PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Job we did today.

tjsquickcuts
05-08-2007, 10:33 PM
I little something me and my crew did today. I will get better and brighter photos in the morning, when we go lay the pinestraw(which is a whole different story...Ga guys, we might have a problem) around the back of the lawn. I will also get pics of the other half ass jobs next door and across the street as a example of you guys not to do....Before pics first.....

tjsquickcuts
05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Early this morning, before we pulled out of the stable....

tjsquickcuts
05-08-2007, 10:43 PM
After....the bed edging is pretty good, nice thick layer of Brown Mulch......A few flower beds, with Verbenas, petunas, coleus, marigold, and Celosia and a few more that I am too tired to even think about right now. This was after a 26 lawn day for my crew, plus one. Me and one of my other guys did all the prep work, and had a nice loooong lunch before everybody else got there to help push mulch and plant flowers.

tjsquickcuts
05-08-2007, 10:50 PM
More after pics.....

DeepMudRancher
05-08-2007, 11:02 PM
That looks awesome....did u say you were going to lay pinestraw over that?!?!?! Why would you cover up that nice mulch?

TriPLandscaping
05-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Wow very nice. Looks great.

bahamamills
05-08-2007, 11:25 PM
That mulch alone make it looks 10 times better than the pine straw............

Focal Point Landscapes
05-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Great job - neat and precise . Its just personal preference , but I prefer to 'bunch' the annuals in a mulched bed rather than a line or circle of plants . What about pine straw - are you referring to the shortage ?

tjsquickcuts
05-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys....Nooo the pine straw is going in the back yard....all the way in the back where the property borders the woods....Well the only reason I lined and circled was because of the plants growth rate. I will snap some more pics in about a month, once everything has starting the grow. But yeah, with the wild fire in South Ga, and the drought, I am hearing rumors of a Pine straw panic down the line. My straw guy said that he thinks we will be okay, but you never know. Man, we are on a roll, and because we edge the beds, our jobs look 10 times better and I am sure my referral rate is much greater. We have about 25 mulch and Flower combos to do between now and the end of this month. Oh, by the way, it was 8 yards exact, but we piled it on tough. Could have used 6 yards, and had it skimped in some places, but would rather have it last then half ass it.

David Hartzog
05-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Can I ask a question? (BTW everything looks great!) Why does that house have a sign out front that says "Private Residence?"

tjsquickcuts
05-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Can I ask a question? (BTW everything looks great!) Why does that house have a sign out front that says "Private Residence?"

Because they are still building, and its so that people looking for a new home dont go trying to walk into a sold home. They are building at least 7 homes across the street from where I was, so I am sure I will be doing a lot more installs before the year is over. But its just to let people know that someone already owns that home.

sheshovel
05-09-2007, 01:12 AM
You best pull the mulch away from the bases of those trees and shrubs. Anything looks better of course with mulch and flowers added. Nice neat work, though not what I would call exactly "landscaping".

Dirty Water
05-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Ditto, I came in here to tell you to pull the mulch off the crown of the tree's.

Also, try to show some more creativity with your annual plantings.

tjsquickcuts
05-09-2007, 01:22 AM
You best pull the mulch away from the bases of those trees and shrubs. Anything looks better of course with mulch and flowers added. Nice neat work, though not what I would call exactly "landscaping".

You sure can steal a mans thunder......sorry...guess I should have said mulch install...will post pics of a real Landscape job on saturday, have a nice job that I am excited about that we start tomorrow.

tjsquickcuts
05-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Is it just a old myth, or truth to mulch around the trees....Just curious....because I have seen just about 95% of the LCO here in my area covering the trees, shrubs, flowers, etc.....Just curious....I am always open to learn more then I knew the day before...

David Hartzog
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
Because they are still building, and its so that people looking for a new home dont go trying to walk into a sold home. They are building at least 7 homes across the street from where I was, so I am sure I will be doing a lot more installs before the year is over. But its just to let people know that someone already owns that home.

Ok. i'd thought that after i asked. man, i'm glad cause if they were just announcing it like that i thought...(well, i dont know what i thought...ha, ha...not a first)...that was just weird. makes sense now. we dont have much cause for signs like that in my neck of the woods. although a new development is slloowwlly going in across the road from my house. they have about 3 or 4 model homes going up...they've got the landscaping about finished up around the common areas and i need to get up with the powers that be to bid the upkeep. at least i know not to walk into a house with a sign like that! :hammerhead:

tjsquickcuts
05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Here are the picks of where we put the pine straw down. Had to use two different suppliers, and one of the suppliers sucked a$$......but I was in need so I worked with it. It took about 60 bales.

tat900
05-10-2007, 09:02 PM

Why wouldnt you ? Wasint that a lil bit harsh . Looks like some great landscaping .

Ultimatelawncareinc
05-12-2007, 11:23 PM
what is the reason for pulling the mulch away from the base of the tree? I always do it but never knew the true meaning for it. i

THEGOLDPRO
05-12-2007, 11:30 PM
what is the reason for pulling the mulch away from the base of the tree? I always do it but never knew the true meaning for it. i

it will rot the tree, and kill it.

