PDA

View Full Version : Advice

komalley
08-11-2001, 04:20 PM
Hello all, I am a ambitious 16yr old who really wants to get into the business, I know its pretty late in the season to start so I am planning on next year, my dad doesnt think I want to push a lawn mower my whole life but I have big plans on what I want to do, I worked for a guy last summer and loved the money and the job so I figure what could be better than this? If you guys could give me some advice on buying epuipment, how to get clients, you know general info, I would be most appreciative. Thanks again!
- Kevin O'Malley

Guido
08-11-2001, 04:38 PM
but if you ise the search feature here all those questions have been answered a billion times. If not, just read through the last years posts (pick and choose) and you'll learn a ton! If you have any questions that are specific, post them or e-mail someone, etc.

Like most others here, I'm glad to help, but in one message I can't tell you everything I know about every aspect of this large industry.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2001, 05:18 PM
What Gwee-Dow said.

LGF:blob1:

Guido
08-11-2001, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
What Gwee-Dow said.

Thats Gwee - DOH !!

;)

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2001, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by guido

Thats Gwee - DOH !!

;)

sorry Gwee-Doh!

John Allin
08-11-2001, 05:57 PM
23 years ago my Dad advised me not to get into business for myself.

Now he works for me.

Guido
08-11-2001, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by John Allin
23 years ago my Dad advised me not to get into business for myself.

Now he works for me.

No Sh...! That should be a statement you think of for inspiration for your endeavor, but I wouldn't tell your dad he'll be working for you in 20 years, it'll just piss him off more about the subject! :)

And just so you know the size of John's success, check out his website: http://www.allinco.com

I'm sure your dad will come around as long as you prove your dedication to him.

Good Luck!

awm
08-11-2001, 06:22 PM
i would advise a good used walkbehind mower or a new hydrostat murray. stay with 42 inch on the murray mower for two blade cut . also its consumer so lub every thing twice as often,
as you normaly would. a little craftman trimmer or an echo if you can afford it. look for store returns as these are usually owner
lack of knowledge problems.
as far as getting jobs you are in the best position .
go clean cut and speak respectfully . people just feel comfotable with a young man who does good work and doesnt make them feel uneasy.
some will differ with me on the murray but its real cheap and lubricated well it will stand up to commercial work. by the way im talkin briggs engine.
you wont be the fastest draw in town ,but you can lay down a smooth cut with their esy deck leveling.good luck and stay away from my accts.:) later now
ps be sure and use echo 50-1 and high octane on your 2 cycles
unless you just like to tinker withum and pull crank ropes.
mix exact.

Guido
08-11-2001, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by awm
some will differ with me on the murray but its real cheap and lubricated well it will stand up to commercial work. by the way im talkin briggs engine.

Yup, we will definetly differ! :)

vipermanz
08-11-2001, 06:55 PM
Your on a roll huh?, gwee-dough!