PDA

View Full Version : BR420 Stihl vs. 155 Husky BP Blowers

lee b
08-09-2001, 10:12 PM
I"m gonna buy a new back-pack blower tomorrow and these are the 2 I've narrowed it down too. I ran a search on blowers and didn't find much info on either of these. I've never had a bp blower so I don't know much about 'em. Only dealers in town sell Stihl, Husky, and Redmax, I know alot of ya'll like the Redmax, but I totally detest the local Redmax dealer, so that leaves the Stihl 420 or the Husky 155. Which blower do you think is the best and why? THANKS

RMDoyon
08-09-2001, 11:22 PM
My Husky 155 starts on the first pull every time and performs flawlessly every time. I swear the choke unnecessary. The air flow is strong yet you can finesse the throttle as well. I can pluck Pine bark nuggets out of 3.5" tall fescue and deposit them onto a mulch bed as well as clear a 20 foot wide driveway of wet grass clippings in a single pass.

The housing and frame are bulletproof yet the harness hardware is low grade. After about 2 months of use the waist belt buckle shattered then the shoulder harness lower coupling got all cockeyed and bent and fell off.
By the way, I am solo and baby my equipment.

Other than these annoying inconveniences the thing just runs and runs and is very lightweight.

I will say I have seen many many other blowers that look just like Husqvarna's with different colored plastic blower housings. John Deere and Vandermolen come to mind. They must have a manufacturer in common.

I cannot comment on Stihl because I have never used one.
Stihl's design does appear to be proprietary.

Roger

geogunn
08-10-2001, 12:11 AM
I don't have experience with either.

but I have had a good experience with the br-400.

check out the br-420 and let us know.

geo

Dennis Moon
08-10-2001, 12:41 AM
I have a BR 400 and I hate it because it is sooo hard to start. It takes 3 to 5 hard pulls on the rope every time I start it. It has been like this since day one. It is well built and does a good job, just hard to start. If I had it to do over I would buy a Redmax. I have a Redmax trimmer and I love it. It starts on the first or second pull every time. Never owned a Redmax PB blower though.

geogunn
08-10-2001, 12:47 AM
dennis--please tell me that you are kidding by carping that it takes you 3 to 5 pulls to start your BR-400 blower.

please!

by the way I have kinfolk in dresden.

GEO

Dennis Moon
08-10-2001, 01:01 AM
geo, no I'm not kidding. Sometimes I want to throw it in the dump. But when I get it started it works fine. Even after it has warmed up I most always have to pull the rope 3 times.

Who is your kin folk here?

Esby
08-10-2001, 01:47 AM
I just got a new BR400 this year and LOVE IT! Mine starts on the first or second pull every time. Once I start it at the begining of the day, it always starts on the first pull. The power is very impressive. If I were to do it all over again, I would get another BR400.

sheppard
08-10-2001, 05:39 AM
Have experience with both- Husky starts easy, is quieter than the Stihl, is lighter too.

Cordially,
Sheppard

geogunn
08-10-2001, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Dennis Moon
geo, no I'm not kidding. Sometimes I want to throw it in the dump. But when I get it started it works fine. Even after it has warmed up I most always have to pull the rope 3 times.

dennis--one man's scourge is another man's blessing! those three yanks for such a great machine are a small price for me to pay.

I would gladly make you a lowball offer for your pesky machine if we were located close enough to deal. I happen to be looking for a second machine that I can leave at a property that I own.

I am kind of estranged from my kinfolk there in dresden. I have never been there but I need to get out that way one of these days.

GEO

lawnperfections
08-10-2001, 08:15 AM
I love my 420, starts easy and its got big time power.

Tony
08-10-2001, 07:49 PM
Lee, I sell Redmax, Shindaiwa,Echo,Stihl and Husqvarna Blowers, I love the Redmax but if you don't like your local dealer then try to find a Shindaiwa EB 630 because it has a 62cc Komatsu Zenoah engine just like the Redmax. I'd drive 50 miles to buy a Redmax, only me. All the blowers you are looking at are very good, but the Redmax will blow them away. By the way Redmax has a plant in Georgia where they make the cases for their backpack blowers. The cases they make are different than most other manufacturers use. The cases are made from powder that is pressesd in a die so hard that it fuses together where most other manufacturers use a molding process. The 62cc engine also has three ball bearing on the crankshaft instead of two for better fan support. The best blower money can buy. More power means more productivity= More Money in your pocket.

lee b
08-10-2001, 08:57 PM
Thanks for your replies. I bought a new BR420, my first Stihl equipment. I really like it , seems to have alot of power. If it holds up as well as my Husky equipment, it'll be money well spent. I also discovered that the Stihl dealer is alot nicer to deal with than my Husky dealer, may send more business his way in the future.

KirbysLawn
08-10-2001, 09:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing Tony typed. I just sold my Sthil on Ebay after buying a Shindiawa EB630 and a RedMax 7000. Both are just awsome, if you Sthil guys would ever try one you would selling you Sthils and upgrading!:eek:

Keith
08-10-2001, 09:31 PM
The Stihls go for good money on Ebay. I might sell mine after I get another Shindaiwa or Redmax. Ray, I was up that way last weekend. I started to head over and see if could find your Shindaiwa dealer to pick one up. The price you told me about was so good, it was almost worth the few miles drive.

little green guy
08-10-2001, 11:45 PM
Sthil Blowers suck!

We've had a demo br420 since december that our dealer hasn't asked for back yet and I hate that thing, it's a good thing it didn't cost any money.I also have a sthil br 400 that is collecting dust. Anyway I would go with the redmax even if you hate the dealer or find another redmax dealer. Sthil dosn't even compare to redmax. Sthil know's there blowers are junk too, I was talking to a sthil rep one day that was at my dealers and he told me he was there to talk to guys to find out why people don't like there blowers and trimmers. I told him the reasons I thought they where junk and he pretty much new all the things I was telling him, he asked me about their trimmers but I told him I didn't now anything about them cause I never used one. I still think sthil makes great chiansaws and cutoff saws but the blowers are garbage. Thats what I think ;)