PDA

View Full Version : New bermuda sod care.

kkirk
05-07-2007, 03:04 AM
I had sod laid down about a month ago, and have been just watering it pretty good. I has greened up pretty good, and needs mowing. I was going to do it Friday but the mower I currently have decided no to propel itself so I'm looking at picking a new one up tomorrow. Probably a toro 20055 model. anyways, what height should I cut it at? I'd like to mow as low as possible but don't know if that is a good idea with new sod. Also should I mulch or bag? Another issue is weed control, I got a few weeds popping up here and there. I went to lowes and looked around at the fertilizer with weed control and it said not to apply it to new lawns until they had been mowed about 4 times. I opted to go with the fertilizer for new lawn. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the weeds in the mean time?

Another question I got is some of the sod is on the north side of the house and I know bermuda loves sun. probably about 1 foot to 2 feet will be in the shade, is there hope to the sod there?

Thanks,
Kris

Duekster
05-07-2007, 05:57 AM
I would not mow it low the first couple of times. Try and keep in mind of the 1/3 rule and ease the grass down. You may remove about 1/2 the first mowing if you have not mowed the lawn for several weeks while it became established.

Bermuda needs a minimum of 6 hours of sun.

Do not put any weed killer on it for at least 6 weeks (mowings ) or more. Pre-emergents, I would not put on it unless it is strong and healthy this fall. I would rather wait on the pre-emergent until the second season myself.

What type of Bermuda is it? How short do you want to keep it? This will dictate the type of mower you buy.

kkirk
05-07-2007, 06:24 PM
How can you tell what type of bermuda it is? I guess I can call the guy that laid it and ask. I'd like to keep it as short as possible and as full and green as possible.