PDA

View Full Version : DOT and fines..

grandview (2006)
05-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Just talking to another guy and he was pulled in for inspection.

No fire extinguisher
Only 1 triangle
No DOT # on truck
No trailer brakes
The plastic vent cover was open on the gas can

TOTAL FINES just under 2,000.00

I figure 50 bucks and there would of been no problems.

stroker51
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I haven't been stopped, yet. knock on wood, but from what i gather, if they go to the trouble of stopping you, even if he would have had all that stuff right, they will still find a reason to write you a ticket. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, the fact that most of us, with 3/4 ton trucks and trailers rated at the most 14K, need to comply with all of the rules and regs of real trucking companies is a crock. I understand safety, and there are a lot of rigs around my town that need to be shut down, no lights, no brakes, skid steers on 7000lbs trailers etc. But there should be some middle ground where us with pickups and trailers fall. I have to have a medical card and trucks/trailers inspected and all that, but what about my 68 year old great uncle who pulls a 38 foot triple slide travel trailer with his 3/4 ton dodge down to florida every winter? nothing, cuz it's recreational. sorry to get kinda off topic, but it's just one of those things that keeps me:confused:

Gravel Rat
05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
The trailer with no brakes is a :nono:

You should have a set of road triangles in the truck regardless the size they come in a box with 3 of them fit easily behind the seat. The DOT number if its required the guy should have had it posted on the truck. The fire extinquisher its not a requirement for us but maybe it is down in the US. As for the gas cap vent the DOT was just being a jerk. A 2000 dollar fine is awfully steep I think these guys are trying to justify their job. I guess they don't realize tax payers pay their wages it is that way here in B.C. .

The DOT here gives warning if the guy knowingly knows the brakes are not working on the trailer then they will give them a fine. For us any trailer that has a GVW greater than 10,000lbs requires a CDL it doesn't matter if its a RV or any kind of personal use trailer.

From what I have read on the different boards that the DOT in the US is always on a power trip. I think maybe the gov't that oversees them should maybe make them realize they are not god. They are to inform and enforce the rules not try get as many fines they can. If people don't work and pay taxes the DOT man is out of a job simple as that.

stroker51
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeah I agree, kinda biting the hand that feeds them. Just to clarify myself, I completely agree that we ought to have working breaks, lights, all that. But it's just frustrating to know that we have to conform to basically the same set of rules that big trucks have to. There ought to be some middle ground it seems to me. Here in Kansas, if you call the KCC, Kansas Corporation Commission, to come out and look at your rigs and walk you through compliance, the special investigator I dealt with was really cool, he came out to inform us, not to hose us. But he happens to be the same guy, that if something looks fishy to the KCC or DOT cops, he'll come in and bust you for whatever isn't right both on the trucks and in the office. The more I think about it, that $2000 fine is really steep. A big landscape company here in town got audited a few years back, we're talking 75 trucks or so, no driver records, medical cards, no DOT numbers, trucks that couldn't pass an inspection if they tried, and operating outside their operating authority (25 miles) and it was only like $3300 in fines.

outlaw1960
05-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Yesterday I got fined for not having my name on my truck, I can understand not having DOT numbers or saftey equipment......But a name? I think this is a money grab, they changed the law last year and it was published on the CDOT website....or so they say? How can that happen without letting the law abiding operators know in advance? sorry, had to vent......and yes I have all the saftey equipment and fire extinguishers dot numbers, etc....as required in 1990 when I started business, should they publish this information, or are we required to look through the website on a yearly basis?

Gravel Rat
05-09-2007, 01:42 PM
We have the same BS here the regulations changing and they don't tell you. It used to be we had to have the gvw posted on the truck thats not the case anymore all you need now is the owner operator or company name on the truck. They can tell what gvw the truck is with the license plate. Here in B.C. the plate with the sticker has to be on the front bumper.

I think you should have gotten a warning and not a fine maybe if it was your second offence then a fine.

