PDA

View Full Version : Installing Sod and Fertilizing

FerrisJJJ
05-07-2007, 01:35 AM
I did a sod job this weekend and I was wondering a couple of things.....
Obviously you need to water it everyday. My question is, is two times a day good enough for watering it? Like once in the morning and once at night, and for how long should you water it? Secondly, when should you put down fertilizer on the sod and what kind of fertilizer do you use on it?

mow2nd
05-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Water really good in the mornings before 8am or 9am....watering in the evening is only gonna cause problems during the summer months (Fungus)

You can't go wrong with 18-24-12 which is just a starter fertilizer however you may want to put down a Pre emergent fertilizer to prevent any weeds from coming up thru the sod. Well good luck

FerrisJJJ
05-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Water really good in the mornings before 8am or 9am....watering in the evening is only gonna cause problems during the summer months (Fungus)

You can't go wrong with 18-24-12 which is just a starter fertilizer however you may want to put down a Pre emergent fertilizer to prevent any weeds from coming up thru the sod. Well good luck

what is the pre emergent fertilizer? Also, how does watering at night cause fungus later on?

tremor
05-07-2007, 03:14 PM
If you have to ask what a pre-emergent herbicide is then don't apply one. You'll need a licensed applicator to do this. Plus the sod needs to establish first.

Technically, depending on soil test, a nice organic/biological starter fertilizer should have been soil incorporated BEFORE the sod was lain however applying a synthetic now is better than not.

Turf that stays wet overnight is more prone to fungal diseases. Try to be finished watering early enough in the afternoon that the grass blades are dry before dark.

ampeg76
05-07-2007, 04:02 PM
tremor gave the best advice

i would stay clear of pre-emergents until the roots have been established, pre's will prune the roots

FerrisJJJ
05-07-2007, 04:13 PM
thanks guys