PDA

View Full Version : Mole control?

tjhocraf
05-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I know there are a whole lot of ideas for mole control. My question is which works the best? I have a few clients who try to tell me what to do, but has anyone found a next to perfect solution? So far the best trick I have found is to trap them, but it is TOO time consuming. NEED SOME COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTIONS. Thanks!

drelgan
05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
You have the best solution--just not the time. Maybe you could contact a mole trapper and tell him you will past out his cards in exchange for him doing the same. He gets more business and maybe you the same.

topsites
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
To get rid of pests such as moles, eliminate their food supply, which is to say you'll likely want to get a granular insect and grub killer you can put out with a rotary spreader.

drelgan
05-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Moles also like earthworms which are good for the soil. Not sure about a lot of the chemicals for grubs, but do know that some won't kill earthworms. Therefore, you still have one of the two top choices of moles diet. In talking to one of the grub chemical manufacturers, I found out that the chemical causes grubs to go into a premature molt--therefore killing them.

LeifsLandscaping
05-11-2007, 12:13 PM
There is a product on the market called milkyspore. It is safe alternative to chemicals. It is a bacterium that is a natural predator to the larval stage Jap Beetle. The drawback is, it takes 3-5 years of application for maximum protection. But once established it can last 15-20 years.

americanlawn
06-04-2007, 08:53 PM
According to our land-grant U, about 70% of what moles eat = earthworms. We apply "Sevin" granular in April and get fairly good results. Trapping is the best method (Iowa State University), but most people aren't not very good trappers. Moles are a tough deal. Good luck.

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-04-2007, 10:26 PM
As "redneck" as this might sound, I must hold true to my form. If I notice a property has moles, I just ask the customer if it is ok to bring out my dog. I have a 3 year old black lab and he will chase them off short of an hour. I talked to my vet about this after I noticed he was catching them, and he said that dogs can hear them under the ground. He is the best employee I have, he thinks that work is fun, never talks back and only have to pay him with water, food and some attention. I know it sounds a little crazy, but dont knock it before you try it........

drelgan
06-05-2007, 07:13 AM
How much do you charge your customers for lawn repair after he digs them up?

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-05-2007, 08:07 AM
Mostly,the only place that there will be any visible damage is where the mole tracks have already surfaced so the repair is minimal. I only do this with my full service customers. The most I have ever charged to bring the dog out, and fix the damage that he creates is ~$140..Usually a little sniffing around and known presence is enough for the moles to move out....

drelgan
06-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Usually a little sniffing around and known presence is enough for the moles to move out....
Your kidding--right? Not trying to argue, but as a professional mole trapper--I know better. I can't disagree on the dog being able to catch some but that last statement blew my mind!

tjhocraf
06-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Okay dogs are great! but hunting moles? I don't know? My dog can find pheasents and rabbits for ME to shoot and eat, but moles? I live on a farm and have moles even w/ a dog. I trap and put insecticides dwn. It is more fun to trap but too time consuming. Somebody tell me there is a chemical or something out there.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-09-2007, 11:11 PM
My neighbors beagal has killed 2 moles, but that hasn't helped my yard out.:cry:

supturb89
06-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Usually a little sniffing around and known presence is enough for the moles to move out....
Your kidding--right? Not trying to argue, but as a professional mole trapper--I know better. I can't disagree on the dog being able to catch some but that last statement blew my mind!

If you truly are a professional mole trapper then maybe you can help me out. I have a pretty big mole problem in my yard. In the backyard they make the nice little run through the ground and I have had good success trapping these. In the front they make the volcano like conical mounds and I never really ever see the runs like I do in the back. Is there a good method in dealing with this problem. I have read that these mounds are a sign of a big mole infestation where the moles are deep underground.:confused: any help is greatly appreciated.

I.D.R Lawn Care
06-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Have you tried smoking them out? Put traps on the mound and drop several smoke bombs down the hole. It will chase them out or kill them if they refuse to leave.:gunsfirin

Tim's Lawn Care LLC.
06-18-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't think much of gimmicks but I've been seeing really good results from that "D Cell" cylinder spike you can tell your customers are available at the home improvement stores for about $14 to $20. Shove them up to their tops
and they emmit a high sonic pitch the lil' critters hate and sends them out of their yards to the next. two spikes cover 15,000 sq.ft.

RigglePLC
07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
One of my customers holds the local record for trapping--he claims eleven in one season.

Another of my customers--I was on his lawn last month. I noticed his standard size poodle was chasing something--yup--a mole. He played with it for 15 minutes--letting it go and catching it in his mouth again.

