PDA

View Full Version : stihl trimmer trouble

bamacutter
05-08-2007, 01:29 AM
ive got a trimmer that runs great for about 15 mins then shuts off. i have to wait 5-10 mins before it will start again and then it shuts off after other 15 mins of use. Anyone got any suggestions on what is causing this?

Stinchcomb Lawn
05-08-2007, 01:50 AM
The problem is it's a stihl. Stihl on the truck because it stihl won't start. Get something that will start so you can use it !! been there I know how it feels.

topsites
05-08-2007, 01:55 AM
Replace air filter and spark plug, clean out any debris in muffler, perhaps replace if dirty inline fuel filter, do a compression test. If all that checks out, look for fuel leaks and bad connections / loose wires, then clean out carb real good with some carb cleaner, next I would suspect the ignition coil but you'll need a spark tester.

It could be any of that, but if it runs until hot then it might be the coil... I'd check that choke valve also, you're not per chance leaving the choke on are you? Seriously thou, check make sure it opens.

Runner
05-08-2007, 02:29 AM
I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that it is your gas cap. It is not venting properly and causing a vacuum. When it does this, loosen it, put it back on, and give it a few pulls. It will fire right back up. They put the wrong types on these all the time.

Roger
05-08-2007, 07:28 AM
It could be the ignition module is failing. It is getting hot, then failing to work properly. The cool-down will allow it to resume working, then it fails again when getting hot.

The above ideas are also good places to start looking for the problem.

ed2hess
05-08-2007, 07:48 PM
It could be the ignition module is failing. It is getting hot, then failing to work properly. The cool-down will allow it to resume working, then it fails again when getting hot.

The above ideas are also good places to start looking for the problem.

You can usually nail a bad coil problem by measuring the resistance cold and then when it fails immediately measure the resistance again...obviously an open won't give spark....this is sure fire but usually works.

Andyshine77
05-08-2007, 08:29 PM
1. It could be running lean and over heating. If this has happened the top end could be gone.

2. Check compression, the top end could be bad, when it heats up you start losing compression.

3. Bad coil. When it gets hot it cuts out.

Jay74
05-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Stihl has a problem that can be traced straight to their Zama carb. A Stihl with a Walbro is a whole different machine - it will actually start!