PDA

View Full Version : Using feed urea for fertilizing

amby
05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm new in lawn care and this site, so i've got a lot of questions. We use feed urea to fertilize our fields, and I was told it makes good lawn fertilizer. My question is what rate would a guy put it out at. Its feed urea with 46% nitrogen. I also looking at putting in some iron with that. The liquid form iron that I have found is 5%. Any ideas on what rate I should put this on. Thanks in advance.

Amby

RigglePLC
05-09-2007, 11:24 AM
A soil test would be a good idea. Talk with you local Lesco man or fert dealer to have them set up a program for you.
Details please. How much potash and phosphorus does your soil need? Are you applying it as liquid or dry? Slow release in the mixture would be wise. ?Do you have to mow it? Irrigated? What kind of grass?
Urea can be used up to a pound of nitrogen per 1000 sqft--that is 2.2 pounds of urea--IF--the temperature is below 80. Above that there is potential to burn the grass.
Excess growth is a possibility. Leaching into the ground water is also a risk--urea is all water soluble. Volitilization and loss to the air is also a possibility.

ATVracer
05-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Using urea this time of year is like giving yourself steroids. All it will do is make the grass grow like crazy as it will dissolve quickly and last a short time.

You need to use something with slow release N, and a much lower % of N for a longer release period and controlled growth. Urea is for late fall use.

indyturf
05-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I agree with ATV! are you planning on melting it down and spraying it? its not the cleanest form of urea, your probably going to have corn, rocks or other junk in with the urea. but it would work for a late fall granular application.

heritage
05-09-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm new in lawn care and this site, so i've got a lot of questions. We use feed urea to fertilize our fields, and I was told it makes good lawn fertilizer. My question is what rate would a guy put it out at. Its feed urea with 46% nitrogen. I also looking at putting in some iron with that. The liquid form iron that I have found is 5%. Any ideas on what rate I should put this on. Thanks in advance.

Amby

Feed grade or low biuret urea is the best grade of Urea. How many gallons of H2O per acre or gallons per 1,000 Sq. Ft?

Give these #'s and I will give you the amount of 5% Fe and 46-0-0.

Pete D.

amby
05-09-2007, 06:29 PM
4 gal/1000

heritage
05-09-2007, 06:46 PM
4 gal/1000

25 lbs 46-0-0 and 64 oz. of 5% Fe per 100 Gal H20 Mix for 25,000 Sq. Ft.

Add Urea 1st, then fill up tank to 100 gal, then add Fe.

1/2 lb soluable N and 300 PPM Fe. Should see a nice response in 2-5 days.

If the Fe is not Citrate form, it will stain.......Don't get any spray on foundations or walks and drives.

Don't use this type of spray more than 1X a year......Unless you add the other Macronutrients to the mix.

Pete D.