PDA

View Full Version : Sod lifted up?

procut
05-07-2007, 12:47 AM
I got a call the other day from a homeowner. The lawn was soded 1-2 years ago. The sod seems to have lifted from the soil. Its rooted in ok, because you can't lift it up. When you walk across it and stomp on it, it will push back down, about 1"-2" What would cause this? Did the frost heave it? Did the soil settle? The lawn has an irrigation system, is he over watering? Anyways, I was thinking rolling the lawn to press it back down and hoping for the best. Any opinions please. Thanks!

AGLA
05-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Did you look for grubs?

lucky4511
05-07-2007, 08:03 PM
is it all over or just in sections? we had a customer once who had moles so bad......the lawn was a mess over quite a large area.

paponte
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I would second grubs?

Fordsuvparts
05-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Kill the grubs and then roll the yard.

procut
05-08-2007, 12:01 AM
ok, good point. I will check for grubs.

chris638
05-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Had something similar happen to me last year. Turns out it was a busted sprinkler system line. I was able to dig down by hand since it was so soft and found that the sprinkler guy didn't glue the fittings together. Not frost heaving or settling. If it noticably gets softer when you get closer to a certain point, you would definetely want to check that out first.

procut
05-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Had something similar happen to me last year. Turns out it was a busted sprinkler system line. I was able to dig down by hand since it was so soft and found that the sprinkler guy didn't glue the fittings together. Not frost heaving or settling. If it noticably gets softer when you get closer to a certain point, you would definetely want to check that out first.

Very interesting. Its just not in one area, it pretty much the entire lawn. Its something else to check though - Thanks!

procut
05-10-2007, 11:29 PM
I couldn't find any grubs. Other then the sprinkler system thing, any other ideas?