PDA

View Full Version : New lawn problemo...ID Please

drumbo
05-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I have been doing lawns for a while now but have run across something I have not seen yet. We have had a good amount of rainfall and I don't know if this plant/fungus has anything to do with that.

I would appreciate any help from you seasoned vets on this and what I might use to treat it. The homeowner's deck is on the second story and when you look out at the lawn it looks like it's polka-dotted. The "dots"/spots appear to be kinda red-tinted and I pulled some of the stuff up and it looks almost like kids spraypainted red spots randomly throughout the yard. I have been using LESCO's 19-0-6 30% PPSCU 0.10% Split Dimension and lately a little Momentum FX2 for spot-treatments---but not on this yard yet as it is very clean overall.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

TurfProSTL
05-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Check out this info on Pink Patch & Red Thread.....

http://iaa.umd.edu/umturf/Diseases/redpink.html

ant
05-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Red Thread

Grandview
05-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Looks like Red Thread. Do a soil test. Make sure P and K levels are good. Also apply a pound of N/1000 every 7-8 weeks during the spring and fall.

RigglePLC
05-08-2007, 09:06 PM
Looks like red thread fungus. It is a killer on some types of ryegrass--particularly if night time temps remain over 75. This lawn should have been seeded with a higher quality ryegrass--something with more disease resistance. Consider Derby X-treme ryegrass.
Do not water at night. Try to water to reduce humidity and leaf wetness--maybe three times per week maximum. Keep nitrogen high.
Fungicide "Compass" is supposed to be great on Red thread. Costs about a hundred dollars an ounce.

Shades of Green LService
05-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Def. Red thread. Saw a lot of it last year. Should go away with your next fert. Like above post said 1 lb of N p/K. It's not a big deal. Should go away w/ proper fert program. Also like Riggs said, Don't water at night. Also during the day. Water less frequently but more heavily. 1" - 1.5 " per week. only in the morning.

turfsolutions
05-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Watch watering practices as mentioned, but even at that there will be areas that are prone to it. Spot treat or blanket treat depending with a good fungicide and do not believe the suggestions that more N will grow it out. The only thing that it will grow out is more brown patch fungus in another month.

Shades of Green LService
05-09-2007, 11:35 PM
An excess of N is not a good idea. Like i said apply 1 pnd of N on your next app ( that is not an excess). I just think for Red Thread 9 out of 10 times will go away after next app. In my personal experience w/ it. Never had a brown patch out break by going this route.

lilmarvin4064
05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
red thread is pretty common in my area. So far I have only applied about 1/2 lb. N / M (a lot of slow). No problems yet in my lawns. I will be applying another 0.6 to 0.75 # in the next week.

turfsolutions
05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't even consider putting down 1 lb. of N per K at this time of year. In sandy parts of Jersey, it may be fine, but in my clay soil a recipe for brown patch disease, which is much worse than red thread, but not as bad as summer patch.

Shades of Green LService
05-10-2007, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't even consider putting down 1 lb. of N per K at this time of year. In sandy parts of Jersey, it may be fine, but in my clay soil a recipe for brown patch disease, which is much worse than red thread, but not as bad as summer patch.

Kelly-
I agree. Here in my area we have mostly sandy soil and have done it this way for a while now. w/ no Patch fungus as of yet. Clay soils can be quite a headache at times. Will be hitting the prone disease lawns w/ a preventative soon.
BTW- i know you said you found a dealer near you that sells organic/based fert. have you tried it out yet? How's the results?

Neal Wolbert
05-11-2007, 12:19 AM
If R.T. persists with adequate N in place, try Cleary's Endorse, a systemic fungicide. Applied before infection it does an excellent job preventing the disease. There have been seasons in the Northwest where R.T. was a problem even with adequate nutrient levels. If that happens again, it's Endorse to the rescue. Chronic problem lawns should be treated at least twice to slam the bugger to the mat (14 day intervals). Brown Patch is on the label too.

Neal