PDA

View Full Version : Who actually makes Lesco brand walk-behinds?

landcruiser
05-08-2007, 05:42 PM
I looking to buy a Lesco brand 60" walk behind w/21hp Kawasaki. Who actually makes these units for Lesco and are they any good?

John Gamba
05-08-2007, 06:00 PM
I looking to buy a Lesco brand 60" walk behind w/21hp Kawasaki. Who actually makes these units for Lesco and are they any good?

60 with a 21 sounds like bob cat???

John Gamba
05-08-2007, 06:14 PM

Can you post a pic of this mower.

Mowingman
05-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Cub Cadet Commercial/MTD has been making all the Lesco mowers for quite some time. That arraingement is about to come to an end I believe. You are probably looking at a Cub Commercial machine in Lesco green paint.

lawnboy dan
05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
i urge you to reconsider -buying a lesco with its future uncertain is shear folly.

John Gamba
05-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Cub Cadet Commercial/MTD has been making all the Lesco mowers for quite some time. That arraingement is about to come to an end I believe. You are probably looking at a Cub Commercial machine in Lesco green paint.

Mowingman

A walk behind 21hp 60" deck??? I just looked and bob cat discontinued the 61" 21kaw hydro walk. Who else has a 21 60 walk??

fargoboy
05-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Lesco made their own stuff for many years in Florida using Scag designs. They then formed a joint venture with MTD called CTP(commercial turf products) and moved the plant to Strongville Ohio when they couldn't manufacture stuff fast enough in Florida. Lesco opted out of the relationship and now they buy machines from anyone. Expect they will only sell john deere in the future. John Deere will now have access to the Lesco spreader and Chemlawn gun and the orginal scag designs.

CRF500
05-08-2007, 08:42 PM
If it is one of the big green floaters I have heard less than stellar reviews and I do not believe there are very many in excistance so parts may be hard to find.

The great thing about Lesco mowers is you can get them used for next to nothing, you weigh it out.

bigtex
05-08-2007, 08:56 PM
I Got A 32 Lesco With A 14 Kawi With 400hrs On It And It Runs Fine, Always Has Since New. Not The Best All Around Performing Wb But Like The Last Guy Said You Can Get Them Cheaper$ Than Any Other Ones.

lifetree
05-08-2007, 09:15 PM

This is correct, MTD/Cub Cadet sells their mowers to Lesco ... the Lesco rep here on Lawnsite confirmed that in another thread not too long ago.

wriken
05-08-2007, 09:45 PM
I never heard of a lesco, 60" w/b, heard of a 54". I have a 52, or a 54", can't remember, is in the shop. But I have'nt been to lesco's website for awhile

Mowingman
05-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Parts for Lesco mowers should be easy to get for many years. They are the same parts as used on Cub Commercial machines. Any cub dealer should be able to get you parts for your Lesco mowers.

John Gamba
05-09-2007, 06:22 AM
I never heard of a lesco, 60" w/b,

This is my point:confused:

CRF500
05-09-2007, 06:42 AM
LESCO HAS MADE all kinds of crap, some parts for some of their mowers could be real hard to find. MTD did not make all the products they have sold.

Mowingman
05-09-2007, 08:26 AM
MTD made all the mowers sold at Lesco for the last several years. They also make the powered Fertilizer spreader.

Superbrock
05-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Lesco w/b mowers are actually the best Lesco mowers. Lesco buys these mowers from CTP (Commercial Turf Products) who also manufactures Cub Cadet and MTD. As long as you are not buying the black Lesco hydro w/b you will be fine.

CRF500
05-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Lesco w/b mowers are actually the best Lesco mowers. Lesco buys these mowers from CTP (Commercial Turf Products) who also manufactures Cub Cadet and MTD. As long as you are not buying the black Lesco hydro w/b you will be fine. Look the Z2 and tank are the finest mower's made by Lesco and probably the finest mower's ever made and what is wrong with the black walk behind? According to Envy it is a fine piece of machinery and he knows his mowers!

It uses the tank deck which is the example for all other companies to follow on deck design and it uses a world class hydro system as well that is used on other WB by other manufactures according to him.

