PDA

View Full Version : Running Wire Across Lawns

ZX12R
05-09-2007, 10:57 PM
What is the best way to run wire across a lawn? I have only done a few installs so I am a novice.Anyway,on one job,I had to bury 10 AWG wire about 200' across a lawn.Cast makes a tool,almost like a spade that you hit into the ground with a sledgehammer,you ,then wiggle the tool back and forth and it spreads the ground apart.It worked fine,but,I am wondering what other methods some of you are using.Thanks for the replies in advance.

klkanders
05-10-2007, 12:06 AM
That method will work as well as jumping on a flat spade and spreading the ground apart, pushing wire in with a stick or piece of trim board then stamping sod back flat. I also have a brown bed edger that Im purchaing a 1/2" wide blade for. Making sure all utilities lines are marked is important also. Good Luck!

Pro-Scapes
05-10-2007, 12:58 AM
geez your not supposed to hit the trenching tool with a sledge your supposed to step on it or slam it into the ground then wiggle it. I find a shorty flat spade much faster. The kind with the D handle and it comes up to about your waist. kick it in at an angle and lift the turf. You should be around 6 inches this way. Then lay the turf back down and blow or rake and you will almost not even know someone was there.

Dreams To Designs
05-10-2007, 12:25 PM
A small trencher, puller or bed edger gets you down deep enough in tough soils, but for the easy going, a sharp spade and some wiggle.

Kirk

ChampionLS
05-10-2007, 01:22 PM
We use a EZ-Trencher for both Irrigation lines and LV wiring. Ours will go down 8-9" and can trench as fast as you can pull it. Brown makes a good one also.

Mr Priceless
05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
whatever you do, bury it. I chopped a coax cable mowing and it was pretty well nestled in ground (prolly the height of the grass bases)

Markf
05-10-2007, 10:46 PM
If I may add my 2 cents. We do numerous mulch jobs. When we use our bed edger, the edger will cut anything that is not buried to a proper depth. Irrigation lines, dog fence wires, etc. I would go deeper at the edge of a mulch bed.

Mark

ZX12R
05-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys!

LOL,Billy,the ground was very hard,thats why I hit it with a sledge.

Champion,I like the sound of that EZ Trencher.

Priceless,I have a house that I maintain the lawn.Another lighting company installed the lights.In some places on the lawn,the wire going to spider splice boxes is at dirt level.:dizzy:

extlights
05-10-2007, 11:18 PM
The Ez trencher is nice for longer dry runs on level ground. Ours doesn't like wet soil or any ground that has a grade. The other bad thing about it is the "zipper" it leaves. It takes some work to get that line looking decent after you're done. Using a shovel is really the way to go. It's a little more work, but the finished product looks a lot better in my opinion. We bought ours 3-4 years ago for around 2 grand or so and I think we may have used it only about 8-10 times. It's kind of a lot of money just sitting around for something to have "just in case".

Dreams To Designs
05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
When you cross from a mulch bed to the lawn, use a piece of pvc pipe a foot or so long at the transition as conduit, so that way when someone goes to cut the bed edge, they hit the pipe first and hopefully stop. This is where you really need to bury it deep enough to not hit it with a bed edger.

Kirk