Pioneer01
05-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Yesterday I got fined for not having my name on my truck, I can understand not having DOT numbers or saftey equipment......But a name? I think this is a money grab, they changed the law last year and it was published on the CDOT website....or so they say? How can that happen without letting the law abiding operators know in advance? sorry, had to vent......and yes I have all the saftey equipment and fire extinguishers dot numbers, etc....as required in 1990 when I started business, should they publish this information, or are we required to look through the website on a yearly basis?

Did it happen to be in Littleton? I quit doing any kind of buisness in the city of Littleton because of the commercial vehicle enforcement officer. He would stop me every week last year for one thing or another. I never had known I was supposed to have DOT numbers and he stopped me and nailed me for no DOT numbers, no safety equipment, no pin on the trailer coupler, etc......Total last year was 10 tickets, I would fix whatever he ticketed me for the week before and the following week he would find something else. I run a safe operation and found it to be borderline harrasment, all my equipment is always tied down, gas cans capped, trailer brakes, breakaway brakes, not runnin heavy......

mini14
05-09-2007, 08:03 PM
the fine for just one unsealed gas can is $750, they will write u for all your cans even if just one is not sealed. and u r not supposed to be carrying more then u can use in 1 day.

tinman
05-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Just talking to another guy and he was pulled in for inspection.

No fire extinguisher
Only 1 triangle
No DOT # on truck
No trailer brakes
The plastic vent cover was open on the gas can

TOTAL FINES just under 2,000.00

I figure 50 bucks and there would of been no problems.

cash grab..... safety yes.... ticky tack stuff that just funds their "jobs" is not right.

stroker51
05-09-2007, 08:44 PM
What bugs me the most is that there is absolutely nothing we can do about this stuff, other than comply, and then still get ticketed for something else. When the special investigator from our state office came out to help us get compliant, he said a lot of what happens when you get stopped depends on who stops you and what kind of mood they're in. I haven't been stopped as I mentioned above, but another contractor we work with got stopped with his 1ton duramax, a 24' 20K gooseneck, nothing on the trailer just driving down the road. He only wound up with like $160 in tickets, but they were for a) no DOT #, whose to say he is in commercial use? He didn't have his name on the truck, and from what the special investigator told us, only if you are commercial do you need DOT #'s, b)1 amber light on the back of the trailer instead of a red, not a big deal, but how does that affect the safety of other motorists? c)No medical card. It wasn't like he knew he had to comply with all this stuff and didn't, it's just not public notice. The only way you find out around here is comparing horror stories with other operations. I know when the city had a meeting with big local contractors informing them they were adding another DOT cop and a set of scales, one of the ready mix company owners told them if they stop one of his trucks and he loses the batch in the truck, they will not only buy the concrete, but the truck it sits in.

Rcgm
05-09-2007, 09:11 PM
What do you guys mean by gas cans being sealed?A cap on the end of them?

RCGM
Brad

razor1
05-09-2007, 09:30 PM
"68 year old great uncle who pulls a 38 foot triple slide travel trailer with his 3/4 ton dodge" stroker51

We can learn from your old Uncle.....
Get a gutted RV trailer with a ramp door and vawala, no more dot problems. :laugh:

I've been pulled over twice by dot and luckily no big fines. According to a State Cop the big crack down started with 9/11. What a PITA money grab! :cry:

TGM
05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
i'm not sure about state to state, but if you stay in state then you don't need DOT numbers (and are within certain weight, hazardous, etc. parameters).

one question i have is:

If my trailer is locked (or unlocked), do I have the right to refuse a DOT officer from entering my trailer? Of course, they could then get me for my exhaust, blah blah blah

outlaw1960
05-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Did it happen to be in Littleton? I quit doing any kind of buisness in the city of Littleton because of the commercial vehicle enforcement officer.