PerfectEarth
05-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Amazing that "landscapers" do not know this most basic rule concerning mulching around tree/shrub bases- you see this everyday and it's horrible. You do not pile mulch around plant bases because moisture (primarily) and insects are prone to cause much damage this area. Find a tree that has been piled-on with much, pull the material away, and you'll see the moisture problem at the base.

tjsquickcuts
05-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Amazing that "landscapers" do not know this most basic rule concerning mulching around tree/shrub bases- you see this everyday and it's horrible. You do not pile mulch around plant bases because moisture (primarily) and insects are prone to cause much damage this area. Find a tree that has been piled-on with much, pull the material away, and you'll see the moisture problem at the base.

But think about all the trees that are in the woods and what happens the the leaves year after year after year after year.......They all fall to the ground, become mulch and the trees seem to grow while your looking at them without a problems. I dont pile on around trees, just a lite sprinkle around them. JMO, but I am sure some agree and some disagree. This works for me.....

LawnJohn
05-12-2007, 11:46 PM
What part of town was this house in? That subdivision looks VERY familiar!

Nice Job on the plants!

John..

Lawnworks
05-13-2007, 12:18 AM
There won't be a moisture problem down here... no rain for over a month.

tjsquickcuts
05-13-2007, 01:51 AM
This house is off the Est-Wst Conn. in a new Neighborhood Called Barnes Mill.
Lawnworks, you are right on the money, but we just got rained two days in a row, and a 20% chance tomorrow.

Lawnworks
05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
This house is off the Est-Wst Conn. in a new Neighborhood Called Barnes Mill.
Lawnworks, you are right on the money, but we just got rained two days in a row, and a 20% chance tomorrow.

Wow I am about 90 miles south of you and the only rain we have had in a month was yesterday for about 10 minutes.

tjsquickcuts
05-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Man, its been bad.....I was so glad that we got what we got the last two days. It rained really good yesterday....I am sure my lawns are all in such a good mood today lol.....Where are you located?

ed2hess
05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Great job - neat and precise . Its just personal preference , but I prefer to 'bunch' the annuals in a mulched bed rather than a line or circle of plants . What about pine straw - are you referring to the shortage ?

I agree on the point of putting flowers in seperate beds and put a lot of them so it is more pronounced. And the buildup around trees simply keeps oxygen from getting to the new roots.....Landscape looks good especially the idea for the shapes.

sheshovel
05-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Why wouldnt you ? Wasint that a lil bit harsh . Looks like some great landscaping .

If he had done the whole install from start to finish then THAT would be "landscaping" he did a mulch job and planted some flats of flowers, that is not "landscaping". No not harsh at all it is simply truth.

LawnJohn
05-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I knew those homes looked familiar!.. I live in Austell. And know that subdivision well....never did any work there though..

Seems, the model homes and the pool/tennis areas were the only things carefully planned. Everything else was thrown in and mounds of pine straw around it..

Awesome job man!

tat900
05-14-2007, 10:52 AM
If he had done the whole install from start to finish then THAT would be "landscaping" he did a mulch job and planted some flats of flowers, that is not "landscaping". No not harsh at all it is simply truth.

Landscaping or not he did a great job and he is proud of his work and should be and does it really matter either way ? There is no reason to try to make him feel bad let him have his moment .

BPLS1993
05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
WOW that looks great nice job

sheshovel
05-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Landscaping or not he did a great job and he is proud of his work and should be and does it really matter either way ? There is no reason to try to make him feel bad let him have his moment .

I did not try to make him feel bad. Not at all. and in that post I was addressing someone else.

cgaengineer
05-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Looks really good tjs...hopefully we will get at least one day of rain per week in June to prepare ourselves for the beautiful summers we have here in GA (You know...the nice cool days, rain showers everyday, low humidity...sheesh...who am I kidding!)

LawnJohn
05-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Looks really good tjs...hopefully we will get at least one day of rain per week in June to prepare ourselves for the beautiful summers we have here in GA (You know...the nice cool days, rain showers everyday, low humidity...sheesh...who am I kidding!)

Ain't that the truth! :laugh:

I'm digging the cool mornings though...The weather hasn't been like this since I was a kid.

cgaengineer
05-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah, some mornings I have been out in my yard watering with a jacket on...some of the heaviest dews I have ever seen too!

tjsquickcuts
05-15-2007, 10:50 PM
I have just been loving the early start I have been able to get. With the SUN up at 7am, we are on our first lawn by 8am.

But I just hope we start to get a little more rain. I got a good rain on both Friday and Saturday, and hopefully again tomorrow. But from the looks at the long range forecast, after tomorrow, no rain for about 10 days.

Ramairfreak98ss
05-16-2007, 09:23 PM
did you put in the large trees too? Im thinking you must have a good group of guys to start from scratch and get all that done in one day lol. Id be out there for 4+ days doing sections at a time.

fga
05-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Nice job.

the one thing I don't like is the arbs on either side of the entrance. Would have put something nicer to look at, and not grow so tall that it completely blocks that window.

Harley-D
05-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Looks about 200% better. Just a little suggestion but ever thought about watering everything down before taking the pics? I know that it can make hardscape jump out of the photo at you but i think the same goes for mulch and flowers too.

Looks great regardless.