PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa/Stihl Power Broom Uses

joed
08-11-2001, 03:15 PM
Would a Shindaiwa or Stihl Power Broom be useful for the following applications:
1. Moving leaves, in the fall, to the street.
2. Moving light snow in the winter.
3. Dethatching or moving thatch.
4. Cleaning caked or packed asphalt from sidewalks and curbs.
Thanks for the help

Tony
08-11-2001, 03:58 PM
They are great for moving light snow detatching and moving gravel from curbs. I don't know about packed asphalt or moving leaves. I've sold some Shindaiwa units and they perform fine. Look around and you should be able to find a good deal on one.

Guido
08-11-2001, 04:05 PM
sand and stuff at the edge of the yards after winter is over, will take much of anything off of concrete or asphalt, but I dought it is strong enough to take asphalt scarps up. Use a torch and a flat shovel for that.

If you would run around and de-thatch a whole yard with that thing, you could try, not me :) I'll get a walk behind de-thatcher or rent one.

Go to your dealer and tell him you want to demo the power broom, its best to see for yourself!

And yes it does light snow too.

Eric ELM
08-11-2001, 10:56 PM
I have the Shindaiwa PB27 Power Broom and I sure like it. It will do light snow, but it's sure not a snow blower. ;)

What is nice is in spring clean ups in case a snow plow has pushed gravel onto the lawns. It will do a great job of removing that. If mulch washes away from mulched areas in a downpour of rain, it will clean that up nice also.

A blower will work best for leaves, but a power broom will clean up those wet packed down ones. I've heard if you use the bristle heads, it will do a fair job on dethatching a small lawn. Get a demo on one, they are handy.

morturf
08-12-2001, 02:13 PM
Ok, how about cleaning up fallen apples. A few properties i maintain have apple trees and the apples are very thick. I use a power broom and a FEL on my tractor. All i have to do is shoot them into the bucket and off we go......

also use it to cleanup in the spring....couldn't get along without it now......great machine.

gene gls
08-12-2001, 10:05 PM
I have one of each type of Shindawa power brooms. The rubber paddle head is good for sand and debre on hard surfaces and sticks and achorns on lawn areas that a larger power brush can't reach. The brissel head is best used in small grass areas.I found that you have to turn it up side down and pull it toward you for best results.

Gene

adam.neusbaum
06-07-2011, 10:00 PM
If I get a solid yes on this then I'll be shopping for a stick power broom tomorrow. Here we go: a Pick-up truck full of mulch or compost sol- can I empty the truck bed into a wheelbarrow using one? Instead of how I currently do it with a come-a-long (cement placer). It's the same motion am I'm doing, only faster.
Hope you can picture what I'm asking