Yep, twice in the last two years! what a p***k. four LCO's of asian decent blew right past us, no signs, DOT numbers or signage. Do you think thet have safety equipment? He said he will catch them next time!? Is it worth doing business there?

stroker51
05-09-2007, 11:53 PM
[QUOTE=razor1;1824160]"68 year old great uncle who pulls a 38 foot triple slide travel trailer with his 3/4 ton dodge" stroker51

We can learn from your old Uncle.....
Get a gutted RV trailer with a ramp door and vawala, no more dot problems. :laugh:

Lol, maybe that's not a bad idea. I've been looking for a new house with a shop closer to town, maybe I should just get me one of those toy-hauler 5th wheels, living quarters up front, and a ramp/enclosed trailer in the back.

westcoh
05-10-2007, 01:13 AM
The trailer with no brakes is a :nono:

You should have a set of road triangles in the truck regardless the size they come in a box with 3 of them fit easily behind the seat. The DOT number if its required the guy should have had it posted on the truck. The fire extinquisher its not a requirement for us but maybe it is down in the US. As for the gas cap vent the DOT was just being a jerk. A 2000 dollar fine is awfully steep I think these guys are trying to justify their job. I guess they don't realize tax payers pay their wages it is that way here in B.C. .

The DOT here gives warning if the guy knowingly knows the brakes are not working on the trailer then they will give them a fine. For us any trailer that has a GVW greater than 10,000lbs requires a CDL it doesn't matter if its a RV or any kind of personal use trailer.

From what I have read on the different boards that the DOT in the US is always on a power trip. I think maybe the gov't that oversees them should maybe make them realize they are not god. They are to inform and enforce the rules not try get as many fines they can. If people don't work and pay taxes the DOT man is out of a job simple as that.

Gravel Rat, I dont suppose you know if the DOT regulations in Alberta are much different than BC? Especially the one about anything over 10,000 GVW requiring a CDL?

Gravel Rat
05-10-2007, 02:26 AM
That I don't know I'am pretty sure the rules are the same because I think all of Canada put trucking under the National Safety Code which standardizes all the rules coast to coast.

Turf Dancer
05-10-2007, 03:38 AM
I have never had an issue here at all! In fact a guy here had a mower fly off his trailer a few years ago and nothing was even said to him about why is was not tied down?

TGM
05-10-2007, 10:21 PM
a lot of it is luck..or lack thereof i guess, but i wont work across the state line..and i'm right on it.

mike lane lawn care
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
i was stopped by the DOT recently, you know what for? for having my trailer lisence plate on the right of the trialer instead of the left where the plate light was, mind you this was in full daylight. so i swapped sides right then and there, and he let me off with a verbal warning. but i thought "come on, have you nothing better to do?" he checked over every square inch of the truck and trailer and could find nothing else wrong, so i guess now i'm 100% to code.

dwc
05-11-2007, 10:21 PM
wonder what they are doing about all these mexico rigs running up and down our interstates with 18 may pop tires?

Tim Wright
05-11-2007, 10:52 PM
i was stopped by the DOT recently, you know what for? for having my trailer lisence plate on the right of the trialer instead of the left where the plate light was, mind you this was in full daylight. so i swapped sides right then and there, and he let me off with a verbal warning. but i thought "come on, have you nothing better to do?" he checked over every square inch of the truck and trailer and could find nothing else wrong, so i guess now i'm 100% to code.

No your not.

When I went through my first audit, I asked the officer what the standards were/are for code, and he told me that basically there are none. He said that it depends on our attitude and the mood of the officer. He went on to say that if they wanted to, they could find a violation on a new truck or tractor that had zero miles on it, right off of the show room floor.

BTW- Here in the US you DO need a fire extinguisher and it needs to be mounted securly somewhere. Good look finding a good spot in a new pickup.

