PDA

View Full Version : round up question

jsf343
05-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Hello, quick question... A customer has a garden area that has not been used for a few years filled with weeds, he sprayed it with round up to kill everything. He called today saying some guy wants to rent out his garden space to grow mushrooms and melons of some sort, he wants to know when he can safely till the garden area and plant. I figured a few weeks after tilling and he should be fine but am not 100% sure and told him I would find out. Round up goes through pretty quick doesn't it?

Neal Wolbert
05-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Hello, quick question... A customer has a garden area that has not been used for a few years filled with weeds, he sprayed it with round up to kill everything. He called today saying some guy wants to rent out his garden space to grow mushrooms and melons of some sort, he wants to know when he can safely till the garden area and plant. I figured a few weeks after tilling and he should be fine but am not 100% sure and told him I would find out. Round up goes through pretty quick doesn't it?

A short wait is all that's necessary and that's just to make sure the R.U. gets translocated to the roots of the weeds. 3 days should be ample.

Neal

sheshovel
05-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Everyone says it does. I think it doesn't move so quickly through the soil as the company says it does. However he should be fine renting out the space because round-up only works on live green foliage.

indyturf
05-09-2007, 01:24 AM
I have actually seeded the same day I sprayed Round-up and had no problems. like SheShovel said RU only works on foliage.

jsf343
05-09-2007, 01:29 AM
thanks to each of you. I did some research myself and found that 5 to 7 days is supposed to be adequate.

thanks again!

Runner
05-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Yep. The plant is dead long before the top foliage actually turns brown.

americanlawn
05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
10 to 14 days, and the weeds will be totally dead. I say wait 14 days to make sure >> some perennial grassy weeds like quackgrass may need a 2nd treatment too.