So before you type on your key's you better know what you are talking about!

fargoboy
05-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I disagree with CRF previous post. Lesco has totally supported their machines over the years. Parts are always available. The problem has been that the local reps don't want to be bothered with trying to support them. It is easier to sell you a new one than to do all the steps required to get you a part. If you have a problem with a Lesco unit that the local guys don't seem to care about, call Lesco hqs and ask for the Technical Services department and give them the problem. Granted, it won't be an instaneous fix but they will solve it to your satisfaction. Be patient, there was only two of them the last time I checked, for the whole country. Do this with Exmark, Scag, BobCat and they will always refer you back to the distributor or dealer. I will say that there is some poorly designed Lesco units but they have always supported them

wriken
05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I disagree with CRF previous post. Lesco has totally supported their machines over the years. Parts are always available. The problem has been that the local reps don't want to be bothered with trying to support them. It is easier to sell you a new one than to do all the steps required to get you a part. If you have a problem with a Lesco unit that the local guys don't seem to care about, call Lesco hqs and ask for the Technical Services department and give them the problem. Granted, it won't be an instaneous fix but they will solve it to your satisfaction. Be patient, there was only two of them the last time I checked, for the whole country. Do this with Exmark, Scag, BobCat and they will always refer you back to the distributor or dealer. I will say that there is some poorly designed Lesco units but they have always supported them

Every manufacture has a slug once in a while. I believe the hydro's on the black w/b are weak, correct me if I'm wrong.

thistle327
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I have to disagree with you here. I emailed a question to Bunton (Bob Cat) and I received a detailed response within minutes.

CRF500
05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Lesco is a joke for equipment!,they are good for what this guy is trying to do buy a mowing unit for 10 Cents on the $ and he will probably get it because most people know Lesco is a joke.

I have ordered parts from them and then weeks later they are not there, as a equipment supply service house they are 2nd rate.

I buy chemicals from them and use their spreaders and I do like them they just have limitations for commercial operators on their equipment.

When I say parts are ? able with the old green Floater I mean they are hard to find used. The mower was not sold in big quantities and if you have got to buy new parts it runs up a bill fast on a mediocre product.

Lesco equipment is for amatuer's and I am not stating I am a professional but I am beyond buying Lesco equipment unless it is 5 to 50 cent's on the $ :laugh:

mini14
05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
i wouldn't buy a lesco tank if u paid me too...look at the overcomplicated pully/blade tensioner design versus a scag ferris or exmark a..a lesco wb no prob..as far as im concerned they are all pretty much the same..most lesco parts will interchange with scag, same thing with ferris wb's

dcondon
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Now come on Marc, thats not very nice since we run all TANKS/lesco's:laugh: :laugh:

lifetree
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I can tell you that last year when I went to the local Lesco dealer to look at the ZTR's, they couldn't let me try out a "new unit" because they had taken parts off of it to service a unit that had been brought in for repair ... I couldn't believe it, they actually caniballized a new ZTR unit to an extent just so they could get parts ... needless to say, I bought another brand.

wriken
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I can tell you that last year when I went to the local Lesco dealer to look at the ZTR's, they couldn't let me try out a "new unit" because they had taken parts off of it to service a unit that had been brought in for repair ... I couldn't believe it, they actually caniballized a new ZTR unit to an extent just so they could get parts ... needless to say, I bought another brand.

Thats the exact reason, I got sold on my dealer, he had a front spindle off a showroom floor model. Told me a pro cutter needed a part ASAP. I'm soo happy it was a cub tank dealer.:)

landcruiser
05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
mini14, are you saying the Lesco walk-behinds are ok in your opinion but you wouldn't buy a Lesco "tank" (meaning a Lesco ZTR)? I'm still very confused on who makes the Lesco wb's and where I can get parts. Seems most here say its a MTD unit but I called a Cub Cadet dealer in my area today that has been a Cub dealer for years and he said MTD didn't make them, never did and he can't get parts. What gives. I called another dealer (deals Toro and many others) said he couldn't get parts either. All I know is this unit I'm looking at says Lesco 60 Commercial on it and it's a light green color with a 21hp Kawa on it and it's about 3-4 years old. By the way, I am 1.5-2 hours from a Lesco dealer so that's why I'm looking for other sources. Any comments or clarification on who makes these units for sure?