Tim

d&rlawncare
05-11-2007, 11:39 PM
i'm not sure about state to state, but if you stay in state then you don't need DOT numbers (and are within certain weight, hazardous, etc. parameters).

one question i have is:

If my trailer is locked (or unlocked), do I have the right to refuse a DOT officer from entering my trailer? Of course, they could then get me for my exhaust, blah blah blah

Yes we can ge in the back of your trailer WITHOUT your consent. Cargo securement check.

supercuts
05-12-2007, 07:38 AM
in CT, you only need DOT numbers for GVW's 18,001# or greater. you need medical card, extinguisher, triangles, first aid, and fuses.

TGM
05-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Yes we can ge in the back of your trailer WITHOUT your consent. Cargo securement check.

ok, that's good to know. i'd say 99% of the trucks out there have at least one problem that they can be nabbed on. fuel tank issue, tie downs, etc.

:dizzy:

grandview (2006)
05-12-2007, 06:24 PM
in CT, you only need DOT numbers for GVW's 18,001# or greater. you need medical card, extinguisher, triangles, first aid, and fuses.

Did you check that weight lately. It use to be the same here but they lower it. You should confirm it.

snowjeep
05-12-2007, 07:50 PM
I am in WNY also and my 5x12 trailer has no brakes, but is there a certain size or weight that requires brakes? I tow with a 1995 f250 which I know I need dot numbers for but when I am just cutting I use a 2000 cherokee to save on gas. Would this smaller vehicle need dot numbers?

stroker51
05-12-2007, 09:13 PM
No your not.

When I went through my first audit, I asked the officer what the standards were/are for code, and he told me that basically there are none. He said that it depends on our attitude and the mood of the officer. He went on to say that if they wanted to, they could find a violation on a new truck or tractor that had zero miles on it, right off of the show room floor.

BTW- Here in the US you DO need a fire extinguisher and it needs to be mounted securly somewhere. Good look finding a good spot in a new pickup.

Tim

That's basically what the DOT inspector I talked to said too, isn't that a bunch of crap? I can have my handbook with everything he highlighted for me for compliance and show it to an officer, if/when i get stopped, and still get tickets for random stuff. What can you do though, just take your ticket, bend over and say thank you sir can i have another?

Tim Wright
05-12-2007, 10:09 PM
That's basically what the DOT inspector I talked to said too, isn't that a bunch of crap? I can have my handbook with everything he highlighted for me for compliance and show it to an officer, if/when i get stopped, and still get tickets for random stuff. What can you do though, just take your ticket, bend over and say thank you sir can i have another?

It's Boston Tea Party Time!!!!!

If all US Citizens said "NO MORE" at the same exact time, there is nothing they could do. Then we could fire all of the numb brains from the top down and start over.

OK - Who's In!?!

Tim

Scotts' Yard Care
05-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm with you Tim but I'll bet more than half of the members here want more rules, more licensing and more regulations in general judging by so many of the threads I read here. People demand more laws all the time and then are surprised when those laws get applied to them.

Mike33
05-12-2007, 11:22 PM
My last fine was a few years ago for not having co. name on truck so now i went to magnetic. The cop told me it was my turn to pay the state of md. some money. I got 2 other warnings, 1 really pissed me off was no tag light on trailer. I kept on tearing my tag up where the factory mount was so i installed plate on ramp. That way going down the road ramp is up and tag can be seen real good. Then the only time you cant see the tag is when ramp is down un loading bobcat. Now how in the hell can you run a wire so it will flex when ramp is up or down and still not have to much slack to be dangling around and get torn off. Cop said he understood my theory but you have to have a tag light. I think they make up there own rules.
Mike

TGM
05-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm with you Tim but I'll bet more than half of the members here want more rules, more licensing and more regulations in general judging by so many of the threads I read here. People demand more laws all the time and then are surprised when those laws get applied to them.

nooo, no one here is a hypocrite:hammerhead:

stroker51
05-15-2007, 09:55 AM
It's Boston Tea Party Time!!!!!

If all US Citizens said "NO MORE" at the same exact time, there is nothing they could do. Then we could fire all of the numb brains from the top down and start over.

