PDA

View Full Version : initial investment

TXNSLighting
05-09-2007, 10:56 AM
What was your initial investment getting into the lighting business? Im estimating 5- $10,000. am i way off, or right on?

Thanks!
Ryan

extlights
05-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Depends on what you already have. You don't need a whole lot of tools, but make sure the tools you have are of quality...i.e. drills, bits etc. I will say that we did spend about 3 times your higher number listed in advertising alone our first year.

NightScenes
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
I would say that it would all depend on where your starting from. I was already in business as an electrician so I didn't need a lot to get going in this field. Someone who is either in another field or maybe doesn't have any experience might have to spend more to get going. Myself, I had about $500 in the bank.

TXNSLighting
05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
well i did more pricing today, and ive pretty well uped it to 15-20,000. thats trailer, tools, a good demo kit, some inventory, and a little bit of advertising.. havent figured out yet what kind of advertising i want to do, but of course the trailer will get lettered, and im sure ill do door hangers.

Pro-Scapes
05-10-2007, 01:07 AM
door hangers so far have been the biggest waste of time for us. Mag ad even tho it was 75% off was still a waste altho it does help name recognition.

Going to go with direct mailers. 20k might even be a tad low for trailer tooling marketing and demo kit and inventory.

Do you really NEED the trailer now ? Do you really need an inventory if you have a local dist ? I still dont stock much. I think I have 3 transformers about 5 spools of wire and probably 10 to 20 fixtures laying around. Bulbs are something I stock and worry about having inventory in. Prbably 150 bulbs between my truck and the shelf here.

Work with the demo kit and marketing to start with. Add as needed from there.

Like paul we were already in business as landscapers. We created a seperate company for the lighting which cost a bit more but we started with a few grand in the bank from a quick high profit landscape restore we did.

NightScenes
05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I just got my trailer last year. I went two years without one. It has gotten me a lot of business though. I started very basic, ordered everything and didn't stock anything. Now I order my wire by the truckload and just received a whole pallet of transformers yesterday. I'll go through that stuff in about a month.

It's almost time to order stuff for Christmas!! Here we go again.

Dreams To Designs
05-10-2007, 12:22 PM
But Paul, isn't it nice to have practically everything you need in that trailer on most jobs. So many times I have wished I would have brought this or that, but it's back in the shed.

Kirk

ChampionLS
05-10-2007, 01:25 PM
The trailer is definitely worth it. If you custom order a trailer, go through all the steps and options. It's well worth it.

NightScenes
05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes, it's great having everything for every install at hand. I was just saying that you can start out small and grow.

extlights
05-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Trailers are the way to go. Great for advertising (once lettered) plus they are very inexpensive. We're on our 5th trailer and would never go to a jobsite without one. You definately don't need one to start if you're trying to keep the start up cost down, but for around 3 grand you can't beat it.

TXNSLighting
05-10-2007, 10:44 PM
door hangers so far have been the biggest waste of time for us. Mag ad even tho it was 75% off was still a waste altho it does help name recognition.

Going to go with direct mailers. 20k might even be a tad low for trailer tooling marketing and demo kit and inventory.

Do you really NEED the trailer now ? Do you really need an inventory if you have a local dist ? I still dont stock much. I think I have 3 transformers about 5 spools of wire and probably 10 to 20 fixtures laying around. Bulbs are something I stock and worry about having inventory in. Prbably 150 bulbs between my truck and the shelf here.

Work with the demo kit and marketing to start with. Add as needed from there.

Like paul we were already in business as landscapers. We created a seperate company for the lighting which cost a bit more but we started with a few grand in the bank from a quick high profit landscape restore we did.

Well im going to double use the trailer, so i will go ahead and get it now. inventory i probly wont keep, cuz well your right theres no need yet. and the lights can be shipped to me in a day or two. I am also starting a seperate company so im already with ya there. IM glad to hear you say something about the door hangers, i may still do them, just mybe not as many. i am definately going to do mailers. i really think those are the best. and of course the name down the side of the trailer. I think wire and bulbs and transformers and a few fixtures are going to be the main inventory for obvious reasons, i dont want so much that its just a huge eye sore in the garage. it looks like i will be getting a demo kit consisting of around 22 lights. SO im way excited!

TXNSLighting
05-10-2007, 10:46 PM
But Paul, isn't it nice to have practically everything you need in that trailer on most jobs. So many times I have wished I would have brought this or that, but it's back in the shed.

Kirk

thats the main reason i want to go ahead with it, and ill use it for my mowers when the lawn trailer is full of clean out from landscape jobs.

TXNSLighting
05-10-2007, 10:48 PM
The trailer is definitely worth it. If you custom order a trailer, go through all the steps and options. It's well worth it.

well the one im looking at is black, with the ramp and side door, also lights inside and a bench in the front, i will go ahead and build storage bins o the side, and put trimmer racks in it that are removable. its going to cost around 5200 before tt&l. its a 7x16.

TXNSLighting
05-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Yes, it's great having everything for every install at hand. I was just saying that you can start out small and grow.

IM kinda one of those who wants to go all in or nothing at all and so far (knock on wood) its been the best for me. Ive got a good investor behind me so that helps.