PDA

View Full Version : I need your advice on my trailer situation

Lawnworks
08-11-2001, 04:32 PM
I have a 5.5x9 open trailor w/ basket and trimmer racks. I don't have a garage and I put a tarp over my equipment in my drive way. I really want to keep my mower out of the weather better. I am seriouly considering a 6x10 enclosed trailer for $1550. I pull my open trailer w/ a 4.0 Ranger. Will this be enough power to pull the enclosed? Do you think 6x10 is big enough to move around in? I have only one mower, a 60" DC. Please don't tell me to use the search feature because I already have and pretty much know the pros and cons. And also, please don't tell me to go buy an F-250 and and a 14ft trailor. I believe in making money. If you were in my situation, what would you do?

Thanks
Rick

lawnboy82
08-11-2001, 04:53 PM
ford ranger is way too small for that heavy a trailer. but go ahead and buy it if you think your truck will pull it. just budget in for new tranny pretty soon, as well as the added gas costs, and other misc breakdowns.

Guido
08-11-2001, 04:53 PM
we're going to tell you to buy a bigger truck and a bigger trailer!
:) (because its not our company and more importantly not our $$!!)

Seriously though, If you think your Ranger can pull it, and you want this thing that bad, go for it!

What I will say (besides buy a F-250 and 16' trailer) is to think about the investment your making as just that, an investment. If you plan on growing your business ANY bigger than it is right now, YOU WILL NEED a larger trailer, and in turn a larger truck. So, ask yourself "Self, Is it worth me investing all this money into a new trailer that I will outgrow in a year or two, or should I put the money into a mutual fund (to save for a bigger truck and trailer) and use a tarp for now?".

If this is really a necessity to you at the moment, who's to stop you? But my suggestion would be to wait for now.

If you haven't got turned off to my post by now and your still paying attention, here is something that might be worth looking into for your concerns.

Go to an awning factory and see what they can do. They should be able to set you up with a decent curved roof (sort of like a horse trailer look) and it will keep you in the dry.

There are a lot more advantages to a large enclosed trailer besides keeping out the weather, but this seems to be the one your concerned with the most.

Hope this Helps!

Randy Scott
08-11-2001, 05:17 PM
If you already have a 5.5 x 9 open trailer, you should have a pretty good idea of how much room you would have to walk around in a 6 x 10 enclosed! Obviously access to your trimmers and blower and what have you will be a little more difficult than with the open. Most likely it will be more of a pain in the a$$ with that small of an enclosed. Does it have a side door? How high is the ceiling? I'm sure your Ranger will pull the enclosed halfway decent. Is it going to lose speed up hills? Absolutely! Will it be good enough? Absolutely! It's all a matter of what you desire and will put up with. What year is the truck? How many miles on it? How well has it been maintained? That will decide your maintenance costs also. Like Guido said, maybe tough it out for another year or so and see the direction your business goes and decide then. The old cliche often holds true that "bigger is better". Everyone has different views on this stuff. Good luck with your decision!

LAWNGODFATHER
08-11-2001, 05:25 PM
YEA what Gwee-Dow said.

But once you get a small enclosed trailer it will be tight to move around in it

Just make sure it has trailer brakes for the muck more added weight to the trailer and truck

And make sure you use them too.

LGF:blob1:

lawrence stone
08-11-2001, 06:47 PM
Go out to the Home Depot and get some 5/8 marine grade plywood and some 2 x 2's and hardware.

Run the plywood length wise and make a roof like a clamshell so it will close and lock when not in use and it will be open during the day so you can get to your equipment.

Paint it to color match your truck. Have a real sign painter do something easy to read from a bit of a distance.

Take the $1350 you saved vs. a new trailer and go to Disneyland!!!

BTW why did you buy a trailer that was only 9" long?

Only going 5.5' wide was a smart move but why not buy the
12 foot model? They would have been about the same price.

My trailer is Performance brand trailer 5.5 x 12 and it is real HD, weights 900lbs empty.

Those little haulmark enclosed trailers break the tongues right off where they attach to the trailer on I-80 and I-81 in PA. I have seen many on the side of the road. Old concrete interstates with buckled expansion joints from heavy truck usage and a constant freeze thaw cycle all winter do those little toy trailers in real quick.