OK - Who's In!?!

Tim

Count me in! Like I said at first, I'm all for safety, and half of the rigs running down the road should be put out of service, but have a brand new trailer, newer 3/4 ton truck, everything is regularly maintained, c'mon now. So how do you organize this revolution, do we throw the portable scales in the lake or what?
On a related note, is used to be here you were pretty safe in town, the state troopers would stay on the major highways,and so long as you were in town you were ok. A buddy of mine got stopped the other day in his 86 chevy 1-ton with a 16' trailer and his Z-trak, going through town to mow one of his grandpa's farms, stopped by a city cop that now has DOT authority and scales in his car, he isn't even a Motor Carrier Inspector, just a city cop with scales. He stopped him for no tag on his trailer and putting on his seatbelt after "good idea putting your seatbelt on when I saw you." The guy was putting it on as he pulled onto the main street. Anyway, in Kansas, you can have up to 6000lbs of load ON a farm trailer, no need for tag. My buddy got off with just warnings but tried to get some answers from this guy. The guy was giving him a hard time about his 12K tag on his truck, saying "I know F350's weight 8500lbs and that trailer is 2K, blah blah." I guess my buddy told him that his 86 3500 with a 350 wasn't a F350 Powerstroke, it didnt' weigh no 8500lbs, and then he ask the guy why a heavy tag was such a big deal. I see having 20- 24K tags as my way of paying for the added road wear I cause, that's ok. This cop said it was for safety reasons, so my buddy ask him how having a 12K tag on that truck made it any less safe than the 20k tag on his F350? The guy just walked away and got in his car leave. :hammerhead:

racer56
05-18-2007, 11:12 PM
I went down and talked with an inspector today with a buddy of mine. The guy seemed at least decent but did kind of get off on the fact I heard a few guys are getting tickets. I asked about my 97 f-150 and single axle 5x10 trailer. I need nothing at all he said under 10,000 lbs. CGVWR so I was good to go. No brakes nothing. If over that I would need Med. cert. logbook for miles, Co. name with city and state location on truck DOT number if crossing state line. It got very muddy when I asked about buying a new enclosed 7x14. He said if both axles on the truck weigh less than both axles of the trailer I would need brakes on each axle. He basically was like just get out of here, we are going to find something anyway so don't even try. I called a guy that builds trailers and he said he can make the GVWR of the trailer lower of I would like to slide by :) . I mean the cop was saying well if you only have 2 wheels on the ground that's no problem if your under by say 5 lbs. but don't have an enclosed trailer with say only half or less the max load on it or we will make your life h.... Just doesn't make any sense at all. I would like to get a bigger trailer as I do a good bit of highway miles and feel better with 4 wheels on the trailer for safety but don't want to get in to a spot with the DOT rules.

I work for one guy that works at MDOT and another in state government. Sending out a letter in the next few days about prices going up (not due to gas prices) but due to having to comply with all the same rules an 18 wheeler has to. I thought I could joke about I know everyone is raising prices due to high gas prices... I'm raising them due to MDOT and let them chew on that.

lawn king
05-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Here in massachusetts any commercial vehicle of 10000 # gvw is subject to the dot. Any trailer,any weight on any vehicle in MA. is required to have brakes. We are also required to have a federal inspection sticker as well as state,health card,triangle kit,first aid kit,fire extinguisher,dot approved chains,binders and fuel cans. Trailers are required to have fully functional brakes,lights,safety chains and break away switch. Trucks have to be lettered,numbered and display the company telephone #, magnetic signs are illegal in MA. The bottom line is its not easy to roll out of the shop completely complient every day, we do try and our 2 inspections in the last 5 years were not too painful (1 tow) as the dot cops could see we were making the effort!

razor1
05-19-2007, 11:04 AM
This won't help matters......

