PDA

View Full Version : PG + more than enough spray now..WOW!

americanlawn
05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
I posted several times regarding poor weed spray covereage/control with our PG Ultras, but I figured this "new post" is warranted.

What we did:

We yanked out the original 1.0 gpm Shurflo pump >> put in a 3.0 gpm Shurflo.
We installed the new pump in our "spot bottle" straps on the side of the hopper.

We yanked out the PG plastic battery. We installed a 12 - volt "motorcycle" battery just behind the 3.0 Shurflow pump. We used an steel "electrical box" from Menards and added the needed rubber padding.

Results:
We run in high gear at 10% higher RPM (speed) than what the unit was designed for (yes we tweaked it to run faster).
Spray coverage on concrete = "solid wet" -- no dry spots in between.

May 5 we tried this unit on lawns that were extremely weedy (including creeping Charlie, oxalis, speedwell, and other hard-to-kill weeds).

May 7.........we returned to check them out >>> the weeds are "frying" as I type. WOW!

We have not "bucket-checked" the gallons per minute yet, but we're mixing 4 ounces of herbicide per gallon of water in the eight-gallon tank.

Our future plans are to buy up used PG units (save money) and "conform" them to our standards.

We did not change the plumbing on this unit. It still has the "tee shutoff". We just will never use any lower nozzles.

lawnservice
05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
good for you guys

me, personally i still have a problem with a machine ($5000) that needs tweeking

when your ready for a slightly used unit give me a holler

indyturf
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Great!!! Sounds like you solved your weed problems!
I just finished one of the Centri's I bought a couple weeks ago. I put in a Fimco 2gpm pump, had to mount it sideways under the tank but thought about mounting it on the hopper. re-plumbed the lower nozzles with 1 line from the pump and a T under the hood to each nozzle. I used the white tips and I'm getting about a 12 ft spray pattern! I have to say I think its sprays better than my Magnum! I'm spraying my neighbors lawn tomorrow I think I will try the 4oz per gallon and see how it works.
I have to agree with you on buying used PG's and going through them and upgrading the spray system. I got 2 Centri's for $1600. ordered about $700 worth of parts and I'm doing the work myself, so I should have 2 working units for under $1200 each! I'm just afraid I'm going to like the Centri better than my Magnum when I'm all done!

Shades of Green LService
05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
So far i've had good weed control w/ my magnum. Had a 10K yard covered w/ chick. Sprayed, went back a week later and the stuff was just about on its way out. I'm happy w/my weed control w/ the magnum....so far. Good job though on that. Sounds like a good idea for the older models.

ampeg76
05-07-2007, 10:25 PM
sounds good, many guys here are very resourceful, but i'm with lawnservice, why spend all that money on a unit that needs to be tweaked by you!

the manufacturers are probably scanning this site and will update the unit based on their "beta testers":(

Runner
05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Americanlawn,
As soon as you can, please take the sprayer with water and do a parking lot coverage test. I would be curious to know how much area it is now covering per tank. Obviously, it will be a little bit lower, but just how much, I would be very interested in.
Right now, as the Ultras are rated at 34,000 sq. ft. per 8 gal. tank, we found that they actually cover closer to around 32 with border and overlap.
In your case, being that it is spraying faster (even with the same nozzles), and then taking into consideration the higher R's that give you a faster ground speed that helps counter this higher spray rate, as I say, I would love to know some numbers on this and just how well it works out. Nice job, and I sure hope it gives you vast improvement on production.

indyturf
05-07-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm spraying a 50k lawn tomorrow with the new improved Centri! last year I sprayed it with the Magnum and it took 12 gal. so I should have a good idea on how much coverage we get with the larger pump. I also set my speed up a little, it seemed a bit slow when I got it last week. RPM was @ 2800, I increased it to 3200 and it seems to be running faster than the Magnum @ 3450. I think I may leave the Magnum home tomorrow and give the Centri a workout!

LwnmwrMan22
05-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Americanlawn,
As soon as you can, please take the sprayer with water and do a parking lot coverage test. I would be curious to know how much area it is now covering per tank. Obviously, it will be a little bit lower, but just how much, I would be very interested in.
Right now, as the Ultras are rated at 34,000 sq. ft. per 8 gal. tank, we found that they actually cover closer to around 32 with border and overlap.
In your case, being that it is spraying faster (even with the same nozzles), and then taking into consideration the higher R's that give you a faster ground speed that helps counter this higher spray rate, as I say, I would love to know some numbers on this and just how well it works out. Nice job, and I sure hope it gives you vast improvement on production.

