PDA

View Full Version : No more blow out

jnjnlc
08-10-2001, 08:52 PM
Well guys and gals. I have posted in the past that I hate how my mower blows out debris from the front of the deck. Well I have fixed it. I mowed all day today and no dust or grass blew out the front and back into my face. Man am I happy about it.

I took a piece of sheet metal and bolted it to the bottom of my deck. I have the Toro SFS deck so there is about six inches between the front of the deck and the left two blades. That is were the most blow out occurs. On the front edge of my deck there is a flat horizontal piece of metal. That is where I bolted my metal. I made sure that the metal under the deck was well away from the blades. I cut the front of the sheet metal to the shape of the deck leaving it a little large so I could bend it up and around the front edge of the deck. This would help eliminate it getting snagged on something. I used locking nuts to ensure security.

I plan on taking some pictures this weekend. I will post them when I do.

SLS
08-10-2001, 09:22 PM
Cool Idea! :D

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Be sure to let us know how it holds up under use.

bubble boy
08-10-2001, 10:39 PM
i fixed my prob too.

just took 100+ degree weather, no rain, blistering sunshine and applied 5 weeks in a row.

nothing blows out my mower but air now.

Mark
08-10-2001, 10:49 PM
Those Z-Master SFS decks should have come with a blowout plate already on the machine. Thats what i run and have never had any problem of grass blowing on me. Unless the wind is gusting 20 to 30mph. I did notice at the Expo that the 2002s decks are beefed up about the same as the Exmarks. Plus the front caster tires are alot bigger,so are the drive tires,and you get the jack to boot. Marks Mowing Service

geogunn
08-10-2001, 11:24 PM
blowout can be a problem. I get it on the ole LESCO and so do alot of other people I think. but it never blows back in my face. it only blows back on to the deck.

now as I discharge into the wind with the high lifts ...I EAT HAY!

I don't see how you fixed it with out lowering the deck which would make it more likeky to snag an iron pin or other obstruction.

please post the pics as you can. thanks.

GEO

slabpile
08-11-2001, 05:36 AM
Have you checked with your dealer? after i got my z master my dealer asked one day when I was in there if i had any blowout problems. I dont but he said that there is a pully that is too large or too small, cant remeber. He said the factory made an oops. I'll ask again if you need me too

edward hedrick
08-11-2001, 09:53 PM
I had a toro 44 had similiar problem, in the Toro parts book there
is a plate available that fits on the left side of the deck. Its used
to improve air flow out the chute. :p

leaflawnandlimb
08-11-2001, 11:16 PM
I also had blow-out problems with Toros, fixed it by buying Exmarks.

Evan528
08-12-2001, 10:42 AM
Never had aq problem with blow out on my toro at all! Like Mark said above, toro has blowout plates standard on the 62inch deck!

Got Grass?
08-12-2001, 08:46 PM
Kinda same thing. Seems to be a problem on the Lesco's when bagging. Used a few difrent walkbehinds with same problem. The catcher dosnt seem to meet up with the deck properly and causes a lot of blowout between deck/bag and under bag. Especially bad in fall when dealing with leaves and twigs. Is there any easy/cheep way to stop this? I hate having to wear safty glases on a sulky. and may have to start wearing a dust mask. Has anyone worn a mask when mowing? If the weather keeps up like this I'll be doing fall cleanups in a couple weeks. So Little water the trees are even droping.

crazygator
08-12-2001, 09:14 PM
Jeff, Good to hear you got things fixed. Let us know how it goes. As far as a mask, I have allergies so at times (when I forget to get my shots) I have to wear one. It sucks, but better than inhaling all that crap and suffering big time. Oh yeah, it can fog your glasses too, but you do what you have to.

Got Grass?
08-12-2001, 09:16 PM
Masks look really bad I think and customers might wonder what's going on, so does anyone know of a mask maker that is anything other then that surgical white type ones?