PDA

View Full Version : Changing Blades

Paul Andrews
08-11-2001, 12:13 PM
It seems like that when you guys talk about changing your blades in the field you act like it only takes minutes to do. If I was to crawl under my mowers when I thought they might be dull, it would take at least an half hour or more to change them and get sharp ones on.

How many sets of blades does everybody carry on their rig ?

Do you change them once a day or every week?

Please give me your input on this issue , it's greatly appreciated.

skipwatson
08-11-2001, 12:27 PM
Change once a day, and it takes 5-7 minutes.

Lee Homan
08-11-2001, 12:50 PM
I was just thinking that same thing. Why can't a mfgr. come up with a better, quicker way to change blades. Maybe some kind of quick disconnect system.

Guido
08-11-2001, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Paul Andrews
It seems like that when you guys talk about changing your blades in the field you act like it only takes minutes to do. If I was to crawl under my mowers when I thought they might be dull, it would take at least an half hour or more to change them and get sharp ones on.

How many sets of blades does everybody carry on their rig ?

Do you change them once a day or every week?

Please give me your input on this issue , it's greatly appreciated.

May I ask how you change your blades because a half an hour seems like a loooooong time for me.

I would keep a few extra sets of blades so you can sharpen them at your conveninece then you'll always have a sharp set ready to go on.

How often to change them depends if you do 60 lawns a day or 60 lawns a week.

Just a quick answer, but if you do a search on this subject theres a lot more info on here.

Hope this helps!

jnjnlc
08-11-2001, 01:25 PM
30 minutes does seem like a long time. I can take mine off, sharpen them and put them back on in about 20 minues. If I have a set of shape ones I can change them in about 10 minutes. That is with doubles.

awm
08-11-2001, 01:42 PM
just a thought. try running the front castors up on one side of your ramp,so you can get to the blades . you might need to chalk a wb. to make it even easier order the little impact wrench that runs off a cigerette lighter.getum on ebay from 15 to 50 dollars.
takes all the work and most of the time out of it.
hope this helps later nowTM

captdevo
08-11-2001, 01:57 PM
i run Walkers, it takes only a few minutes to change blades with the flip-up decks.

Definately get yourself a 12v impact and a torque wrench.

i keep 10 sets of blades with cups and shear pins installed on hand. This way i can sharpen on weekends, evenings or rainy days.

Sharp blades are a cheap investment for quality cuts!!

I also change blades daily.

Mark
08-11-2001, 02:26 PM
I change blades every morning, I jack my deck up on the trailor it takes maby 10 to 15 min. I know this is off subject but if eric reads this post hey eric i just purchased a BG218 Pro Grinder,Diamond tip dresser,Mulch Plate,and Grit Collector......640 big ones. Hope it works out well im so used to the angel grinders. Marks Mowing Service

Guido
08-11-2001, 05:10 PM
Copngrats on your new purchase! :)

Your like me, I say if I'm going to do it, I'm going to fo it right! You went for the whole deal, huh?

I'm sure you'll love it. Let us know how it works out for you when you get it.

Grapevine
08-11-2001, 06:54 PM
We have 3 Walkers with the decks that go 90 degrees, takes about 3-5 minutes max to change blades which we do every day. Always keep a sharp set for each mower on the trailer in case you whack one and it needs replacing. We mow
20-25 lawns a day minimum which roughly equals Joe homeowner mowing his lawn the whole season. He'll probably have the mower shop sharpen them once when he gets it tuned up. I actually bought a RGB grinder years ago but still use the old 10" bench grinder when sharpening the blades.

Dennis Moon
08-11-2001, 07:40 PM
I have a Great Dane Chariot Jr, 52 inch. I can chang blades in about 10 minute with singles and about 15 minutes with doubles. If I have to sharpen them at the same time it takes me about 45 minutes because I'm still using an angle grinder...1 hour if I sharpen doubles. I like the way the blades attach on the GD's. The bolt holding the blade goes all the way through the spindle with a nut on top. I just run the front casters up on my trailer ramp and use an impact wrench to remove the nut. Sharpening is what is the killer for me. I hate it with the angle grinder. I think I'm going to buy a Fireball Jr blade grinder...been lookin at them on the internet lately, just haven't took the plung yet.

KirbysLawn
08-11-2001, 08:03 PM
With my Chariot I just pull it onto the ramp of my trailer, raise the deck and done in a few minutes.

With my walk behind I just attach a strap to the mower and a loop on the trailer floor, lift the front up, tighten the strap, and change the blades, again done in just a few minutes.

I sharpen all my blades at once and keep them all on the trailer, not sure how many...a bunch.

lee b
08-11-2001, 10:09 PM
I'm like Kirby, I have 6 sets of blades and keep'em on the trailer at all times. With the bahia grass growing like it is, sometimes I'll change blades twice a day, really sharp blades are a big help in bahia. Usuallly only takes about 10 minutes to change them with a ratchet.

Albemarle Lawn
08-11-2001, 10:22 PM
25 Hrs between sharpens. Pain in the arse on Gravely 260Z ZTR mowers.

New Kubota ZD18/ ZD21 has flip-up deck, a plus.

Ken

Eric ELM
08-11-2001, 11:23 PM
Hey Mark, I read that. Once you get used to that grinder, you sure will enjoy it.

Paul, I sharpen a weeks worth of blades at a time and we change them on the job when we get there. I pull the DC's up on the left side of the ramp so most of the deck is hanging over the side of the ramp. Once we have the blades and wrench ready, my helper and I can remove and replace the blades in 1 minute if we don't have to scrape the decks. I'm not sure how long it takes to get ready for this, but it's not long. He gets the middle and left blades, I get the one on the chute side from laying on the ramp. I then put the dull blades in the truck and get the next Chopper ready for blades. I know we can do both Choppers in no more than 10 minutes from the time we drop the gate til we are ready to mow. We really have a system down pat and we do this daily, so we get a lot of experiance.

When I get a new mower, one of the first things I do is run a tap into the spindle threads and a die over the bolt threads to clean out any paint, knicks, and dirt. Oil the bolts and you will be able to just loosen the bolts with a box end wrench and the give the blades a spin and they will turn the bolts out from just giving them a spin. After we put sharp blades on the bolts and starting them, we can give the blades a spin and they will turn the bolts in. We then torque them down and your all set to go. I guess if we ever have a Lawnsite Get Together, we will have to have a blade changing contest. :)

I still don't understand how some members still go a week or two without putting sharp blades on. Just because you are making the grass shorter, doesn't mean you are cutting it. You must be beating it to death. :(

Keeping sharp blades on is very important. Try shaving with a dull blade, it hurts. Can you emagine how the poor grass feels getting cut with a dull blade? :mad:

bubble boy
08-12-2001, 12:37 AM
yah, i thought a week was long. but i admit to letting it slide a couple days, esp. this time of year.

spring, every day. not only looks better, but less double cutting. youll save time in the end by far

that impact wrench that runs of the lighter outlet-is it really powerful enough?