PDA

View Full Version : How Much Do You Guys Charge To Cut 1.25 Acres?

kevin11946ny
05-07-2007, 09:00 AM
I Went To A House Today And Quoted Them $100 Which I Though Was Very Low Considering I Do 1/3 Acre Lots For $4o.

They Told Me They Had A Guy Do It For $60 Last Season How Could This Guy Make Any Money?

So Whats Your Average Rate For 1.25 Acre If Theres Say 10 Trees And A Fenced In Pool Couple Strips Of Grass Surrounding Garden Beds For A Cut, Weedwacking And Blowing?

I Live In A Rich Area In The Hamptons On Long Island Ny.

But This House Is 30 Minutes Towards The City A Little Cheaper Area.

I Figure $80 Is The Cheapest I Can Do This For And If I Feel Its Not Worth It I Will Just Tell Them I Thihnk This Is To Cheap And Cant Do It Anymore.

I Dont Want To Be Pissed Off The Whole Time Im Cutting This Lawn Thinkking Im Getting Jipped.

puppypaws
05-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I Went To A House Today And Quoted Them $100 Which I Though Was Very Low Considering I Do 1/3 Acre Lots For $4o.

They Told Me They Had A Guy Do It For $60 Last Season How Could This Guy Make Any Money?

So Whats Your Average Rate For 1.25 Acre If Theres Say 10 Trees And A Fenced In Pool Couple Strips Of Grass Surrounding Garden Beds For A Cut, Weedwacking And Blowing?

I Live In A Rich Area In The Hamptons On Long Island Ny.

But This House Is 30 Minutes Towards The City A Little Cheaper Area.

I Figure $80 Is The Cheapest I Can Do This For And If I Feel Its Not Worth It I Will Just Tell Them I Thihnk This Is To Cheap And Cant Do It Anymore.

I Dont Want To Be Pissed Off The Whole Time Im Cutting This Lawn Thinkking Im Getting Jipped.If you are in the Hampton's it is not necessary to even be bothered with something that trivial. There is enough money there to take care of any problems you may have without worrying about being able to make a high profit. When you work in an area such as the Hampton's, money should be the least of your worries.

If you think there is a remote possibility you are not satisfying your business objectives, "LEAVE IT ALONE".

timmac
05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
60 at the most here in tn.

CutsForLess
05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
If there is not a lot of trimming and objects to mow around I would get $70, it normaly runs about $60 a acre for the first acre then $40 to $50 per acre after that.

AlleganyLawnCare
05-07-2007, 03:12 PM
$75 here in my neck of the woods for 1.5 acres

fiveoboy01
05-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Minimum I'd touch it for is 65, and that's with few obstacles. Obstacles and the "normal" amount of trimming, 70-75.

Midwest Lawn Services
05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
1.25 acres is $61 per cut here...we do a 1.88 acre lot for $86 per cut (about 20 trees to deal with)

TNT LawnCare Inc.
05-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Just picked up a guy today for $65 just over 3/4 acre.

kevin11946ny
05-07-2007, 07:11 PM
I might think of doing this for $80. Im just starting out in my area this is the only reason. Normally people in my area make around $100 per hour. Then again they also have 60 inch ride ons which can do the job i would guess 2x as fast as my 52" wb that i just bought for $500.

Just seems cheap since i can get almost $40 for a 1/4 acre which takes 20% the time as it would to do 1.25 acres and only get $20 more.

i wouldnt even be thinking of doing this house if i wasnt desperate for accounts. this is my first year and picked up 10 accounts since i put an add in the local paper 2 weeks ago.

things should be looking good from here on out hopefully with some 2 acre jobs for $200 out in the rich areas and belive me they will pay that much money.

for the hell of it a guy has a summer house and isnt out there yet and asked for an estimate for 1.75 acres with some trimming so i called up 4 local companies in the area and told them that i was the owner of the house and they all quoted between $180-250 for 1.75 acres.

now i feel confident to charge this much..

damn they all live in 5 million dollar homes on the average as much as 60 million.

MOW ED
05-08-2007, 07:20 AM
I don't usually respond to how to price threads so don't take this the wrong way. I know you are trying to get an idea of how to price. My question back to you is how much do you HAVE to make? Your business needs so much money to run, you have to run at least even. You should be planning for future expenses which means putting some aside for unexpected as well as planned replacement. After all of that there is the happiest line, PROFIT. I have no idea what your expenses are and don't feel good about telling you a price. You certainly can charge what other companies in your area charge as a standard but you may be losing business this way.
It doesn't matter if you are mowing a 6 million dollar house or a 60K house, its just mowing and just about anyone with a mower can mow the lawn. I have houses where I am in and out in 10 minutes with my equipment. I can be replaced there by a kid with a push mower for 1/4 of my price. You have to sell the owner (property manager) on you and what you have to offer but you have to know the minimum you need to keep the business floating. We all know the mowing part, you succeed when you know the "business" part. This isn't - jump your back reply, I hope it helps you. Good Luck.

