PDA

View Full Version : Clicking under truck.....

mcwlandscaping
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Over the last week i notice clicking under the truck while i'm driving and tonight i had my dad drive the truck while i listened and while i ran next to it so see if i could hear where it was coming from. You can only hear it at low speeds most likely because the sound of the motor and exhaust drown out the clicking. What could this be? Something in the driveshaft joints somewhere maybe? It's not the tranny and not the rear diff. and is definitely coming from somewhere under the truck behind under the bed. It may be something insignificant but i hate things wrong with the truck and hate putting off fixing anything on the truck.

-mike-

snowbrdr360
05-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Could be a U jouint ready to check out on ya

Restrorob
05-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Take the clothes pins and playing cards off the wheels. :laugh:

Does sound like a U joint like snowbrdr said.

mcwlandscaping
05-07-2007, 09:35 PM
As most places are closed right now, how much should i expect to pay for new ones as i'll just do it at school durring shop........we just did this same thing with the teachers truck a few weeks ago.

Restrorob
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
15/20 bux a pop should cover it.

mcwlandscaping
05-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Thank you very much!!

edit...dumb question...... how many are there?

DBL
05-07-2007, 10:05 PM
one on each end on the drive shafts sounds like youre only doing the main one going to the rear but theres also a drive shaft going to the front for your 4x4

mcwlandscaping
05-07-2007, 10:09 PM
thank you very much guys! that'll be wednesdays project!!

Bill Kapaun
05-07-2007, 10:30 PM
You might actually want to check it first.
Chock the wheels WELL, so the truck can't roll. Put it in neutral.
Climb under the truck and push back & forth on each U joint in several different directions. Look closely where each of the 4 "legs" fits into the bearing cup for play. IF you see ANY play, it's a bad U joint.
IF you end up replacing any of them, mark the drive shaft in relation to the differential yoke. You can have balance issues if you don't mate them up the way they were.

Turfinator1
05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah its your U joints. You will have to check but on mine 99 chevy silverado I had to heat them up to make to glue come out because they dont have clips. I would change all of them when you are doing it. I found out that all of mine were bad. Just .02

Turfinator1
05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Bill I tried that and they were all tight in the truck but once I got it out of the truck they were bad!!!

snowbrdr360
05-08-2007, 12:29 AM
When we did them on my 98 we used serviceable ones. They had zerks that I greased every oil change, id go that route if I were you!

Sydenstricker Landscaping
05-08-2007, 03:44 AM
The old shake the drive shaft to see if the joints have any play in them, doesnt always work. Mine were bad, but I didnt know till they came out. But as snowbrdr360 said, put servicable ones in that you can grease. I would then lube them with every oil change. Since you do plow snow with this truck too, be sure to get heavy or super duty u-joints.

sancho_man_orlando
05-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Could it be the timing belt?

That's what I was told was making my clicking under my nissan pick up.

Bill Kapaun
05-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Could it be the timing belt?

That's what I was told was making my clicking under my nissan pick up.

You should probably quit listening to that person.

topsites
05-09-2007, 10:00 AM
The first thing I would do, after you get up under the truck, is look real good and see if there isn't a branch or twig caught up somewhere, more than once have I heard a strange noise and that's all it was.

mcwlandscaping
05-09-2007, 11:00 PM
well, changed u-joints today, got the HD ones w/ grease fitting, $22 for the pair. and put em' in. The clicking is still there, i think it has something to do with the e-brake )it still all works but, anyway, overall the occastional clunking is gone and the new u joints cut down big time on high speed vibration.........the new rear end is going in the truck next week with new parts on that so that should solve the clicking problem. Overall i'm pretty proud of myself for doing this myself today even though it didn't fix the initialy asked problem. Just some other new part on the truck that i now know has been replaced, when it's been replaced, and that it's been done correctly! thanks guys for all your help!!! :)

themowerman
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Make sure no one is wedging your load!!! LOL....We uses to take the big Zippy ties and zippy tie them to our buddies drive shaft. When he went slow it would tick....then dissappear when he went faster....drove him nuts for over a week!!!

Fasttrack237
05-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Make sure no one is wedging your load!!! LOL....We uses to take the big Zippy ties and zippy tie them to our buddies drive shaft. When he went slow it would tick....then dissappear when he went faster....drove him nuts for over a week!!!

:D

Hahaha i got to try that on some guys at work!

Vikings
05-10-2007, 08:12 PM
When my u joints went the symptom was vibrations that got worse as you sped up.

edit: whoops, didn't read the thread. Maybe its a rock in yer tire:)

rcmike
05-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Are you sure there isn't a bolt or something stuck in one of the tires? I have had that happen a few times and you would here a click every time it hit the pavement. I had a big 4" or so carriage bolt in one of mine one time that never leaked air but made a racket going down wht road.

Turfinator1
05-13-2007, 05:17 PM
or a rock in the tread???

South Florida Lawns
07-04-2007, 02:46 PM
is the noise still there, check your tires like the last dudes said. I had the same problem and it turned out to be a lag bolt in my front tire, that caused noise and vibration.

BQLC
07-05-2007, 05:02 PM
:D

Hahaha i got to try that on some guys at work!
we do this to almost every new employee at my full time job it is funny