PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping for Narrow Strip

jim1504
05-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I'm wondering if you guys might have some suggestions as to what landscaping might like good in the pictured area. The area is about 30 feet long and 2.5'-3' wide (from the fence to the deck) at its narrowest. I live in the Dallas area. I'm not necessarily looking for landscaping to block the fence. I'm at a loss since the area is so narrow. Thanks for any help!

bahamamills
05-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Well if it were my house I definetely would not want grass there which has to be mowed or trimmed. They will either end up with grass stains on the fence or grass in the pool. I would spray whats there and plant some ornamental grass or flowers.

Dreams To Designs
05-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Perennials, vines on fence or trellis, maybe a narrow growing evergreen or 3 for some year round interest. Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' hollies. Lot's of color to enjoy during the pool use seasons.

Kirk

jim1504
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Great ideas guys!

Dreams to Ideas
I think I'll go with the Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' hollies. Any ideas on placement and/or spacing? Thanks.

grandview (2006)
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
When in doubt add stone.

Dreams To Designs
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Jim, if you'd like. Send me an email and I can forward the a data sheet in PDF format for the Sky Pencils. They can grow from 8" -12" tall and up to about 36" in diameter. I don't believe I have seen one greater than 18" in diameter, but you are in Texas, and we know everything is bigger there. They can be used as a hedge, but better of in groups of three or two and a third used as an exclamation point. They are relatively clean and are very durable.

Kirk

Guzman Properties
05-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Stone sounds the best. People may brush up into bushes and plants while walking around. Leaves and pedals will fall of and may get into the pool.

just my 2 cents

Lite4
05-12-2007, 10:21 PM
I would use a Bamboo with a sealed rootguard. Possibly Phyllostachys a. spectabilis or nigra is a cool one. If you prefer a clumping variety try fargesia nitida "fountain Bamboo". Bamboo is evergreen and gives a patio a tropical feel. Flare the bed out on the end and flank the end with a multitrunked Chamaerops Humilis "Mediteranean fan palm". If possible water everything on a netafim drip. The nature of bamboo leaves is that they are also very translucent. Put 5 or 6 uplights at the bottom of the plants and the foliage with glow all the way up through the canopy a beautiful lime green and the reflective light will help illuminate the pool deck as well.

ribbie78
05-12-2007, 11:21 PM
only problem with stones is they HURT on bare feet...if they get out of their bed

sheshovel
05-13-2007, 12:00 AM
I would not plant anything in that narrow of an area. A few long planting boxes with annual flowers might work. Or planter boxes with vines and trellises.

Lite4
05-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Are you kidding, A lot of beds around houses are 3' wide. That's plenty of room. Besides there are better things to look at than cedar planks.

jim1504
05-15-2007, 08:32 AM
I took a look at your suggestions and that sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the detailed suggestions!

I would use a Bamboo with a sealed rootguard. Possibly Phyllostachys a. spectabilis or nigra is a cool one. If you prefer a clumping variety try fargesia nitida "fountain Bamboo". Bamboo is evergreen and gives a patio a tropical feel. Flare the bed out on the end and flank the end with a multitrunked Chamaerops Humilis "Mediteranean fan palm". If possible water everything on a netafim drip. The nature of bamboo leaves is that they are also very translucent. Put 5 or 6 uplights at the bottom of the plants and the foliage with glow all the way up through the canopy a beautiful lime green and the reflective light will help illuminate the pool deck as well.