PDA

View Full Version : Rain and Equipment?

Babbages01
05-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Seeing as we haven't seen much rain in the past several years, it's odd for me to even bring this question up, but it's been raining at least one day a week for the past two months...

I don't go out and mow in rain except when it's a very light sprinkle because I don't want the yard to look bad, but will rain hurt my equipment? I covered it with a tarp last week before I started driving and today it started raining harder on the way home.

Anyways, will rain do any damage to equipment either when running or not?

lawnmaniac883
05-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Most likely rain will not damage your equipment. The possible hazards are gonna be water in fuel, wet air cleaners, and water potentially getting into your bearings. I mow in the rain when I have to. Dont be afraid to let your equipment take a soaking its not going to hurt anything. My stuff has been in torrential downpours before and still runs like new.

gene gls
05-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Seeing as we haven't seen much rain in the past several years, it's odd for me to even bring this question up, but it's been raining at least one day a week for the past two months...

I don't go out and mow in rain except when it's a very light sprinkle because I don't want the yard to look bad, but will rain hurt my equipment? I covered it with a tarp last week before I started driving and today it started raining harder on the way home.

Anyways, will rain do any damage to equipment either when running or not?

Water is not good for any mower, especially from a power washer.

T.E.
05-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Water is not good for any mower, especially from a power washer.

I find this odd. when I bought my first Z rider the dealer told me to take it to a car wash to keep it clean! I clean mine from time to time with a pressurized hose and never any problems. Latet, Tony

Greenguy1
05-09-2007, 07:47 AM
I have been telling my employees not to use the pressure washer because of water intrusion and finally proved it to them! they had just power washed them and I noted that one of the spindles on the Z was a little noisey, so we pulled the pulley seal and bearings and the grease was pink with water, (the grease we use is red) they now believe me, the pressure overcomes the seal and drives dirt and water in any where it can. As for rain water? it won't hurt much, it may be a good idea to use a light oil in the switch if it faces up like most ignition switches do.

Lawn_Boy
05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
If you maintain yards weekly, there is just no escaping ocassionally getting your equipment rained on. From my experience, it does not hurt anything...just be careful, use good judgement, keep up on equipment maintence, etc.

I personally do not like mowing in pouring down rain, but thats just me. If you do not either and you do not want your stuff getting soaked, maybe throw a tarp on like you mentioned, or try to find temporary shelter.