PDA

View Full Version : What types of ear protection are you using?

NittanyLawncare
05-10-2007, 01:52 AM
I wanted to see what types of ear protection are being used while cutting. You can vote or if its a specific style, post it. I use a set of Shure e3's, you can listen to music, they do very well to block out noise, and I can use them for drumming when I'm not cutting. What do you use?

jbone
05-10-2007, 02:05 AM
the exact same thing. I love listening to music while mowing. I dont know what I would do without them!!

topsites
05-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I use a combination, more so due to levels of comfort throughout the season.

I find the muffs (mickey mouse ears) are great when the temps are cool, once it gets chilly outside they tend to keep my ears warm. That, and they're fast getting off-and-on.

The plugs are better once it gets hot, but for some reason if I wear these for long periods of time, sometimes my ears get to hurting, still I find keeping my ears cooler helps keep me cool, kinda, the heat is just a killer. They're a bit slower to put in and I like to be careful pulling them back out, but I like how they don't get caught up on low hanging branches and other obstacles.

I do use earbuds, but they're for listening to music, I usually wear the mickey mouse over those for a better silence, I find the buds themselves don't seal so good.

Beyond that, if I want total peace and quiet, I've worn both plugs + muffs, ahhh.

But yeah, I don't run equipment without hearing protection, maybe once in a bit for a few minutes, but I don't like doing it, always wear something to help protect the ear canal from noise.

Vikings
05-12-2007, 01:33 PM
I would plugs that hook to my cell to let me know when it's ringing.

carcrz
05-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I wear Work Tunes that I got from the Depot. I figure for $50 & they last 2 years that's not too bad. My wife tells me I talk to myself less when I have had music going all day.

FearThisDeere
05-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I wear the cans just because I don't like those ear plugs. I don't think the plugs work as well, but those cans get soooo hot. I'm going to get one of the Work Tunes soon. A guy I know has had his for years. They're pretty cool!

RedMax Man
05-13-2007, 11:09 AM
AoSafety Professional cans and Work Tunes. The work tunes are falling apart, the batteries are duct taped to keep them on so its time for a new pair and the reception is terrible. I've had them a few years. Music and the radio can get boring after awhile so i have the regular ones also and i don't have to always be searching for stations.

topsites
05-13-2007, 11:24 AM
I wear the cans just because I don't like those ear plugs. I don't think the plugs work as well, but those cans get soooo hot.

Yeah, the heat bothers me to no end with the muffs but I do like them too.
As for noise reduction, a good quality plug is better than my Stihl muffs.

The trick with the plugs is:
1) You need a TON of good quality plugs cheap.
> I bought a box of 200 pairs from Napa (I think $40 or so), so I have plenty.
> Get the solid foam, not the plastic pine trees.
> No cords, you can try it but I find the cord gets in the way.
2) Use clean plugs!
> Once they get grubby, don't wear those no more.
>> You can wash them in the machine, then let air dry for several days.
3) Takes time, you got to roll them between your fingers a bit, each side.
> Hard to keep them from getting grubby, but it is the trick.
>> Fresh or new plugs 'roll' best.
4) Stick in ear carefully, they have to go in the ear canal but not too far in!
> Takes practice, because the foam expands the entire time, so aim and first try in works best.
> Remove slowly as well.
5) The foam loses its properties before too long.
> Meaning it doesn't stay 'rolled' right, I might get a week out of a pair, 3-4 days really.
>> Washing once is ok, by the second time you wash them that's about it.
>>> Still, 200 pairs $40, wear 2-3 days a pair + wash once + wear again = several years / box.

When plugs suck, dispose, grab another pair, and an extra.
Always have an extra pair around.

Other notes: I thought I was the only one who talked to myself, I am sure I do this a lot :laugh:

NittanyLawncare
05-13-2007, 03:23 PM
The WorkPhones look pretty cool, but I bet they get hot like the muffs. I used to use earphones(the little ones that just sat in your ear) and put muffs over top of them, I used them for drumming and they worked pretty well. Then I found the Shure E3's, the sound quality is supurb and with the foam earpiece they block out 33bB, very good for when I'm using the equiptment. Here's my set, only problem is they sell for about $189 :( I got mine a bit cheaper online, their worth every penny.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/krk145/randompictures/Headphones.jpg

ncls
05-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Pardon me??? I couldn't hear you...;)

Turf Troll
05-13-2007, 05:23 PM
I find the muffs (mickey mouse ears) are great when the temps are cool, once it gets chilly outside they tend to keep my ears warm. That, and they're fast getting off-and-on.

