View Full Version : Fungus remedy

05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Hello to all. A good customer of mine who does all his own yard work except cutting has what I see as dead rings with green grass in the center (fairy ring maybe). He has asked me to thatch his lawn this weekend and then he intends to apply a granular (Scotts) fungacide treatement. Sounds good but with the temps being 70 + in the northeast I think he may add a possible crabgrass problem that he is controlling over the last 2-3 years. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
If it is a sod or bluegrass lawn--it could be necrotic ring spot. Dead sunken rings with healthy grass in center. Rings about 15 to 18 inches diameter.
Does it look like this?

If it is NRS then fungicides are not much help--my opinion. He would be better off reseeding the spots with top quality Scotts seed. Or...cut out the spot square and the surrounding 6 inches. Then patch with a new piece of sod. (Better quality sod.)

05-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds like what RigglePLC said. Sometimes called "summer patch". 3 or 4 or 5 fungicide treatments can prevent most of it, but treatments are very expensive, and they need to be done every spring/summer.

Permanent solution is to seed the spots with resistent cultivars of Kentucky blue. Best time in N.J. = late August/early September.

Lawns growing in heavy soils with lots of irrigation are tend to be the worst.