PDA

View Full Version : Walkers

vipermanz
08-10-2001, 03:15 AM
The model S with a 36" deck and 11hp kawasaki,

IS IS WORTH IT???

(Remember, i only plan to use this on 8 yards including my own!)

captdevo
08-10-2001, 07:48 AM
these are nice machines for the money.

there are some with alot of hours logged on them that are doing fine.

since they have chain drive, they are more maintenance. but if taken care of it should last you a long time.

LawnSmith
08-10-2001, 09:33 AM
man, i have been in the business in more ways than one for over 6 years now and i havent heard of a "Walker". this is baffling to me because of all the respect they get on this board. my dad has had a landscape/lawn company for some time in Nashville, TN. i use to travel down there from kentucky and i never saw any walkers down there either. i worked on golf course maintenance for over a year, no walkers. my uncle is the greenskeeper of another local course, no walkers. i went to turf school for 2 years no walkers, and i have had my own business for about 4 years now and i havent seen these machines anywhere. the only thing i could think of is maybe they look similar to some other type of mower and i havent realized it was a walker. anyway, if we have a dealer around here, you can bet i will demo one to see what they are made of.

just went to their website, i think i have seen those before. personally, you couldnt give me one of those. i cant stand the "between the crotch" handles. also, those look like something a homeowner should buy.

Indiana
08-10-2001, 09:53 AM
Hey Lawnsmith,

You should try the Walker out before you bash.

Walkers are one of the best machines on the market and deserve some respect.

Demo one for a day, then come back and say how it is and what you think.

It gets me mad when guys bash things they haven't tried or used.:angry:

LawnSmith
08-10-2001, 10:01 AM
i'm not going to go out of my way to try one out. if someone i know picks one up i will run it to see what i think. for me, that machine is too long and bulky. if i wanted to catch grass or leaves i would just buy the box for my Tiger.

btw, i didnt mean to come of as "bashing" the machine. i can pick out a lot of things i dont like about a lot of mowers.

Evan528
08-10-2001, 10:10 AM
Ive never once seen an LCO in the area with one. I have seen a couple at like public gardens and such where it would be unsafe to discharge with all the people around!

vipermanz
08-10-2001, 02:33 PM
Would It Be Easier To Just Get A 36"WB???????

Mowingman
08-10-2001, 03:27 PM
My Walker is the best investment I have made since getting involved in lawncare 10 years ago. With the 42" collecting deck and a 42" mulching deck, it is used every day from first mowing to end of leaf cleanup. The Walker will go anywhere a wb will go except on steep hillsides. I would rather ride than chase a wb around all day. If you add a ride-on attachment to a wb, it is not nearly as maneuverable as a Walker. After 3 seasons of mowing, not one thing has ever gone wrong with my Walker. With a Walker, a 60"ZTR, and a 21" trim mower on the trailer, I can handle anything, and my wb collects dust in the shop. At 51 years old, my motto is " why walk when you can sit down and ride".:D

jeffyr
08-10-2001, 04:04 PM
Viper,

As with anything I buy, I think about the resale value should I decide to get rid of it. I don't think you would get much for a used 11 hp chain drive and you may even have a tough time selling it. I think that if you spend the extra $$$ for the MT 20hp the machine will definately hold up better and hold its value for years.

But for 8 yards I would think a WB is the best choice unless they are HUGE.
Even so a sulky will give relief on large areas.

jeffyr

vipermanz
08-10-2001, 04:46 PM
i was thinking the same thing jeffyr