PDA

View Full Version : Belt drive or Hydro?

jnjnlc
08-10-2001, 10:13 PM
I did a search on the above and I did not find what I was looking for.

I am soon going to be in the market for a 36" WB. Why? I currently use a Crapsman 33" WB. I only use it a few times a week. I have a Toro ZTR for all of the other lawns. I need the 36" to get in those back yards with small gates. I also know that the Crapsman is homeowner unit, and even though it has been good to me so far it will eventually crap out on me.

I recently demonstrated the Encore and Toro Belt drives. I like the Toro better because of the controls. I did not like the Encore because you have to engage the clutch to change gears. However, I like the fact that the Encore is smaller. What to do? What to do? I am not going to limit myself to just these two manufacturers. I plan on demoing them all or as many as I can.

For you belt drive owners: On the belt drive how do you keep from tearing up the turf when you do a 180 degree turn or a 90 for that fact? Every time I did one my inside tire drug. I know what this will do to the turf. With a hydro I could reverse the inside tire to eliminate this problem.

I want the hydro but I want to make sure I can justify the extra cost no more than I use it.

Now that I have writerís cramp and bored you all to death with my mindless muttering, thanks in advance for you input.

lawrence stone
08-10-2001, 10:22 PM
You need a 32 not a 36".

IMHO a new 32 toro with a exmark deck and mulch kit and metal bagger is the best all around "little" mower.

But a used single blade toro with bagger and a 12hp kohler for under $900 is worth a look.

Chopper Lover
08-10-2001, 10:40 PM
When making a hard turn I just pull the inside handle back toward me. By pulling the handle back the inside tire rolls backwards which in turn keeps the inside tire from being "still" and tearing the turf. With a little practice it becomes a natural movement.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Mark

geogunn
08-11-2001, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by jnjnlc

For you belt drive owners: On the belt drive how do you keep from tearing up the turf when you do a 180 degree turn or a 90 for that fact? Every time I did one my inside tire drug. I know what this will do to the turf. With a hydro I could reverse the inside tire to eliminate this problem.

WHAAAT???

to turn with a belt drive you simply squeeze the clutch handle on the inside of the turn and then, as you slow, gently, jake down on the brake. you'll whip a 180 and no turf torn!

now if you are going full tilt boogie and jake the brake handle to turn, you are gonna tear turf bigtime!!! and so will you with a hydro!

GEO