The plugs are better once it gets hot, but for some reason if I wear these for long periods of time, sometimes my ears get to hurting, still I find keeping my ears cooler helps keep me cool, kinda, the heat is just a killer. They're a bit slower to put in and I like to be careful pulling them back out, but I like how they don't get caught up on low hanging branches and other obstacles.

Me Too,

The muffs with radio end up in the wash last year, I just picked up a arm load of clothes to wash and threw them in the washer not knowing they where in the clothes , oh well :hammerhead:

jsf343
05-13-2007, 06:15 PM
The WorkPhones look pretty cool, but I bet they get hot like the muffs. I used to use earphones(the little ones that just sat in your ear) and put muffs over top of them, I used them for drumming and they worked pretty well. Then I found the Shure E3's, the sound quality is supurb and with the foam earpiece they block out 33bB, very good for when I'm using the equiptment. Here's my set, only problem is they sell for about $189 :( I got mine a bit cheaper online, their worth every penny.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/krk145/randompictures/Headphones.jpg

Hey nittany, where did you find those? do you have a link you could send me? also what do you use with them? (radio?)

NittanyLawncare
05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Sure. I just searched for shure e3 in google product search and came up with this link at $116, this place (comp-u-plus) is actually where I got mine, but it was a year ago and they were $126. I use them with an iPod, the plug is 1/8" like you would find on any set of headphones.
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Shure-E3-Sound-Isolating-In-Ear-Earphones-With-Extended-Frequency-Response-Color-Grey-1006830~.html?sid=b46b0ue6i7zy7ax

They use Wide-Band High Energy Micro Drivers, the same thing that are used in high end hearing aides. I am really impressed with the sound quality, crisp highs and deep lows. You can also get the G gaming edition that are black, or the I mobile series that are white. Mine are the E series which is the pro musician series. They are all the same earbuds, just different colors in different verisons, but expect to pay a little more for the black or white vs. the grey. Here's the link to shures website where you can find out more about them.
http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/index.htm

They also make a Shure E2 http://www.headphone.com/productPhotos.php?icn=0020331002 which is one step below the E3 (;) ), you could probably find them for about $60 and they are quite good. They also have the foam earpiece, but they use a dynamic driver (like one in regular headphones). The quality of the driver is what your paying for, and I could tell when I tried them both.

The foam pieces are replaceable and you can also use the rubber ones (both come with the package). You can also buy the christmas tree looking ones which probably block noise like the foam, but don't deteriorate. If your really picky, you can go to an audiologist and get one's custom molded to your ears (e3 only). The rubber ones that come in the package don't block noise as well, but that can be a good thing when walking around busy streets. :rolleyes:

Also, my cousin bought a pair of etymotic's (http://www.etymotic.com/), their basically the same thing, but I tried them when drumming and they didn't block sound as well and the bass was fairly non-existant. The Shures sound is incredible, they make some of the most professional electronic audio equiptment in the world.

Hope that helps, let me know what you think if you pick them up (oh, if you go to a muscian's store, they will probably have a display where you can try them out).
http://www.personal.psu.edu/krk145/randompictures/Earphoneends.jpg
http://www.personal.psu.edu/krk145/randompictures/Earphones3.jpg

J&T Kiev
05-13-2007, 08:46 PM
I buy Disposable earplugs, 200 to a box 26.50.

Poncho25
05-13-2007, 09:15 PM
I use Work Tunes, yes they get hot underneigth but for now its the best bang for the buck, i will probably put my mp3 earphones inside them soon and just use that along with the Work Tunes headset. Will figure something out :)

Poncho25
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I use Work Tunes, yes they get hot underneath but for now its the best bang for the buck, i will probably put my mp3 earphones inside them soon and just use that along with the Work Tunes headset. Will figure something out :)

txgrassguy
05-14-2007, 01:02 AM
I use anatomically molded ear protection at all times.
Regardless if it is something as small as a 21" mower all the way to my tractor, especially when the pto powered chipper is running.
These types of ear plugs are available at any decent audiologist's office, usually around $65.00 or so and last for many years.
Opt for the plugs with the valves in them and you can have a normal conversation with the plugs in your ears and still have a db reduction well over that of muffs or the less costly disposable plugs.