PDA

View Full Version : One last weed - What is it?

Gabby
05-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I am having trouble identifying this one last weed. Anyone know what it is (see pics) ? It has small whitish purplish blueish flowers on it? The lawn is a northeast lawn with bluegrass, rye and fescue. What can I use to kill them without killing the lawn? I have used the Bayer weed killer for lawns and it has killed all the weeds except this one. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Shades of Green LService
05-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Looks like speedwell. Try using a little dish soap w/ your next spray. 2-4 D should work fine.

Gabby
05-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by 2-4 D? Thanks.

RAlmaroad
05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Shades: I think corn speedwell has more of a heart shape. This may be common chickweed. http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/steme.htm[/url]
Classic Trimec or most 2,4-D, 3 way(as above post) will get it. It's everywhere

grassguy_
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Corn Speedwell, most 3 way products will get control on , but need to spray with fine droplet (fan tip) application for best control as large droplets will not stay on leaf tissue. 2,4-D is a component in your three way compounds, the most common weed control component for years. Not trying to be a prick, but be sure to take some time to know your weed control products. Best to hit it while still in bloom, once this annual goes to seed the plant will die and the seeding for the next yr is already done, usually a shot window for control. Good Luck!

Plant Buyer 83
05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Grassguys Right, looks like Corn Speedwell to me.

lawnservice
05-07-2007, 07:38 PM
i'd agree that it is speedwell which can be more difficult to control than other weeds and a liquid (with fine spray as mentioned) is much better than a granular control product (I'm guessing your bayer product was granular?) not unussual to have to apply control a couple of times about 10-14 days apart for speedwells

nice pictures by the way

Shades of Green LService
05-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Shades: I think corn speedwell has more of a heart shape. This may be common chickweed. http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/steme.htm[/url]
Classic Trimec or most 2,4-D, 3 way(as above post) will get it. It's everywhere

Look how the leaves have a light fuzz on them. Def. not chickweed ( my arch enemy)

americanlawn
05-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Me too. Speedwell for sure - growing in improved cultivars of Kentucky bluegrass. (you can actually see a couple of their light blue flowers).

Good advice above from members regarding control. Fine mist is better if it provides good coverage. Amines will knock it out by using good technique, but esters will knock it out nomatter what.

2-4 D is the most common ingredient of most common 3-way or 2-way herbicides. Check the label to see.

Also, spraying when it's warm & humid works really great! Of course that's not always possible. We prefer using 2-4 D plis Trichlopir (Chaser).

Gabby
05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
This is what I used:
http://www.bayeradvanced.com/product/All-In-One-Weed-Killer-for-Lawns/concentrate.html
Sprayed it on with a pump up sprayer. Works great for all the other weeds except this one (Speedwell as you all say). So what will the dish soap do anyway? Oh and again thanks for all and any replies!

americanlawn
05-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Okay...looks like you used a product that should take care of it. Bayer is "top notch" in the lawn care industry.

I think you did your research.

bntt68
05-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Dishsoap is used as a sticker or surfactant. It helps your spray stick to the target weed.

mrkosar
05-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Dishsoap is used as a sticker or surfactant. It helps your spray stick to the target weed.

any dishsoap? how much do you usually add?

Gabby
05-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah that is a good question - How much dishsoup would you put in a 2 gallon sprayer? Thanks.

RAlmaroad
05-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Look how the leaves have a light fuzz on them. Def. not chickweed ( my arch enemy)

Yes, I got in a little closer and saw that...I stand corrected. Thanks, Roy

bntt68
05-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I dont know about the dishsoap for measurements. I use Lescos spreader sticker for broadleaf and use methylated seedoil surfactant for Drive.

sedge
05-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I am having trouble identifying this one last weed. Anyone know what it is (see pics) ? It has small whitish purplish blueish flowers on it? The lawn is a northeast lawn with bluegrass, rye and fescue. What can I use to kill them without killing the lawn? I have used the Bayer weed killer for lawns and it has killed all the weeds except this one. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Gabby, what brand and model of camera did you use to take those pics? They are pretty dam good!!! Awesome in fact.

Runner
05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Actually, the main of dishsoap is not as a sticker, but as a surfactant (spreader). What this does is better allow the chemical to be soaked into the plant tissue.
To begin with, we have to understand just exactly what soap does - how it works....this applies to any soap. (This is cool, because many people don't know).
What soap does, is breaks the surface tension of water. Water has a certain amount of what is called surface tension, due to molecular cohesion. If you spill water out on your kitchen table, in most cases, you have a puddle for the majority of it. If you push two drops together (slowly), you will notice that as the drops get real close to each other, they draw to each other. This is the cohesion. The same applies to overfilling a glass of water. Fill a level glass of water all the way to the top, and you can literally see the water bulging over the top of the glass - without spilling down the sides. Now,....it is because of this that keeps water stuck to itself, and therefore, causes larger drops to run off of the plant - many times drops may even come together - then run off. When you have an oil slick on top of water in your sink, and you put a drop of dishsoap in it,...what happens? The oil separates and pulls to the sides. This is because the surface tension of the water is broke. Well, when soap and/or spreader is added to the mix, it actually "thins" the water...making it easier for the chem to absorb. This is not just because of the bigger view...the drops separating, but on a much smaller basis, as well.
The spreader/stickers we buy have both properties in them. They have a spreader, to break the surface tension, but they also have a sticker that acts as a tackifier as well.
I hope this helps, and no,...there is no charge for todays science lesson.:) I gotta go now,...lunch is over.

Gabby
05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Gabby, what brand and model of camera did you use to take those pics? They are pretty dam good!!! Awesome in fact.

Actually the camera I used is an older Nikon Coolpix 995 3.1 megapixel camera. It is actually a POS for the most part, but it was just a real bright sunny day and that is why I think they came out so good. I actually took 4 pictures hoping one would come out good and they all came out good so I used them all.

Back to my last question - So how much soap for 2 gallons of water? Thanks!

Runner
05-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Probably about a one or two second squirt.
Less than you would use for a sink full of dishes, anyway....lol

turf hokie
05-09-2007, 08:06 AM
College professor always swore that Dawn was the best surfactant out there and the recomendation for it was a drop or two per gallon or two.

Gabby
05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Well I added some Dawn to the mixture and layed it on down. We'll see what happens. I like just the fact that it made it come out a finer mist. How many applications of this do you think it will take? This stuff seems tough! Thanks.

RigglePLC
05-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Actually, three way is almost worthless on speedwell (Veronica).
But oddly enough--Drive does a very nice job. Doesn't twist or curl, just turns brown. Read the label.

Also remember Veronica is a winter annual. Seed comes up in fall. Blooms in spring. Drops new seed. Dies when temp hits about 85.

Gabby
05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually, three way is almost worthless on speedwell (Veronica).
But oddly enough--Drive does a very nice job. Doesn't twist or curl, just turns brown. Read the label.

Also remember Veronica is a winter annual. Seed comes up in fall. Blooms in spring. Drops new seed. Dies when temp hits about 85.

What is three way????

tremor
05-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Threeway is about the same as Trimec.

Dacthal would wipe Speedwell right out. But since it turned up in a few too many wells....I still have a 2.5 gl jug here somewhere but then I'm on city water so...