Lawnworks
08-11-2001, 06:59 PM
My biggest concern is keeping my Chopper out of the weather. A Chopper is a big investment for an 18 year old and I want to keep it in the best condition. The tarp doesn't work real well all the time, but maybe I can look into getting a canvas garage/shelter-thingie. I just don't want to see any rust spots on my Chopper if ya know what I mean. Thanks for the posts. The F-250 and 14' trailer are coming, but it is going to a few years. I gotta find me some dang Mexicans too!

LoneStarLawn
08-11-2001, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Lawnworks
My biggest concern is keeping my Chopper out of the weather. A Chopper is a big investment for an 18 year old and I want to keep it in the best condition. The tarp doesn't work real well all the time, but maybe I can look into getting a canvas garage/shelter-thingie.

Since it is a big investment....Why wasn't that thought of during purchase? Why wasn't it a concern then? You should have asked yourself, "Where am I going to store this thing?"

Keeping things in good shape will always cost more money thatn the purchase itself and should also be accounted for when making a purchase.

jeffyr
08-11-2001, 08:00 PM
Plan A: If you want to see how the truck will handle the weight, get the gross weight of the new trailer from the manufacturer. Take the difference of that and your current trailer. Load all of your equipment on your trailer, along with the extra weight (throw on an extra mower or sandbags). This will tell you how your truck will pull it.

Actually that is a stupid idea....you won't be able to stop it well since your 5.5 x 9 doesn't have brakes.

Plan B : Do what Lawrence said.....all but the Disney part. Buy yourself a home theatre or something else you can enjoy all year round. (Blow $1200 in a week Mr. Stone !!! I am amazed !!!)

Plan C: Get a price on a larger trailer than the 6x10. It may only be a couple hundred more for 4 more feet. That cost spread over the number of years you own it will be pennies a day. Sally Struthers couldn't break it down any better (for the price of a cup of coffee you could support this family......).

Is that enough opinions ?

jeffyr

lawnboy82
08-11-2001, 08:18 PM
lawnworks- how many days per week are you cutting grass? because if you cut 3 days a week lets say, then find someplace where you can keep your stuff inside for the days you dont use it. and when you do use it- let the machine cool off, and then put the tarp on it. how many lawns are you cutting now anyways- if you are lookin for helpers. and please dont refer to your employees as "some dang mexicans" these people are hard workers, they are for the most part good people, they will work probably better than any other employee you have ever had. also- these people do not only come from mexico. they come from equador (my people) / guatemala / mexico and there are some other nationalities in there as well. however the others are not in as large of numbers. so please show some respect for the people who work for a majority of the lawnsite members. - i may treat my guys like dirt sometimes- but if they need my help i am there for them. i dont push them very hard (we still get a lot of work done). and i pay them well.

Joatmon
08-11-2001, 09:08 PM
Do you have enough room by your house to put a small structure up? If you do, you can put up a 10'x16' frame with commercial tin roofing for around 300.00. For about 400.00 more you could enclose 3 sides of the structure with the same metal. Just a thought...

Joatmon

sheppard
08-11-2001, 09:34 PM
Have you thought about a small portable 'shed' or ready made workshop area? Costs much less then an an enclosed trailer.

Sheppard

Lawnworks
08-11-2001, 11:08 PM
Lawrence Stone:
"BTW why did you buy a trailer that was only 9" long?"

I bought because that is all I need. I have only one mower. If the job doesn't mesh w/ my mower I don't take it. Plus it my mower fits perfectly on my trailer. I don't have to strap it down.

lawnboy82 you said
"please dont refer to your employees as "some dang mexicans" these people are hard workers, they are for the most part good people, they will work probably better than any other employee you have ever had. also- these people do not only come from mexico. they come from equador (my people) / guatemala / mexico and there are some other nationalities in there as well. however the others are not in as large of numbers. so please show some respect for the people who work for a majority of the lawnsite members"

Why do you think I want some "dang mexicans"? I know they are hard workers. I do not try to be politically correct. I am one of those guys that would wear the rocker for president t-shirts. I believe in stating it like it is, and that is what he did. BTW if you can't tell I vote REPUBLICAN!!

Thanks for all yalls posts. I will think about the advice.

Rick
LawnWorks