PDA

View Full Version : Im confused!!

clallen03
05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
OK. Im trying to fill 200 gals. I first filled the tank to 140 gals of water. Then I put in fert.

This is were I get confused.

When I add fert the water level moves to close to 160 gals. Now I need to add my 3 way. Should I still use the rate for 140 gals because thats the amount of water I put in the tank? Or should I use the rates now for 160 gals because that is the current water level?

Im just starting to spray and I just want to get this right.

Thanks

Runner
05-07-2007, 10:22 PM
What rate are you spraying at?

indyturf
05-07-2007, 11:01 PM
you want to mix your weed control to the total liquid tank mix. be sure you know how many gallons per k your applying before you mix the weed control.

tremor
05-07-2007, 11:02 PM
We need the amount of water you intend to apply per 1000 sq ft to make this determination.

That said, the total 200 gallons is the entire fill. So if you were adding 2 gallons of liquid chemicals to the mix, the water portion would be 198 gallons. Yes, the fertilizer does dissolve but it still occupies some "space" in the tank however insignificant that might be.

RAlmaroad
05-08-2007, 06:39 AM
Corrie, Baby, Child, forget amt of water in tank. YOU NEED TO CALCULATE TO THE NUMBER OF SQ. FT. of area that you intend to spray. Water is the carrier for the chems or fertilizer. Most guys can spray 1K with 1 gallon of water or a bit more. You could in theory spray 1000 sq. ft. with 1 oz. of product and 200 gallons of water. Might be a bit soggy and drown, leach,runoff, make them grow and everything else that would effect the weeds. Think about what Runner pointed out to you.

clallen03
05-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Im spraying 2 gals a min or 2 gal per K.

RAlmaroad
05-08-2007, 07:52 AM
Im spraying 2 gals a min or 2 gal per K.
Where in Georgia are you? Any old coots like me around you?

Anyway to cut that down to about 1 gal/1000sq.ft? Have you practices with a 4 gal. backpack?
If so, have you checked on dry pavement to see if 1 gal is covering 1000sf of pavement. How are you doing that with a Z? Did you check a 5 gal bucket and time how long it took--in your case 2 1/2 minutes should fill the 5 gal bucket?
Corrie, the intent of the mgf. is to evenly distribute their product at said number of oz. per acre but in our case 1000sq. This is to protect them from lawsuits and other claims. You must have a way of gauging the output of your water that is mixed with the chemicals. After you've done enough spraying and regulating your equipment; you'll get a feel or educated guess of how much water you're putting down on the lawn and with that water you will have a certain amount of product that is evenly distributed.
Maybe Runner or Ric can explain a bit better.

lawnservice
05-08-2007, 07:53 AM
ok
2gal/1000 means you're treating 100,000sf per 200 gal
with an empty tank fill half way with water, add fert, herbicide and anything else then top off with water. when adding product you should be adding enough to cover 100,000sf

so lets say you go out and treat 50000sf. that leaves you with 100gals of mix in your tank at the end of the day and tomorrow you plan on treating 100000sf. now you will add product for 50000sf coverage on top of the 100gal in the tank giving you a full 200 gal mix ready for 100000sf

make sence?

clallen03
05-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your help but Im still a bit confused.

Let me try to ask my question a little different.
Im filling to cover 100,000 sqft of turf at 2 gals per K im going to need 200 gals of water. My fill chart has the rates for 46-0-0 is 217 lbs for this amount of turf. Now I know I dont need to fill the tank to 200 gals then add the chemicals becasue that will make my tank overflow with the weight of a little more then 4 50lb bags of fert.

So I guess Im asking how do you'll fill your tanks? The reason Im asking is becasue your fill chart says you should use 110 oz of 3-way for every 200 gals. But you only put approximately 165 gals of water in the tank and the 4 bags of fert has rasied the water level to 198 gals. Should you use the 165 gal fill rate because that is the amount of water you added? Or should you go with the 200 gal fill rate because that is what your water level is currently at?