Runner -

I was getting your same sq ft totals (32k) with my Ultra as well. Now with the Magnum it's looking about 10% less than the 50k, or right around 45-46k / tank.

garydale
05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Run the numbers. I think you will need to recalculate oz. per k etc.

If weeds were "fried" (in 2 days)you maybe wasteing control product.

Weed control needs to be systemic to get thorough control. "Fried" will get you top kill only. IMO

Will the battery recharge with the larger pump?

indyturf
05-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Well I sprayed the 50k lawn with the Centri today with the new 2.1 gpm fimco, sprayed 15 gallons mixed @ 5oz per gallon. So the mix was pretty much right on the money. it didn't seem as fast as it did in the driveway at 3250! so I adjusted the rpm to 3450 and will up the mix to 6oz per gallon. then I spread fert and sprayed h2o on my 3 ac lawn. I still like the Magnum better but the Centri did seem a lot more stable on inclines.

americanlawn
05-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech support faxed us a hand-drawn diagram showing which wires to connect to the battery so it can recharge. PG said our Ultra was the "early model" so the wiring was not as good as the later Ultras.

We have not yet connected the battery to the 2 wires that come from the engine, but it ran all day today just fine. And we did alot of spraying with it -- mostly new customers with weedy lawns. For now, we will put a battery charger on it overnight. The battery is very easy to access cuz it's just behind the spray bottle bracket on the side. Also, since both the pump and the battery are mounted up high, there's little corrosion issue regarding the granular fertilizers.

Eight gallon tank now covers 30,000 sqare feet. Every clover leaflet gets sprayed now -- complete coverage for the first time.

We run the red nozzles.

I tested a Magnum last week at LESCO, and I was not impressed cuz the spray did not completely cover the concrete. So as long as our 2 Ultras keep running, we'll use them until they shell out. Then we'll probably switch to used Magnums and do the same upgrade.

We paid $2300 for the abovementioned Ultra....this included a carrying rack.

I'd post a pic, but I don't know how. I appreciate all your comments and resourcefulness. American

heritage
05-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Nice Job Americanlawn!

Pete D.

LwnmwrMan22
05-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Well I sprayed the 50k lawn with the Centri today with the new 2.1 gpm fimco, sprayed 15 gallons mixed @ 5oz per gallon. So the mix was pretty much right on the money. it didn't seem as fast as it did in the driveway at 3250! so I adjusted the rpm to 3450 and will up the mix to 6oz per gallon. then I spread fert and sprayed h2o on my 3 ac lawn. I still like the Magnum better but the Centri did seem a lot more stable on inclines.

That's what I hate most about my Magnum over the Ultra I sold. I can't STAND my Magnum on inclines.

The Ranger
05-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Sounds like some more poor design at PG made better by someown in the field.

lilmarvin4064
05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Well, it looks like I'll be designing a spray system for Lesco's HPS very soon. That's what we need! any ideas?

RigglePLC
05-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Well, I saw a electric sprayer at Home Depot last week. 25 gallon pull behind with Fimco 1 gal per min pump. Parked outside next to the lawn tractors. Didn't see a price. Take a look--maybe you can use it.
Lesco sells a similar sprayer at about $225, (no wheels).

indyturf
05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
one thing you have to remember about the spray pattern is when you have a 12 ft pattern you will have overlap. I think I have my Centri spraying the same pattern as the Magnum now and I have had good results with the Magnum.

americanlawn
05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
My main PG operator brought in $1400 today. This compares to the other 7 guys (2 girls + 5 guys) averaging $700 per day.

Seems more and more lawns we acquire are bigger, so we will probably put into use our 2nd Ultra once we install the 3.0 Shurflow on it. Seems the motorcycle battery is the real key though.

I realize one of the two PG's will shell out soon, so I have no prob buying another used PG.

You didn't hear it from me, but a "local company" that sells the Magnum...is not impressed with the weed coverage either (I test drove several Magnums, and there was certianly no complete coverage on concrete).

I don't mean to put down PG, cuz we now are extremely happy with ours. Perma Green's tech support is very fine and quick to respond. I think they could tweak their units and sell a whole lot more.

Thanks all for your positive input -- this is a very nice site. Lots of good people.

NattyLawn
05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
With the Magnum, I apply in high gear out of both broadcast nozzles. Adjust your mix rates, and you're good to go. I really have no complaints about coverage or kill.

