PDA

View Full Version : Getting licensed

Travis E
05-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I know that this has probably been asked before but I don't have the time to search through a lot of treads to find out what I want to know.

What is all involved in getting licensed to apply fertilizer. And if it makes a difference...I am located in Ohio.

Thanks

Victor
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
You don't need a license to apply straight fert in Ohio. You do need a license to apply pesticides though. You would need to visit your closest Dept. of Agriculture office and pick up their study packet. After you've studied the materials you've picked up from them, you need to call them back to schedule for testing.

Travis E
05-08-2007, 10:38 PM
You don't need a license to apply straight fert in Ohio. You do need a license to apply pesticides though. You would need to visit your closest Dept. of Agriculture office and pick up their study packet. After you've studied the materials you've picked up from them, you need to call them back to schedule for testing.

When you say straight fertilizer, you mean any fertilizer right? What about spraying(or granular) for weeds? Do I need a license for that? Also, my dad has been using Liquid 28 on our own yard...would this be considered a straight fertilizer? or will I need a license for that?

Sorry for the many questions but i'm new to fertilizing.

indyturf
05-08-2007, 11:03 PM
You don't need a license to apply just fertilizer, no weed control, no pre-m, no insecticide. in Indiana you need to be 18 to get a pesticide license. probably the same in Ohio.

Travis E
05-08-2007, 11:20 PM
in Indiana you need to be 18 to get a pesticide license. probably the same in Ohio.

I'll have to check on that, but I hope it isn't true because I do NOT want to sub it out this year and next year. Thanks

Shades of Green LService
05-08-2007, 11:51 PM
I would def. get licensed. Theres a lot to learn and you don't want to be spraying if you don't know what you're doing. Do your self a favor and learn. You will never regret it.

Victor
05-09-2007, 12:35 AM
When you say straight fertilizer, you mean any fertilizer right? What about spraying(or granular) for weeds? Do I need a license for that? Also, my dad has been using Liquid 28 on our own yard...would this be considered a straight fertilizer? or will I need a license for that?

Sorry for the many questions but I'm new to fertilizing.

If the fertilizer you want to put down in Ohio (whether it's liquid, or granular) doesn't contain any ingredients that are designed to kill anything, or prevent anything from growing (such as preemergent herbicides are) you don't need a license to apply it. Check your PM's Travis. I'll send you my number if you'd like to talk at length about it.