PDA

View Full Version : Fungus remedy

tipptop
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Hello to all. A good customer of mine who does all his own yard work except cutting has what I see as dead rings with green grass in the center (fairy ring maybe). He has asked me to thatch his lawn this weekend and then he intends to apply a granular (Scotts) fungacide treatement. Sounds good but with the temps being 70 + in the northeast I think he may add a possible crabgrass problem that he is controlling over the last 2-3 years. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

RigglePLC
05-10-2007, 08:09 PM
If it is a sod or bluegrass lawn--it could be necrotic ring spot. Dead sunken rings with healthy grass in center. Rings about 15 to 18 inches diameter.
Does it look like this?
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02900.html

If it is NRS then fungicides are not much help--my opinion. He would be better off reseeding the spots with top quality Scotts seed. Or...cut out the spot square and the surrounding 6 inches. Then patch with a new piece of sod. (Better quality sod.)

americanlawn
05-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Sounds like what RigglePLC said. Sometimes called "summer patch". 3 or 4 or 5 fungicide treatments can prevent most of it, but treatments are very expensive, and they need to be done every spring/summer.

Permanent solution is to seed the spots with resistent cultivars of Kentucky blue. Best time in N.J. = late August/early September.

Lawns growing in heavy soils with lots of irrigation are tend to be the worst.