At times I have used baits like Mole Patrol and Talpairid--not sure but I think they work. Dangerous for dogs and pets of course.

americanlawn
07-18-2007, 06:05 PM
We tried Talpirid for two years. Now the leftover Talpirid just sits on the shelf. We even sold it to customers for our cost....even those customers are disappointed. Several customers park their lawn chair next to a "fresh run" during the early afternoon. They wait to see the "earth move" -- then they use a spade or shotgun. This works, but you must stomp down the fresh runs the day before so you can see the little rascals trying to open them back up. While I can trap any pocket gopher easily, I am unable to trap moles with harpoon traps, cuz they just move around these traps.

drelgan
07-23-2007, 07:02 AM
They shouldn't move around them--maybe the tunnel is shallow and your setting too deep. The spears are blocking the run.

McCallum & Sons
07-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Your lucky to be able to trap or use chemicals on moles. In North Carolina it is illegal to trap or poison moles. Removing the food source is the only option. We use Merit. It works well, but I would recommend an application to the entire property not just the area affected. Moles will just find a new food source elsewhere on the property if you don't. Are you sure that you have moles and not voles? Voles are another story. They will make similar runs, but will feed around the trunks of shrubs and trees. Do an apple sign test to determine which you have before wasting your money on treatment options.

PBinWA
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Your lucky to be able to trap or use chemicals on moles. In North Carolina it is illegal to trap or poison moles. Removing the food source is the only option.

So what was the logic behind that? That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard. Are they short on moles down there? I can send you some - we have no shortage up here. :rolleyes:

PBinWA
07-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Forget it - I found out why:

http://wayne.ces.ncsu.edu/index.php?page=news&ci=LAWN+66

When it comes to controlling moles, unfortunately there is not a one-time, cure-all solution. The reason why there is not a good way to control moles is because they are a protected species in North Carolina. Now you maybe wondering why they are protected when it looks like moles have took over your lawn and made them selves at home. There are a couple of mole species in North Carolina. The eastern mole is the species typically making the tunnels in most people’s lawns. The other mole species in North Carolina is the star-nosed mole and is less commonly seen. The mole is a protected species in North Carolina because of the star-nosed moles being less common.

You have my sympathies.

Greenery
07-23-2007, 10:08 PM
We use a product called molexit. Apparently the smell of it drives the moles away. from my experience I have seen good results in some yards and no results in others probably about a 50/50 chance of it working. it is fairly expensive and it is non toxic. It is also very easy and quick to apply just walk through yard applying by hand.

green_mark
07-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Blistering Defense - Works by making the soil and any insect taste terrible.

Contains Garlic oil, Veg oil, and white pepper.

www.FarmCropExtracts.com

nmez21
07-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Blistering Defense - Works by making the soil and any insect taste terrible.

Contains Garlic oil, Veg oil, and white pepper.

www.FarmCropExtracts.com

Does it come in anything smaller than a 5-gallon pail?

grasswhacker
07-24-2007, 11:07 PM
http://www.themoleman.com/

Neal0301
07-26-2007, 12:23 AM
My idea,

Lawnchair
Sunflower Seeds
some Buds
and a 12 Gauge

And sit and wait, you'll get the bugger

americanlawn
07-26-2007, 07:30 PM
My idea,

Lawnchair
Sunflower Seeds
some Buds
and a 12 Gauge

And sit and wait, you'll get the bugger

I like Neal's idea. Yesterday, I visited with a customer with a serious (active)mole problem. She was quoted $450 by a local company to get rid of them. WOW! That's alot of dough. She lives in a neighborhood that is chalk full of these little rascals, so if she pays $450 to get rid of hers, what's to prevent moles coming in from neighboring lawns? Sounds like a rip off to me. BTW her lawn is tiny (only 3000 sq.ft.):waving:

atv220chris
04-09-2008, 01:44 AM
at my house i use a hose and a little 22 with the quiet shells

gro2mow
04-09-2008, 07:41 AM
A few years back I had used Talpirid with not too much luck. Lately in the last three years I have gone to Chase's Mole Control. The main ingredient is caster oil. I'm delighted to say that I am now rid of those pesky little rodents. The product comes in granuals or liquid and needs to be applied every 2-3 months. I use the granuals and spread with a hand spreader.

After the first year I noticed the mole mounds had moved from my front yard to the back. Then I started applying it further into the back yard and I haven't seen them since. I will continue to reapply. For $65 for a 32# bag it well worth it on my two acres. Lasts me about 1.5 years working on about an acre applying 3 times a year.

I have now seen the mole hills appearing in my neighbors lawns lately. I guess they have found more tasty worms and slugs than what's in my yard. At one time I thought I would never get rid of them.