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — Three men were killed and five people were injured Thursday afternoon in a crash on the westbound Bay Bridge involving seven vehicles, authorities said. The crash occurred when a trailer being towed by an SUV detached and other vehicles swerved to avoid it.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-10-bay-bridge-crash_N.htm?csp=34

Mark in MD
05-20-2007, 10:52 AM

Here in massachusetts any commercial vehicle of 10000 # gvw is subject to the dot. Any trailer,any weight on any vehicle in MA. is required to have brakes. We are also required to have a federal inspection sticker as well as state,health card,triangle kit,first aid kit,fire extinguisher,dot approved chains,binders and fuel cans. Trailers are required to have fully functional brakes,lights,safety chains and break away switch. Trucks have to be lettered,numbered and display the company telephone #, magnetic signs are illegal in MA. The bottom line is its not easy to roll out of the shop completely complient every day, we do try and our 2 inspections in the last 5 years were not too painful (1 tow) as the dot cops could see we were making the effort!Ok, so the rules do vary from state to state. You guys had me worried there for a sec.

When I was running stakebody trucks and trailers, the rule was any truck over 10,000 GVW was subject. I had one F-350 stakebody that was actually exempt because the GVW was 10,000 lbs, not over 10,000.

Re my pickup truck and trailer, I've never been stopped, and I've never heard of anybody in MD being stopped. I've got no sign on my truck (it's new) and no brakes on my trailer (brakes are not required). Most lawn services around here, especially the smaller ones, do NOT have a sign on the truck.

I do have one on my trailer.

grandview (2006)
06-23-2007, 09:42 PM
OK you guys now we need to carry log books with us. Dot stopped a guy I know and asked for his book. We can't work over 60 hrs a week and that includes paperwork at home and doing estimates. I guest it's time for 2 sets of books again.

d&rlawncare
06-23-2007, 10:05 PM
OK you guys now we need to carry log books with us. Dot stopped a guy I know and asked for his book. We can't work over 60 hrs a week and that includes paperwork at home and doing estimates. I guest it's time for 2 sets of books again.

You only need a logbook if you travel more than 115.8 miles AND have a GVWR or GCWR over 10,000 pounds. The 115.8 is from your home base so as long as you are in that you are fine.

I hope nobody here has to travel more than 115.8 miles to get to there furthest client.

Uranus
06-23-2007, 10:14 PM
I think you should get a handbook when you get your commercial plates. Give us a list of what we need to comply with dot. Atleast give us a clue. We have to find out the hard way by paying out $100's.

How about a Sticky that gives us some info of what we need to have and how to comply with dot.

TGM
06-23-2007, 10:30 PM
there are two different hour books...one is HOS..hours of service which only states how many hours you work in a day/week...and the other is the typical logbook where you log in where you drive to, stop, start again, etc.

SiteSolutions
06-25-2007, 12:10 AM

In AL, any commercial use truck, from one tons and up, has to have an in-state DOT number (if not engaged in interstate commerce). You don't have to pay anything for it but you do have to register. At least that's what I recall from when I researched it last year. I don't think 3/4 tons have to have it.

What I haven't considered (or researched) is: a lot of folks have asked me how come I don't have the location of my business on my signage. I have my name, phone#, and DOT#, but not "Toney, Alabama"... I wonder if this is going to bite me in the rear or if this is not required?

Overall, I am glad to comply with DOT rules. I know cops around here have been tougher on smaller operations lately (guys hauling mowers with half-ton trucks, for example) but if we didn't have some sort of rules we would be like Mexico or Cuba where anything can get out on the road. I don't have a link to a specific story but I am sure we all have heard stories of overloaded busses with 50 passengers and 36 chickens and 3 goats and all sorts of cargo plunging off an inadequate road in some third-world country, killing all aboard and injuring bystanders... not an alternative I'd want to see here.

I have got away with a little when I was just starting out. As I have become more successful I have been trying to put money back into compliance and safety. Now that I have gone full-time, I just put my dump truck in the shop to get it really safe and legal, as it was starting to get worn out and a little unsafe. It is inconvenient to have to hire a truck right now, but being full time, I don't want to take any unnecessary risks... business and life are risky enough!