As far as inclines go, the Magnum is much better on inclines in my opinion. The Centri would have torn up turf and I would have down the ol' jump off and push much more than now. My complaints are the hopper and turning like a tank.

americanlawn
05-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks NattyLawn -- I would love to design & build ride-ons without the bugs. That would be cool. Working seven days a week right now, so that is out of the question. Plus I'm not smart enough, nor do I have the tools to build one from ground up.

So in the meantime, I'll keep complaining & tweaking the equipment we have.

I surely never intend to badmouth any company (unless they really deserve it) LOL ......... instead I will continue to appreciate the help from guys like you and others. Thanks, American.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Okay, sorry because I know this is an old post, but it has exactly what I am trying to do on my Centri. Since the pump is only giving me about .5 gpm I'm upgrading to a new one. I wanted to get the Shurflo 2.1 gpm pump but it says that it takes 8 amps and the generator on the centri only is rated to produce 7.7 amps. It's fine with me if I get a little less than 2 gpm I just don't want to ruin the pump or generator by doing this? Hopefully someone smarter than me knows more about electrical on here? thanks =D

yardsmart
10-03-2011, 04:50 PM
You shouldn't have a problem. I think on shur flo pumps the more pressure(say 60 psi) it will draw 8.0 amps and around 30 psi its is around 5.5-6.0 amps.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
10-03-2011, 08:35 PM
oh really? okay that's very helpful, thank so much - I'll order it and wire it up.

indyturf
10-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I tried that on one of my centri's. the pump it twice the size as the original so it can't me mounted in the same spot. I mounted it on the side of the hopper. it sprayed great! too great lol. could only spray about 20k per tank instead of 32k. I ended up switching back to the 1gpm it was better IMO

RigglePLC
10-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I am still concerned your generator is not putting out full voltage or full amps. Take it off. Have it tested by a shop. I think Auto-Zone can do that for free. Also remove your pump and test its output using your truck battery.

Remember the pressure is limited to 10 pounds by the pressure regulator--any excess is routed back to the tank. And Indy makes a good point--too much spray volume and your tank does not go as far.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Okay thanks Riggle. I already tested the pump straight off the battery and got 86 oz in one minute. With the generator I was getting 64 oz per min. So ya, I think you're right that the generator might not be quite up to par but neither is the pump. I was thinking I'd put on the larger 2.1 gpm pump and hopefully the generator will put out enough power to at least give me a little over 1 gpm. With the current setup I have it calibrated to put down 38 oz per K which would probably work okay, but I have to go slower than high speed to get that and the coverage isn't perfect. I will get me by this final round of apps but I really need to get this tweeked over the winter =D.

RigglePLC
10-04-2011, 01:49 PM
38 oz per 1000 sqft. That should work OK. Should give you 26,000 sqft per tank. Maybe you need a little bit finer droplet--different nozzles.

If you want more pressure--you may need to install a pressure regulator valve instead of the 10 pounds pressure fixed valve on the baypass line.

gebby
10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Not that I am a expert but, I would first try the pump. If that does not do the job, try the generator and or new nozzles. Once you start to modify your machine, who knows what can happen. Kind of like chopping up a car. Nothing like something working the way it was designed to work. I've been following your progress. I also have a permagreen that is running a few oz. light. Just a little. It has a new pump and have not checked generator or the nozzles. For now I'll just monitor it and try to work within the paramiders of the machine. The few times that I have used it, the machine has done a good job and is doing what I had hoped it would do. Kill weeds, spread fertilizer, keep me from getting all worn out. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

grassman177
10-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Not that I am a expert but, I would first try the pump. If that does not do the job, try the generator and or new nozzles. Once you start to modify your machine, who knows what can happen. Kind of like chopping up a car. Nothing like something working the way it was designed to work. I've been following your progress. I also have a permagreen that is running a few oz. light. Just a little. It has a new pump and have not checked generator or the nozzles. For now I'll just monitor it and try to work within the paramiders of the machine. The few times that I have used it, the machine has done a good job and is doing what I had hoped it would do. Kill weeds, spread fertilizer, keep me from getting all worn out. Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

parameters man, parameters. i just couldnt resist man, sorry

ted putnam
10-04-2011, 08:19 PM
parameters man, parameters. i just couldnt resist man, sorry

:laugh::laugh: You're worse than my wife is around here. She's a Chemistry teacher but you'd think she was an English teacher... everyone has their pet peeves.

gebby
10-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Sorry guys. I think I even used the spell check and it still got by me.Thanks for the clarification. :waving: