to remove infected bone tissue, and then on top of it we had her on home IV treatments for a month after that.

Between my wife an I, thankfully her job allows her to be able to work form home on occassion, or in this case the Hospitial with a laptop computer.. I went in early every day and came out at 12-1 pm went home let the animals out, then spent the rest of the night in the hospital while my wife went into work late and then spent the night at home....

It was a rough couple weeks but we made do, and even before calling my parents, I called my employer and worked out a schedule. to allow at least one parent to be bed side during the normal working hours.

Duekster
05-07-2007, 03:20 PM
If the company offers it, that is great. but it's usually the employee's responsibility to ASK for it...

I think it is a rule for employers over 50 employees that work 20 weeks or more.

Shades of Green LService
05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
It was just a client of mine. I explained to her the reason i could not come to her house this week and she said she would get someone else. I said do whatever you want and hung up.

IA_James
05-07-2007, 03:45 PM
It was just a client of mine. I explained to her the reason i could not come to her house this week and she said she would get someone else. I said do whatever you want and hung up.

In that case, yeah, the hell with her.:gunsfirin

spriallen
05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
You don't need customers like that crab anyway. Did you have a signed contract with her? :nono:

Best wishes to you and your Daughter:waving: :

MarcSmith
05-07-2007, 04:04 PM
shades,

she was probably looking for a reason to get rid of you any how...Good riddance to her.

But take this a lesson that calling your clients to let them know you wont be around or will be running late, whether be to mechanical problems, or weather, or personal, good communication makes a big difference to some...

tremor
05-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Communication.

There is a valuable lesson here for those who want to be successful.

If the client was expecting an appointment to be kept then the cancellation (not firing) is to be expected. If a loved one lands in the hospital it is not unreasonable to either check messages or hire someone to do so. For the small operator, at the very least leave a voice message or answering machine message explaining the predicament so that customers understand why you aren't available. In the recorded message explain WHEN you'll be returning calls & then stick to that commitment.

Ric might not be so tactful with his words but I understand where he's coming from. Professionalism is the name of the game.

Shades of Green LService
05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Communication.

There is a valuable lesson here for those who want to be successful.

If the client was expecting an appointment to be kept then the cancellation (not firing) is to be expected. If a loved one lands in the hospital it is not unreasonable to either check messages or hire someone to do so. For the small operator, at the very least leave a voice message or answering machine message explaining the predicament so that customers understand why you aren't available. In the recorded message explain WHEN you'll be returning calls & then stick to that commitment.

Ric might not be so tactful with his words but I understand where he's coming from. Professionalism is the name of the game.

I understand that, and agree. But when the Dr. is telling you that your 4 yr.old daughter has some signs of a disease and that disease has been known to effect the heart and in rare cases can be fatal. Who's thinking about work? Also, I do run my business in a very professional manner. Always have.

tremor
05-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Jay,

Please understand that I am not apathetic to your situation. I've buried my fair share of relatives & even had my own son on the operating table (twice) so I really do understand.

I pray your child mends well. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

lawnservice
05-07-2007, 07:26 PM
maybe they were Yankee fans? (Rocketman back in town)

kidding aside i hope all is now well with your daughter

good idea to have a back up plan just in case of these types of situations. Life happens fast and we got to be ready for all situations because unless you are independently wealthy losing business means less $$$ in your wallet which pays for the doctors and etc.

Shades of Green LService
05-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Jay,

Please understand that I am not apathetic to your situation. I've buried my fair share of relatives & even had my own son on the operating table (twice) so I really do understand.

I pray your child mends well. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Thanks to all. She goes tomorrow for a second eco and ekg. Most of the symptoms have subsided and are not leaning towards Kawasaki virus. In fact she's doing great today. It's been a crazy week.:dizzy:

daveyo
05-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Good luck, I know if it were my Daughter NOTHING else would matter. Just do the bare essentials the good customers will understand, the rest can stick it where the sun don't shine.

americanlawn
05-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Shades...I'm assuming it was your employer who fired you (not a customer).

That is not acceptable. We've had American troops on our staff who took a leave of absence for over a YEAR. We hired 'em back. Also active Army who were occasionally called away for training days -- NEVER lost their job with us either. In fact, today was an example (Army).

My suggestion: Start your own lawn care business??

Best of luck, AMERICAN.

sheshovel
05-07-2007, 09:20 PM
I too am very sorry to hear of your daughters illness and I wish her well.
However a few minutes with a cell phone in hand outside could have kept you your clients. I can see how you would not think of anything but her in that situation, but part of thinking of her is thinking about how you support her everyday of her life too and protecting that income.

cantoo
05-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Are you sure she fired you or did you fire yourself?
You posted that she said she would get someone else. Wouldn't that just be temporary?
I have friends and relatives who would take care of business for me or my wife if need be. I am the first one to give a hand if they need something and someday paybacks are going to be hell for them.

Victor
05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter's troubles. I hope she bounces right back from what ever is ailing her.