Fatboy
06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
there are two different hour books...one is HOS..hours of service which only states how many hours you work in a day/week...and the other is the typical logbook where you log in where you drive to, stop, start again, etc.

No, one logbook that shows all of the above with 24 hours on a page with at least one copy. The page has 4 horizontal lines that you must connect with a vertical line and everytime that you move from one horizontal line to the next then you must write in the remarks section the location where that change was made.
On the right side of each horizontal line is a space to enter the total for that line. All these hours added vertically must total 24, period.

The only other book that could be required is for pre/post trip inspection (PTI). I've worked for companies the either had a seperate PTI book or the PTI was on the back of the 3rd copy of a 3 part log. One place that I worked the PTI was on the bottom half of the oversized log book.
Like the logs the PTI had to be turned in or mailed the dispatch every day or no dispatch/pay check.

Fat Boy

d&rlawncare
06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
I think you should get a handbook when you get your commercial plates. Give us a list of what we need to comply with dot. Atleast give us a clue. We have to find out the hard way by paying out $100's.

How about a Sticky that gives us some info of what we need to have and how to comply with dot.

Michigan does have a handbook you can get. Call the Michigan center for Truck Safety to get one. Or your local state police post/scales.

d&rlawncare
06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
No, one logbook that shows all of the above with 24 hours on a page with at least one copy. The page has 4 horizontal lines that you must connect with a vertical line and everytime that you move from one horizontal line to the next then you must write in the remarks section the location where that change was made.
On the right side of each horizontal line is a space to enter the total for that line. All these hours added vertically must total 24, period.

The only other book that could be required is for pre/post trip inspection (PTI). I've worked for companies the either had a seperate PTI book or the PTI was on the back of the 3rd copy of a 3 part log. One place that I worked the PTI was on the bottom half of the oversized log book.
Like the logs the PTI had to be turned in or mailed the dispatch every day or no dispatch/pay check.

Fat Boy

Your are correct. There are not 2 different types of logbooks.

d&rlawncare
06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
In AL, any commercial use truck, from one tons and up, has to have an in-state DOT number (if not engaged in interstate commerce). You don't have to pay anything for it but you do have to register. At least that's what I recall from when I researched it last year. I don't think 3/4 tons have to have it.

What I haven't considered (or researched) is: a lot of folks have asked me how come I don't have the location of my business on my signage. I have my name, phone#, and DOT#, but not "Toney, Alabama"... I wonder if this is going to bite me in the rear or if this is not required?

Overall, I am glad to comply with DOT rules. I know cops around here have been tougher on smaller operations lately (guys hauling mowers with half-ton trucks, for example) but if we didn't have some sort of rules we would be like Mexico or Cuba where anything can get out on the road. I don't have a link to a specific story but I am sure we all have heard stories of overloaded busses with 50 passengers and 36 chickens and 3 goats and all sorts of cargo plunging off an inadequate road in some third-world country, killing all aboard and injuring bystanders... not an alternative I'd want to see here.

I have got away with a little when I was just starting out. As I have become more successful I have been trying to put money back into compliance and safety. Now that I have gone full-time, I just put my dump truck in the shop to get it really safe and legal, as it was starting to get worn out and a little unsafe. It is inconvenient to have to hire a truck right now, but being full time, I don't want to take any unnecessary risks... business and life are risky enough!

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/390.21.htm

here is the federal link. Name and DOT only. Unless your state has a STATE law that you are required to follow. In MICHIGAN you have to either comply with the Federal law or State Law. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/Intrastate_USDOT_FAQs_189910_7.pdf

richallseasons
06-25-2007, 07:51 PM
I went on awdirect.com and bought a kit, its a red tool box with a fire extiguisher, road flares and triangles in it, also has a window so that you can monitor the extinguisher charge. I just throw it in which ever truck that I am using for the day and away we go, the whole setup was like $130.00 delivered ups.

PerfectEarth
06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Can someone help me with a question?

I'm currently registering online for a DOT number. When it comes to "Hazardous Materials" do I need to say "YES" to that- even if the most I will ever have in the truck is around 7 gallons in sealed Eagle Safety cans??

OH... and another question (may seem dumb) - I am a single guy, LLC, Will have a F550 pulling a Bri-mar (30,500 GCWR) for my landscape work. Am I considered private, for hire, or not for hire???

d&rlawncare
06-25-2007, 10:11 PM
no for the haz mat. and you are for-hire

PerfectEarth
06-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the answer, d&r.

SiteSolutions
06-25-2007, 11:40 PM
no for the haz mat. and you are for-hire

I would have said "No for hazmat" because you have to have a RQ - Reportable Quanitity of the material on board for hazmat rules to apply... you can carry a pretty large amount of fuel without being hazmat, but the RQ for some other things is a lot smaller (dynamite or Chlorine gas for example)

But I would have thought "Not for Hire" as you only are hauling your own equipment / materials... or maybe you haul materials for resale(mulch or topsoil?), in which case I guess that is "For hire", isn't it...:confused:

d&rlawncare
06-26-2007, 07:39 AM
I would have said "No for hazmat" because you have to have a RQ - Reportable Quanitity of the material on board for hazmat rules to apply... you can carry a pretty large amount of fuel without being hazmat, but the RQ for some other things is a lot smaller (dynamite or Chlorine gas for example)

But I would have thought "Not for Hire" as you only are hauling your own equipment / materials... or maybe you haul materials for resale(mulch or topsoil?), in which case I guess that is "For hire", isn't it...:confused:

You are for hire because you provide a service. Your customers "hire" you to do work. The only time you are "not for hire" is when you deliver your own product with you own equipment without providing a service. If that makes since:confused:

unit28
06-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Just been busted twice in 2 weeks.
one cop pulled me over for speeding and gave me a seatbelt ticket.:confused:

I wasn't speeding and I was wearing my seatbelt.

I guess they have a quota....yes they do so shut it.
http://www.independentreview.net/node/1119

A two-week “Click It or Ticket” statewide enforcement campaign generated 9,324 seat belt citations, according to the Department of Public Safety.

Preliminary reports have been filed by 327 enforcement agencies. The final ticket tally will increase as more agencies submit reports. The Safe & Sober effort included participation from more than 440 law enforcement agencies.

I did have my passport radar detector and it didn't make a sound until I pulled away. I was just driving my 3/4 ton truck at the wrong place.
------------------------------
The second time was major,
since I didn't have a clue about being a trucker. [I'm from TX.]
I had my trailer ...... he weighed it and it was loaded weight of 3200#
no brakes, or safety inspection sheet, or med card, fire ext mounted in the cab, dot # or sign on the truck, a bungy cord holding the spreader in the back,
and of course the radar detector.

cost of getting the trailer towed was 250 bucks and fine for no brakes.....I don't wanna find out.

But I found this rules webpage to be helpful
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/patrol/comveh/nesap/eta_mc_eng.htm

SiteSolutions
07-01-2007, 11:50 PM
You are for hire because you provide a service. Your customers "hire" you to do work. The only time you are "not for hire" is when you deliver your own product with you own equipment without providing a service. If that makes since:confused:

I'm still not sure I have it... I see "Not for Hire" on the side of trucks that haul private stuff, like race cars. So that seems to fit.

I guess I just assumed that "For Hire" meant that the trucking / hauling service itself was for hire, as in, I could hire somebody with a dump truck to move dirt for me... and that "Not For Hire" meant that the truck stayed busy enough with it's own loads, thank you very much, as in "No, I won't move your equipment with my lowboy, the truck is not for hire."

I guess I could quit thinking and guessing and just try to look up actual rules on the web...