PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Red Max 2 stroke Oil

jmkr02
05-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Has anyone had problems with using redmax oil? I have used opti for the last 10 years and tried this redmax oil because a local didn't have opti in 2.5 gallon mix pouches. So they sold me red max and within a week I lost a trimmer. I thought it was old so thought nothing of it. The next week my redmax backpack dies. I think it's the oil. The equipment dieing is in the amount of use it getting. I fear my other equip is going to start to crap out. Anyone herd of any problems? When I tore down the wacker It seemed dry to what it usually is when Tear it down and inspect it. I took it to the dealer that sold me this crap, but I don't know what is going to happen.

pugs
05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
What ratio were you mixing it at?

TPLawnPro
05-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Stick with your Opti.

I have been using it for 13 years. Not that this is your particular situation, but I know that the manufacturers prefer that you use their brand of oil because they claim it is best for their machines. I say it's all a crock!

Opti-2 is all I have ever used in my 2-cycle equipment.
It have been running it through Stihl, RedMax, Shindaiwa, and Maruyama equipment all of these years. Zero complaints.

jmkr02
05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
What ratio were you mixing it at?

The ratio I use is 50:1

Andyshine77
05-09-2007, 01:49 AM
I don't know much about Redmax oil, but I doubt the oil caused the failures. As long as the oil is mixed properly I see very few oil related failures these days. Bad pump gas can however be an issue.

Your trimmer and blower probably had problems before you started using the Redmax oil, but losing both of them at almost the same time is odd.:confused:

My guess is you had an air leak, or they were running to lean, but I highly doubt it was the oil.

I know many people like Opti-2 and that is fine, I however don't care for it, it's not a modern synthetic like Maxima K2, Mobil T2 or Stihls new HP Ultra, even Amsoil is better than Opti-2.

jmkr02 good luck, I hope you find out the cause of the failures.

Andy.

khouse
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
When I bought my Redmax trimmer (10 years ago) it came with a 6 pack of oil. I used it because it was free. I han no problems at all. Then I changed it over to Amsoil that I've been using since the late 70's. I run the Amsoil at 80 to 1 with no problems. The Redmax 2300's been running fine since 1997.
Unless someone mixed your oil wrong I don't see how your oil was the problem.