PDA

View Full Version : seed partly new lawn

mbrunton
05-10-2007, 05:56 PM
I recently had a landscaper seed my new lawn in the fall. I now have some bare spots and want to spot seed and maybe just completely re-seed. I am not sure on what type of grass seed he used, but I know the bag had John Deere on it. I live NJ.

Can I just get some Scotts seed at home depot? I asked the landscaper to find what type of seed, but he has not called me back yet.

mbrunton
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Here's what my grass looks like.. Hope this helps...

Rtom45
05-11-2007, 10:20 AM
There are hundreds of seed varieties, many many seed mixes and blends. If you're trying to match whats in your lawn now, you'll have to get an answer from the contractor who installed it. On the other hand, save yourself a bunch of time and aggravation, buy a good quality bluegrass - rye grass mix and use that. The difference between varieties of a species is so small only a turfgrass expert will be able to find any difference.

mbrunton
05-11-2007, 10:52 AM
thanks for the help... Does home depot or lowes carry any good seed?

leejp
05-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Not really. The Scotts stuff is just so-so and I think the big box stores are EXPENSIVE!

If you can't get in touch with the guy who put the lawn in, I would take a sample of your grass to a good garden/nursery and they may be able to identify it for you and may have it in stock.

If they don't have the same variety in stock... Try summit seed company

http://www.summitseed.com/

BTW... your lawn looks like bluegrass. Smaller barespots (basketball size or less) will fill in quickly with water and fertilizer.

Capemay Eagle
05-11-2007, 03:04 PM
thanks for the help... Does home depot or lowes carry any good seed?Where are you at in Jersey??I know a good store for seed, if you are in the Atlantic, Cape may county area. You might want to stick to a tall fescue, rye mix.

mbrunton
05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
i am in Northern NJ. Morris county

cross1933
07-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Not really. The Scotts stuff is just so-so and I think the big box stores are EXPENSIVE!

If you can't get in touch with the guy who put the lawn in, I would take a sample of your grass to a good garden/nursery and they may be able to identify it for you and may have it in stock.

If they don't have the same variety in stock... Try summit seed company

http://www.summitseed.com/

BTW... your lawn looks like bluegrass. Smaller barespots (basketball size or less) will fill in quickly with water and fertilizer.

Have you used Summit Seed, I was considering some seed from there. When contacted them they recommended,
NU LAWN MIX
Top Quality Lawn, 55% Elite KBG,45% Fine Fescue & Perennial Ryegrass
30% FORTITUDE Strong Creeping Red Fescue
20% BOUTIQUE Kentucky Bluegrass,
20% MIDNIGHT STAR Kentucky Bluegrass
15% BROOKLAWN Kentucky Bluegrass
15% PROMISE Perennial Ryegrass

I will be reseeding part of my back yard here in the fall. I will be getting extra to over seed the remainder of the yard.

leejp
07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Have you used Summit Seed, I was considering some seed from there. When contacted them they recommended,
NU LAWN MIX

I will be reseeding part of my back yard here in the fall. I will be getting extra to over seed the remainder of the yard.

I bought from them when I had a bluegrass lawn. They're very professional and excellent to deal with.

I now have a tttf (turf type tall fescue) lawn. Titan limited...

http://www.titanlimited.com/

I bought from Athens seed in Georgia. Good prices, nice people to deal with but their e-commerce site leaves much to be desired.

http://www.athensseed.com/

I'm pretty happy with the Titan Limited. I don't water. Too lazy and really don't mind if the grass is a bit dry 4~6 weeks between July and August. and it seems to hold up well.

...And yes they do spread via rhizomes but it is a bit overhyped. The barespots do fill in but it takes a ong time (an entire season).

cross1933
07-09-2007, 01:06 PM
I bought from them when I had a bluegrass lawn. They're very professional and excellent to deal with.

I now have a tttf (turf type tall fescue) lawn. Titan limited...

http://www.titanlimited.com/

I bought from Athens seed in Georgia. Good prices, nice people to deal with but their e-commerce site leaves much to be desired.

http://www.athensseed.com/

I'm pretty happy with the Titan Limited. I don't water. Too lazy and really don't mind if the grass is a bit dry 4~6 weeks between July and August. and it seems to hold up well.

...And yes they do spread via rhizomes but it is a bit overhyped. The barespots do fill in but it takes a ong time (an entire season).

Which grass do you prefer better, what are the differences? I read you link on the Titan seed, it sounds interesting.

KS_Grasscutter
07-09-2007, 01:42 PM

I have had good luck with some seed from there. Last lawn I reseeded I used Pennington K31 and that lawn looks GREAT now (could also be because this spring we had the most perfect conditions for getting grass to grow anyone could even hope for).

cross1933
07-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I am leaning towards the,
NU LAWN MIX
Top Quality Lawn, 55% Elite KBG,45% Fine Fescue & Perennial Ryegrass
30% FORTITUDE Strong Creeping Red Fescue
20% BOUTIQUE Kentucky Bluegrass,
20% MIDNIGHT STAR Kentucky Bluegrass
15% BROOKLAWN Kentucky Bluegrass
15% PROMISE Perennial Ryegrass
$5.02/lb

Or a local FS has what they call Deluxe Mix,they state this is the most used in my area.
1/3 Kentucky Blue grass
1/3 Creeping Red Fescue
1/3 Rye Fescue(not positive on this)
$1.67/lb

I thing I will get a pound of this and plant a test sample. I will post later tonight the complete specs. off the container.

leejp
07-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Which grass do you prefer better, what are the differences? I read you link on the Titan seed, it sounds interesting.

The Titan is hardier and is only slightly less attractive than bluegrass. Thae blades are a little wider and the color is slightly less green. However... this time of the year the bluegrass goes dormant and I notice the Titan Tall Fescue is still green.

Personally I think that a monoculture (all one type of grass) does more for how attractive a lawn is than the blade width or color. I prefer a consistent texture and color over the entire lawn. I just didn't want to go through the trouble of killing off all of the old grass and starting over so I overseeded and have a mixed lawn. I'll just continue to overseed every few years.

cross1933
07-10-2007, 08:25 AM
The Titan is hardier and is only slightly less attractive than bluegrass. Thae blades are a little wider and the color is slightly less green. However... this time of the year the bluegrass goes dormant and I notice the Titan Tall Fescue is still green.

Personally I think that a monoculture (all one type of grass) does more for how attractive a lawn is than the blade width or color. I prefer a consistent texture and color over the entire lawn. I just didn't want to go through the trouble of killing off all of the old grass and starting over so I overseeded and have a mixed lawn. I'll just continue to overseed every few years.

I also like the one look type of grass, dark green is the best in my opinion.I will find the seed that I wand and start the new area with that. I will continue to over seed the yard with that seed to hopefully have that seed take over. I might try to get some of the Nu Lawn mix and make another test pot to compare the two.

I purchased some of the "Supreme" lawn seed from the local FS last night. I planted some in a 12" pot to see what it looks like. I soaked the soil and set it on the back stoop, then a storm dumped more rain on it.

cross1933
07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I ordered one pound of the NuLawn Mix from Summit seed to make another test sample.