PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Problems

Michael.Sammons
05-08-2007, 11:10 PM
:cry: Help, I need a list of what to check for the following problem.

I have a Craftsman LT 1000 with a 17 horse Briggs and Stratton Engine and Auto trans.

I have encountered the following problem the last two times I mowed. After mowing about 1 hour, the engine starts sputtering and then dies. I know the mower has been neglected this year. After sitting for about 30 minutes, the mower will restart and run another hour before the same symptoms return.
I plan on replacing the plug, air filter and fuel filter as a start. But could the problem, as it starts and runs fine for a while, be more serious? The mower is about 5 or more years old. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Restrorob
05-08-2007, 11:21 PM
First Welcome to LawnSite !

I would suggest hanging on to the old plug, If what you plan on doing doesn't fix the problem then when it dies have the old plug handy. Remove the plug wire and install the old plug then hold it firmly against the head and have someone turn the engine over watching the plug for a nice blue spark.

If there is no spark the coil is heating up and shorting out to which it needs to be replaced.

Michael.Sammons
05-08-2007, 11:30 PM
The last time it died, I thought the plug may have fouled/flooded and I pulled it. I could see when cranking there was decent spark. I don't know if it may have been flooded as the plug was dry. But it did blow fuel out of the cylinder and once I replaced the plug, it fired right up. It may have been down only 20 minutes that time. but I don't know if it was enough to have cooled significantly. Thanks for the help.

Bill Kapaun
05-09-2007, 04:20 AM
"I plan on replacing the plug, air filter and fuel filter as a start."

I think that's probably a good thing to do. call it "maintenance".
I wouldn't get too concerned yet, unless those parts don't fix the problem.
A fuel filter might be on the ragged edge of being clogged.

Michael.Sammons
05-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I changed all the filters and the plug. Now it sputters from the first time I fired it up and runs only on full choke. It won't stay running when I put the throttle where its supposed to be.

Restrorob
05-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Sounds like trash/water in the carb....

Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then re-assemble.

Check your fuel tank for trash/water also.