This question may sound stupid to you guys that have been doing this for a while, but I think its a legitamate question.
I thank everyone for their help, one day I'll be able to provide the same type of help to someone in a similar situation.

Thanks

clallen03
05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
lawnservice that does make sense. Im just wondering about the water level. I think someone said the water level doesn't matter. So Im under the impression that I just fill the tank half way, add the chemicals at the 100,000 sqft rate, then fill the rest of the tank to the 200 gal mark. Never mind the actual amount of water you use as long as water plus chemicals totals to 200 gal.

Is this what you'll are saying.

lawnservice
05-08-2007, 05:34 PM
lawnservice that does make sense. Im just wondering about the water level. I think someone said the water level doesn't matter. So Im under the impression that I just fill the tank half way, add the chemicals at the 100,000 sqft rate, then fill the rest of the tank to the 200 gal mark. Never mind the actual amount of water you use as long as water plus chemicals totals to 200 gal.

Is this what you'll are saying.

bingo, thats excatly what i was tryin to say

muddstopper
05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Its simple, you add enough chemicals to treat the area you are spraying. The area sprayed will vary according to nozzel size, pressure and the rate of travel. If you havent already, you should consider checking to see just how much plain water your machine is spraying. You can do this by fixing a bucket under the spray nozzels to catch the spray. Run over a measured distance and than check to see how much liquid your bucket contains. This way you will know just how much spray material you are using to cover a given size area. Then adjust your chemicals so that the amount applied matches the area you are covering.

americanlawn
05-08-2007, 08:07 PM
We use 1.1 ounces per 1000 square feet of 3-way in our total fill. That's about 3/8 gallon per acre. We also spray 2 gallons per 1000 square feet.

Not sure what kind of fill system you have???

Bottom line: Once your tank is full (nomatter what's in it), you better have enough herbicide for your 200 gallon "total fill".

We use liquid fert in our spray units. Dry ferts tend to require proper agitation. Hope you have it.

Nice thing about using fert plus herbicide....you probably don't need a spreader/sticker.

We use a "digital meater" when we fill, but you may have to go of your site guage on your 200 gallon tank?

All above and me are trying to help. Good luck.

RigglePLC
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Wait just a minute Clellen,
Do you have paddle agitation? Prepared to take the pump apart if it plugs up with urea? Whose fill chart are you using? Two bags per hundred gallons. That is a heavy shot of nitrogen for only 2 gallons per 1000 sqft. (Three gallons would be better.)The urea is so concentrated it could burn the grass. I suggest using half as much urea. Practice on your own lawn. Double and triple cover small areas to get an idea of how much you can apply without burning the grass. The chance of burn doubles at temps over 80.

Are you using a boom sprayer? Are you using a Chemlawn gun? What nozzle? What pressure? How many gallons per minute?

Also the average spray tech with Chemlawn gun treats at least 2000 sqft per minute. Walking at 3 mph, treating 7 feet wide you will cover 1800 feet per minute.

Be professional. Calibrate. Calibrate again. Don't spray anything except water until you can apply 20 gallons on 10,000 sqft--and do it again--applying between 19 and 21 gallons--every time.

teeca
05-08-2007, 08:51 PM
i use 1.5 - 2.0gal per k applying .5#N per k (1.0# N per k in thr fall), just need to keep moving (but i guess i've been doing it for a few years also).

clallen03
05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Im not saying that is the amount I was going to use. Im just giving examples of some rates.

lawnservice
05-09-2007, 05:42 PM
you guys are asking alot of questions that he has already given the answers to. like he's using a 200gal tank....not a boom or any machine.

just listen to me and ignore the rest :rolleyes:

no, seriously. my response to you and your response back to me shows me you're doin ok

I'm not a fan of 46-0-0 but that wasnt your question. When adding urea to your tank do it with the motor/pump off otherwise the pump will suck in all that urea and clog the pump and suction lines. with the pump off just stir it a bit(a garden hoe does a nice job...urea melts down rather quickly and if you do screw up and add urea with the pump running and everything gets clogged no worries just let it sit overnite in the morning the urea will have desolved)

happy sprayin