1cooltreeguy
05-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Price it based on what you need to make not on what others are doing it for. Good luck - Me - I need $65 for 1st acre - minimal trimming.

dkeisala
05-08-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't usually respond to how to price threads so don't take this the wrong way. I know you are trying to get an idea of how to price. My question back to you is how much do you HAVE to make? Your business needs so much money to run, you have to run at least even. You should be planning for future expenses which means putting some aside for unexpected as well as planned replacement. After all of that there is the happiest line, PROFIT. I have no idea what your expenses are and don't feel good about telling you a price. You certainly can charge what other companies in your area charge as a standard but you may be losing business this way.
It doesn't matter if you are mowing a 6 million dollar house or a 60K house, its just mowing and just about anyone with a mower can mow the lawn. I have houses where I am in and out in 10 minutes with my equipment. I can be replaced there by a kid with a push mower for 1/4 of my price. You have to sell the owner (property manager) on you and what you have to offer but you have to know the minimum you need to keep the business floating. We all know the mowing part, you succeed when you know the "business" part. This isn't - jump your back reply, I hope it helps you. Good Luck.
Good point. I just bid a shopper looking to have her 1 acre fully maintained. I'm not really concerned with what everyone else bids it at, I'll bid it at what I need to in order to make a profit. Desperation on a service providers part usually ends in catastrophic results for both the service provider and the one that receives said services.

Pro-Scapes
05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
well said ed

There is no way you can determine price by area size only. It can be a general guideline but some guys can service a property faster than another guy and move on and still make a good profit. I dont doubt they were paying 60. Around that size just ball park without seeing it we would probably be about 65 or so with minimal trimming. We do a prop thats 1.5 acres. VERY little growth and 2 min of trimming and zero edging. 2 min with blower. In and out in an hour for 65.

Do another thats about half an acre. Lots of trees and beds to edge ect for $85.00 Lawn takes 25 min and rest of service takes about an hour. If you can do it and turn your target hourly rate then go for it. If you cant then thank them for thier time and move on. Just because they have money doesnt mean they will spend more for same service. There will always be someone cheaper. We upsell ourselves on our personalized service.

There is also a line of what its worth in your area. Also... are you looking to be an elite provider ? just a mow n go type of guy ?

Bottom line is your overhead and profit requirments will determine your pricing.

I dropped one today because it just wasnt worth it for me. It was fine if i followed a per acre price it just took so long with the layout and the ditch to trim ect.

abuckeye
05-08-2007, 09:03 PM
I bid one tonight that was 3.25 acres with no trimming. I bid it at 135.00 and the home owner told me that she had another bid for 65.00. I said you better go with them.

lifetree
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
If you think there is a remote possibility you are not satisfying your business objectives, "LEAVE IT ALONE".

In SE Tennessee it would go for about $ 60-70.

Pro-Scapes
05-08-2007, 09:09 PM
I bid one tonight that was 3.25 acres with no trimming. I bid it at 135.00 and the home owner told me that she had another bid for 65.00. I said you better go with them.

you get what you pay for! The guy at 65 is probably a college kid or some poor guy mowing for beer money. He will always be poor at thoes prices. While some guys think they make 60 an hour or whatever you best stop and look at your overhead.

cantoo
05-08-2007, 10:41 PM
What are your expenses? $500 mower could be replaced everyday? Customer perception can be a big thing. I usually find that rich customers prefer a new shiny, good dressed crew on their property. We run older equipment but try to keep everything clean and we still lose some jobs I think.

kevin11946ny
05-09-2007, 12:50 AM
naa... these customers are almost never home....i did a cleanup before i had a pickup truck...and he got a container for $800 just for me to put the leaves in and had no problem with that....thats how rich they are.

Choctaw Scalper
05-09-2007, 04:42 AM
I just got turned down on a 4 acre lot. Few trees rough as hell with one of those white vinyl fences. Guy wanted Mow, weed flower beds, and weed eat every fence post. I think I stopped counting at 200. Anyway I bid it at $300 going high. He came back and said his current guy charges $100... I don;t even know how you could work for that cheap. In gas alone I bet I would have $20

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-09-2007, 08:28 AM
I currently do a 1+ acre lot for $65. It takes me about 50 minutes with trimming and cleanup.....

Derek

lifetree
05-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I currently do a 1+ acre lot for $65. It takes me about 50 minutes with trimming and cleanup.....

Derek

This sounds about right on target.