PDA

View Full Version : Need flow meter

tlc2002
05-10-2007, 12:31 AM
I just bought a new 200 gal space saver skid sprayer and I would like to put on a flow meter to check the # of gals Im putting on but the lesco salesman had no clue what I was talking about Can any one help?

vegomatic40
05-10-2007, 09:26 AM
A company called GPI makes all kinds of turbine flowmeters for many different applications. I bought one years ago for my fill-system and it works great. My question is...Why do you think you need one for your spacesaver? Simply calibrating your rate/minute and then checking your site-guage before and after a treatment should be accurate enough for the purpose of recording amounts used. The other consideration is these are specialty use meters and are industrial quality. They are also priced accordingly (not cheap).

Grassmechanic
05-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Sounds like you need a different salesman. Lesco carries a digital flow meter.

tlc2002
05-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't like the way it is marked on side of tank it is in 20 gal marks

motoguy
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM
FWIW, I'm looking for one of these as well, for my 200gal skid sprayer. I figured it would be handy to have. Parking the truck on a hill, incline, ditch, or other non-level surface could potentially cause a misread on the gallons used if I'm only using the molded-in numbers. Often I've got to try to see which side of the tank is reading "high", and guess where the "level ground" reading would be.

Also, knowing the actual output would also help me with calibration, etc. I'd just like to have one. It would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :)

kbrashears
05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
FWIW, I'm looking for one of these as well, for my 200gal skid sprayer. I figured it would be handy to have. Parking the truck on a hill, incline, ditch, or other non-level surface could potentially cause a misread on the gallons used if I'm only using the molded-in numbers. Often I've got to try to see which side of the tank is reading "high", and guess where the "level ground" reading would be.

Also, knowing the actual output would also help me with calibration, etc. I'd just like to have one. It would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. :)
All you have to do is take the front measurement plus the back measurement and divide by two.

motoguy
05-11-2007, 05:19 PM
All you have to do is take the front measurement plus the back measurement and divide by two.

Agreed, if it's simply a front / back issue. How do you handle it if the truck is off camber as well? Ie, leaning left or right? Many things (where the truck is commonly parked) cause this; road crown, fill areas, curbs, ditches, debris piles, etc.

My tank is only marked on one side, so it's pretty much a guessing game on the other side. If it's a place where I'm parked off camber (side to side) and the front / rear aren't level, I'm guessing a lot. I've got to try to guess the "side to side" middle, and then guess the appropriate front to back "middle" as well. Bleh.

Not a big deal, but a flow meter would be an easy way to solve this. I'd rather buy a flow meter, than pull the truck back onto a known level surface each time to measure what the tank says...

Just call me lazy and / or pointlessly anal retentive. I'll gladly accept those labels. And it doesn't change the fact that I still want a flow meter. :)

Grassmechanic
05-11-2007, 05:48 PM
....and flow meters are a must for doing deep root injections to get the proper amount of product to the root zone.

mkroher
05-11-2007, 06:12 PM
motoguy: i agree with you. but it doesn't matter if the truck isn't level. Subtracting your finish from your start will be the same either or. But.. a flow meter would be kick ass to have. I want to get one myself. For filling, and squirtin.

motoguy
05-11-2007, 06:45 PM
motoguy: i agree with you. but it doesn't matter if the truck isn't level. Subtracting your finish from your start will be the same either or.
Agreed, if you're measuring with the truck sitting in the same spot, or on level ground each time. The problem is that my truck often starts at one area, and finishes at another. I may start with the truck nosed up an incline (spraying off the back), and end with it across the field, sideways on an embankment (spraying off a side). Those two different measurement situations make the guess work less accurate than I'd like.

Now, this could be avoided by choosing one spot for both the start and finish measurements...but I don't want to move the truck to a spot -just- to measure when I'm done with a job. That's a PITA, and I have to wait a bit (after moving the truck) for the mix to "calm down" and quit sloshing (ahh, to have a baffled tank).

I'd rather just have a resettable flow meter on the rig. Check the number when I'm done with the job, regardless of where the truck sits or in what orientation. Write the number down. Hit the "reset" button on the meter. Drive to next job. Repeat as necessary. ;)

Regardless of why it could be argued I don't -need- a flow meter, I -want- a flow meter. That's all that matters. So where can I find an appropriate unit? :)

vegomatic40
05-11-2007, 10:01 PM
GPI Great Plains Industries in Wichita KS.( 316-686-7361)they have exactly what you need. Tell 'em what GPM range and chemicals used etc. then pry open your checkbook.

mkroher
05-12-2007, 08:21 AM
https://shop.tuthill.com/Sotera/product_specific.asp?id=9

Hogjaw
05-17-2007, 11:28 PM
We have two of the space savers and really do like.

Kinda like you..............have considered the flow meter for self enjoyment and personal satisfaction.

Remember, you only live once.

americanlawn
05-18-2007, 08:45 PM
tlc2002 -- I really do not think you need a flow meter except when you are filling the tank. After 3 or 4 lawns, you will be able to determine if you are going heavy or light. Get your pattern & spray rate down after 1 or 2 lawns, then you will be comfortable with it. Some lawns will need heavier applications due to weeds or lack of fert. At the end of the day, you'll be right on.

mkroher
05-18-2007, 08:50 PM
americanlawn: he wants it.. just to have it. New gadgets are always cool to have.

motoguy
05-18-2007, 08:54 PM
americanlawn: he wants it.. just to have it. New gadgets are always cool to have.
+1. That's my view on the issue as well.

americanlawn
05-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Cool! All of us experienced guys quickly learn. Sometimes too much is too much. LOL Have a great summer -- hope you can take weekends off soon.

Kind regards, americanlawn