PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer -- Question

Approach
05-07-2007, 08:22 PM
I have a small short-bed Nissan Truck. I want to buy an enclosed trailer. The trailer I have my eye on is 6' x 12' Do you think it will be too awkward, or a bad choice. It's more space than I need.

Is there a rule-of-thumb on Enclosed trailers? Is Wider better? "Longer" better? etc.

TPLawnPro
05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm not 100% certain, but I am confident that a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer, even lightly loaded, will rapidly break down your Nissan's transmission, motor mounts, suspension, etc. In your situation, the most you might want to consider is a 6' x 12' open trailer, tandem axle, w/ brakes.

At the minimum you really need a truck with a capable V6 engine, along with a capable transmission and chassis to suit. Then you could feel a little more comfortable pursuing the enclosed trailer that you are considering.

Ex: At the minimum: Dodge Dakota w/V6, Ford F150 w/V6, Chevy/GMC w/V6.

mini14
05-12-2007, 11:10 PM
bigger is allways better.

Idealtim
05-13-2007, 12:13 AM
bigger is allways better.

Transmission shops love people like you....

ed2hess
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Just buy what you need...easy to get 36" and 21" side by side if that is what you are running. Take it easy with your truck and it will probably be fine.

Rizzo
05-13-2007, 10:09 PM
If you are talking about a Nissan Frontier if you have the v6 engine it is rated to tow 3500# manual trans or 5000# with the automatic. If this is what you have then a 6x12 enclosed will be fine if you are mostly driving in town. I think the highway would kill that truck with that much resistance before long. If you only have the 4 cylinder then don't think about an enclosed trailer. As with any towing the most important factor is stopping the load. You will most likely not have brakes with a 6x12 enclosed and your small truck will not have heavy brakes so be careful.

TPLawnPro
05-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Even with a Nissan Frontier's V6 engine, whether manual or automatic, that truck should never be exposed to the demands of day to day stresses from towing a 6x12 enclosed trailer - loaded or un-loaded.

If someone insists on owning a Nissan for towing a 6x12 enclosed trailer, balance-loaded with lawn equipment, then a Titan with a V8 would be much more suitable.

If anyone is going to be towing a 6x12 enclosed trailer everyday for work, then they had better have a vehicle that doesn't break a sweat under the load.

The solution... :usflag: Buy American! :usflag:

Approach
05-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Will an Enclosed 5' x 8' be okay for my little Nissan truck? It's a 1997 short bed and has 4-cylinder.

Rizzo
05-14-2007, 12:33 PM
In town you should be ok as I think that trailer will only be rated for 2000#. Are you needing the enclosed for storage of the equipment? And how many days a week are u going to be pulling it? If it is in town and only 1 or 2 days a week you should be ok. Just make sure you keep up on your service intervals for the truck and don't overload anything.

TPLawnPro
05-14-2007, 02:45 PM
You might be able to get by with a 5x8 enclosed. If you do go this route, just be sure to take it easy on your truck.

Also, be sure to get yourself a brake controller installed in your truck. At the same time, make sure your 5x8 trailer comes with electric brakes. If the trailer does not include electric brakes, have the dealer install them. The electric brakes will help reduce the forward momentum significantly on your truck when all brakes are applied.

Good luck.

Prestige-Lawncare
05-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Will an Enclosed 5' x 8' be okay for my little Nissan truck? It's a 1997 short bed and has 4-cylinder.

You really don't want to cut yourself short by going with such a small trailer. In my opinion ... a 5' x 8' trailer will rapidly become WAY to small.

I agree with a post from above. If you are keeping this truck, I would definitely go with an open trailer.

M&SLawnCare
05-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I just upgraded from a 5/8 trailer. Definatly do not even consider it. Unless your just hauling around a few 21" mowers (and in that case just toss them in the bed), you'll end up packing that trailer full and still short room. Either go with an open trailer (and even then a 6X12 loaded will beat that truck into the ground), or get a new truck. For the cost of closed trailers, you could even buy a cheap used truck and still have enough left over for a new 6/12 open.

If you plan to tow you really want atleast a decent 6 cylinder, preferably an 8.